• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Garden/Yard photos from Yesterday

BobbyinNY

My trachy...... Put on about 6 inches of trunk from last year..post-57-1251556156_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Phoenix Roeb (3rd year in the ground and growing strong)

post-57-1251556284_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

post-57-1251556359_thumb.jpgSome bananas......

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

post-57-1251556464_thumb.jpgoverall backyard view.....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

another part of the backyard area......

post-57-1251556574_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

YAY! Bobby's alive!!!

Garden looks as wonderful as always too! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

WHOA! Crotons and Roebellini's have some nice size to them. How do you keep them alive during the winter?

LA | NY | OC

Nice tropical vibe Bobby, I can hear the drums and see tiki torches in your backyard. Good job.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

YAY! Bobby's alive!!!

Garden looks as wonderful as always too! :D

awww... thanks, Bill..... Yeah, I'm here.....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

WHOA! Crotons and Roebellini's have some nice size to them. How do you keep them alive during the winter?

It's a ton of work... some stuff (mostly the really big palms) I send to a commercial greenhouse, some stuff I winter over in my own pop-up greenhouse, and some stuff (like the windmill), I just put a cover over and hope for the best - so far, so good

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Well tie me down to a hog's head, if it ain't bobby in new bloody york.

Photo # 1 ? as good as it gets !

cheers

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice Bobby!

Your 7a garden looks better than my 9b...

Will I see lower Manhattan in your yard this winter? (palmscrapers)

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Welcome back Bobby! Absolutely beautiful garden!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Hey Bobby, good to see you back here again. We were all hoping you'd make another post soon. Your garden looks great. Are you sure you are still in NY? The pictures place you farther south! Anyway keep up the hard work that makes your garden special.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I'm not gonna show my wife your pics or she'll wonder why she moved to Florida! Nice job :) Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hey Bobby it is nice to see that you surfaced and seem to be doing well. I think about you from time to time. Palm Talk is just not the same without your input from NY.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I'm curious, is some of your stuff kept in pots but sunk in the ground to give the appearance of being in ground?

Wow Bobby, congrats for the garden show !!! The Trachycarpus and companion plants make a very attractive view. Are these Adonidia the same ones you used to winter in the living room?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Super garden, Bobby. I'm in awe.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We missed you Bobby. Glad to see you're still at it.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

You never cease to amaze me Bobby with your New York tropical yard ~ WOW !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Bobby, it's great to see you're back again. Where ya bin man??????

You've got an incredible garden going there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Everything is looking great. I'm sure they love those wet, sticky, Long Island summers. Nice job on the crotons. Very vibrant colors. I thought you were moving down to Florida. What happened?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Nice Bobby!

Your 7a garden looks better than my 9b...

Will I see lower Manhattan in your yard this winter? (palmscrapers)

lol... No, Frank.... that big one was way too much work..... I'll just put up a couple small ones for the plants I have in the ground, and the rest go to the commercial greenhouse that's only 5 miles from here - much easier... :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Wow Bobby, congrats for the garden show !!! The Trachycarpus and companion plants make a very attractive view. Are these Adonidia the same ones you used to winter in the living room?

No, Gileno... the one in my living room is still in my living room -doing better than ever... Adonidias, as with most palms I've found, really hate change in light levels... I try to keep most of my stuff in the same conditions if I can... My outdoor adonidias go to a greenhouse (unshaded), so I have no burn when then come back in April.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Everything is looking great. I'm sure they love those wet, sticky, Long Island summers. Nice job on the crotons. Very vibrant colors. I thought you were moving down to Florida. What happened?

Actually, that's part of the reason why I haven't been on much.... I've been in South Florida four times in the past month 1/2 looking at places.... I'm hoping by April of next year.. I have alot of stuff to work out... I wanna bring all my plants with me down there.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

We missed you Bobby. Glad to see you're still at it.

Thanks, Dean :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Actually, that's part of the reason why I haven't been on much.... I've been in South Florida four times in the past month 1/2 looking at places.... I'm hoping by April of next year.. I have alot of stuff to work out... I wanna bring all my plants with me down there.

Cool news Bobby...is this a total relocate or a second home?

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Long time no see! Thanks for sharing some pics from your garden again, they look good!

Robbin

Southwest

You still have the magic touch, Bobby, looks great. Good luck with the Florida plans.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Bobby,

For those of us that know you, we wouldn't expect anything less. The garden still looks great, the passion still there. I hope your plans work out for Florida and say hello to the misses for me.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bobby,

For those of us that know you, we wouldn't expect anything less. The garden still looks great, the passion still there. I hope your plans work out for Florida and say hello to the misses for me.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.. and everyone else for all the nice comments... It's nice to know I'm missed...... :) Yeah, I should be firming up plans very soon - just have to make sure all the pieces are in place.. It's so much easier when you don't have "stuff" to deal with (house, cars, life, etc.....lol).. ..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby!

Good to hear from you again!

Love the New York garden. SPECTACULAR!

Hmm. If you get too tired of the high humidity in the east, there's always a hot time to be had in California . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So impressive Bobby! Good to see you posting again.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Good to see you posting again, Bobby; I thought you'd given up or something. Plants look great!

How's the ravenala?

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Bobby!

Good to hear from you again!

Love the New York garden. SPECTACULAR!

Hmm. If you get too tired of the high humidity in the east, there's always a hot time to be had in California . . . .

ahhhh... thanks Dave.... I'm actually one of those wackos who LIKES the tropical humidity and heat... I run outside when it's 92f ..... I was out in Vegas a few times and I didn't care for the dryness too much - I thought I was gonna dehydrate...lol

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Good to see you posting again, Bobby; I thought you'd given up or something. Plants look great!

How's the ravenala?

Unfortunately, the ravenala actually succumbed to some type of fungus and died... not really sure what happend to it, but one windy day last year it got blown clear across my yard and then it got some type of fungus and never recovered.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS