• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Congratulations Dick Douglas!

Alberto

This is a offspring of Dick Douglas famous Bujubaea. It is showing two spathas in ´´adolecency´´

My eriospathas ,that are fast, don´t flower until they are bigger then this palm.....She is precocious!!!

post-465-12709317107713_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Interesting that it still shows some thin tomentum on the spathes , being the second generation after the Jubaea !!!:hmm::rolleyes:

post-465-12709318212315_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

What a great photo, would do well in a kids with palms comp.

I got the Bujubea blues... B)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Not to compare with the thickness of the tomentum of a Butia eriospatha´s spathe:

post-465-12709321261621_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Congratulations Alberto. Patrick has been hybridizing the Cocoids for about 10 years, and as far as I know, yours is the first to bloom. The spathe on yours looks exactly like the mother palm. The spathes tend to be long and thin and covered with the thin tomentum. The spathes on the mother palm can sometimes be 5 feet long. When they open the spathes on the mother are bright magenta on the inside and the flowers are also magenta. Your hybrid should be easy to cross with one of your super Syagrus.

The only Patrick cocoid hybrid that I have that may bloom this year or the next is the Butia X Parajubaea. I'll bring out bells and trumpets when it does bloom.

Dick

Richard Douglas

That is a great looking palm Alberto! Hope mine turns out that nice... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 1 month later...

The spatha opened last week.

Dick,Is this collor of the flowerts the same as mom´s?

post-465-12744748249481_thumb.jpg

Close up

post-465-12744749546302_thumb.jpg

Native bees collecting nectar and pollen.

post-465-12744750319738_thumb.jpg

Oh!

Mucha buena!

Keep us apprized with pictures as the seeds develop -- maybe seedlings, too?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Beautifull palm Alberto! Like Dick said,, now you can cross it w/ some monster Syagrus!

Would be cool to add some more Jubaea in there too!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Franken Palm!

Muah ha ha ha ha . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Alberto,

The only difference that I can see is that the mother plants flowers are a deeper color of magenta. Also the mother plants spathes are bright pink or magenta on the inside for a few days after they open, and it appears yours are cream colored.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto,

The only difference that I can see is that the mother plants flowers are a deeper color of magenta. Also the mother plants spathes are bright pink or magenta on the inside for a few days after they open, and it appears yours are cream colored.

Dick

Alberto,

I forgot to mention thats an excellent photo of the inflorescence and spathe. For a first bloom it looks like a very healthy and robust inflorescence. It will be interesting to see if it sets seeds with its own pollen, or do you plan to hybridize it?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Alberto,

Dick

Alberto,

I forgot to mention thats an excellent photo of the inflorescence and spathe. For a first bloom it looks like a very healthy and robust inflorescence. It will be interesting to see if it sets seeds with its own pollen, or do you plan to hybridize it?

Dick

I was also curious if it has steryl pollen like its mother... Sometimes the first inflorescene do not produce seeds.And I didn´t collect the pollen. Maybe from the following infl.

Alberto,

The pollen on Butia X Jubaea is not really sterile as the pollen will set seeds on Butia and Syagrus. It is only self sterile. It remains to be seen if your Butia X Jubaea X (Butia) will be self sterile.

Dick

Richard Douglas