• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha's In Lal Bagh_Banglore..

Kris

Dear Friends  :)

Around last week this time i was in banglore and i had been to these gardens when i was a kid but now after having & getting some valuable training from this forum,now my visit to this garden situated in the heart of banglore city(Karnataka State) from where both my grand parents hail was like a total pilgrimage to me.i enjoyed ever plant seen there and i will do a lal Bagh exclusive in days to come but here i have delt with Few Corypha's like Tali pot palms & Lecomteei..

And i hope Corypha fans enjoy the visuals,Clayton,bo,Waykool,Jim,Chris,Dave....hope you all like it !  :)

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

And by the way,if you like to use these pictures on any site,book material..etc you have all the permission & rights to do so.kindly don't waste time in contacting me !  :D

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Lets see the trunks of this Giant Fan Palms..

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

that is my little brother seen along that lovely palm.. :laugh:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

IMG_2201.jpg

This is a corypha_Lecomteii Palm :

IMG_2202.jpg

And i have placed my palm on the leave frond of this C.Lecomteii for Size comparision..

IMG_2203.jpg

Dear Komikrit,when i was looking at this palm i was reminded of you !  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now Lets see the leaf frond arching out...! C.Lecomteii.Sp

IMG_2204.jpg

Here is a still with Kris in it... ???

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

great pix,kris.the scale is very impressive!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Looks like they can handle graffiti abuse too.

Thanks Kris.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great shots Kris,  real depth of color in those leaves and petioles and  a good impression of the might of these palms.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Beautiful!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(krisachar @ Nov. 06 2007,10:33)

And i have placed my palm on the leave frond of this C.Lecomteii for Size comparision..

IMG_2203.jpg

Dear Komikrit,when i was looking at this palm i was reminded of you !  :)

Dear Kris  :)

For the lines of the palm of the hand, I see that you will have a very long life next to your dear wife. Although previously you had another great love that you will never forget (Priyanka).  :laugh:     

In the future you will have two children, and possibly a third.    

In the health, you have propensity to the colds, and take care the stomach.

Best.Toni

Murcia (Spain) C.E.

9B zone

Dear Paul  :)

Iam glad you love it,but your bali coverage is my inspriation..

Dear Wal  :)

i must tell you that banglore is a lover's paradise since its cool & moderate through out the year.youth from my part of the town go outing with their babes to these cities and spend some time in these lovely gardens talking sweet nothings.but the men's hands never keep quite..Wal i think you understand what i say..so they take out their PEN's and scrible some things in fond memory of that day ! But the poor Corypha's stand a mute testimony to this nonsense..like our mother nature !

Dear Chris  :)

Iam glad you liked it and your stills of that double coconut was quite insperiational to me..

Dear Ray  :)

Thank you and also do request you visit our forum regularly !

Dear Toni  :)

Iam very happy to know that you too love these monstor palms and your palm prediction seems to be true since our astrologer predicted the same seeing my horoscope ! was it a joke or do you relly know palm reading ?

Dear WayKool  :)

i think you are one of our memebers who have these monstors growing in your garden,so you folks all have ahead start than i.since mine is still very small in mineral water bottles... :) And also thanks for visiting this thread.

Dear Dave  :)

Iam glad you understood that the name dave mentioned above is addressed to you..since we have many dave.but i wanted you to have a look at these lovely giants.and i know even you love palms & plants that grow oversized.. :)

And Dear Zc  :)

Hey buddy we all miss your presence here in this forum,kindly make a point to visit us at least twice a week,we all know you are busy_but i want to request you.

And whenever threads & post highlight on washy's,brehas & yuccos..i would see those post for your interactions.But..

thanks for visiting this thread.

Lots of love to you all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

Stay tuned to this thread more comming your way...iam uploading stills of it to photobucket !

your patience is much appricieated... :D

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Nov. 07 2007,09:16)

Dear Toni  :)

Iam very happy to know that you too love these monstor palms and your palm prediction seems to be true since our astrologer predicted the same seeing my horoscope ! was it a joke or do you relly know palm reading ?

Dear kris.

The Corypha is one of my favorite, but I can never take that size.  :(

When I was a child, an old witch, that was my nanny (my mother did not know), for that I should not be naughty and who was quiet and not break things, taught me how to read palms and tarot cards. Sometimes it is fun at the end of the party. Above all women, feel great interest for this thing.  :laugh:

Regards. Toni  :)

Murcia (Spain) C.E.

9B zone

(Toni @ Nov. 07 2007,02:50)

Above all women, feel great interest for this thing.  :laugh:

Regards. Toni  :)

Hey Toni that part caught my attention !!!  ???

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets move on with the tour of the Corypha's..

19273604.jpg

What i realised here is the taller they grow from the ground they begin to reduce its leaf frond size.

be9bf783.jpg

Those 2 trunks behind me is of the Corypha palms !

a79c2c03.jpg

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

774fea7b.jpg

d13c7257.jpg

Some Royals at the background of the Corypha's..I will soon post those stills in a another thread..

02f59cce.jpg

What i realised here is that even the corypha's are preety high on maintanence like the CIDP..as untrimmed palms look preety shabby & haunted !  :(

love conquers all..

43278.gif

db40c325.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

this guy is goner,it has flowered and fruited sometime back and it has conked-off ! Yeah its a painful sight. :( And ignorant visitors are of the opnion that a lightening must have struck this palm during rainy season..

IMG_2227.jpg

Now lets see some young fruits... :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Some More Fruits :

IMG_2228.jpg

here you can see some that has flowered & fruited long time back,since only the empty stalk is there clinging on to the dead palm !

IMG_2229.jpg

A better close-up !

IMG_2230.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris.  Fantastic photos.

But, Why aren't you smiling in a tropical paradise like that?

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Kris,

EXCELLENT!! Coryphas are such amazing palms, and it was great to see all these photos. I looked at the map and I see that Bangalore is inland. How do you get there and how long time does it take? Fly or drive?

And I'm also curious about one non-palm related issue. You mentioned in a different thread that having a moustache is traditional in your culture, but I noticed your brother doesn't have one! Is there any significance to this?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Scott Kucharski  :)

I am glad you loved it,since those words does give me inspriation to do things better on another ocassion...

And as for my stern face,you are right i was mad at my brother taking stills without switching on the flash.and was laughing at me when i possed with my finger at the object(Plants) for the stills.He is still very naughty & playful.And i think i must train him to be one of our type... :laugh:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Bo Goran  :)

Thanks for your comments.And you & Waykool have ahead start than i.since your Corypha's are grounded long back !i must catch up soon with you folks. :)

And Now to Banglore,it is connect directly by air route to chennai and even weekly flights are there from singapore.

But i will not recomand travel through land route,though the roads are first class.from chennai by air it only takes 22 minutes of travell.and every 2 hours there are 2 to 4 flights going to banglore from chennai.the best internal or domestic carrier are Jet,KingFisher,Paramount & Indian(Govt.Run Airline)

Now to the best months to be in banglore are july to october and janauary to march.and the temperatures here are similar to california,since many how visited this place had drawn somekind of similarity to it.but the air is preety dry & cool through out the year.its hard to beleive it is around 2700feet above the sea level.and does not look as though we are in a mountain at all.

Now to the moustache.. :laugh: My brother works for a software company which has most of its employees from N.India.and noth indians usually shave of their moush.since he is a project manager with a team comprising the north indians,that influence is seen more in his food & dressing habits.and his wife does not like him having a moush ! what more can i say ?  :laugh:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Thanks for the information and explanation! And, as you know, I'm fairly familiar with commercial aviation in India, since we talked about this in some other thread months ago. Indian commercial aviation is currently the fastest growing in the world, outpacing even the furious growth of the airlines in China. And it's expected to continue for a long time. The main problem is the lack of necessary infrastucture in India (specifically the number of runways at most major airports, which is a very limiting factor) and in order to maintain growth that's really a problem they need to address.

Anyway, back to the CORYPHAS!!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow Kris,

I will be happy when some of our Corypha get to be something even as impressive as that baby in your last post.

I never visited that garden while in Bangalore in the 70's but sure would if I returned.

Nice pics man.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Kris,

Simlpy love your country and have been fortunate to visit twice now both north and south, the people are great and the climate to match! A few years back we went to Kerala and saw some amazing palms, seeing a Corypha in bloom was breathtaking.

dscf0080eh2.jpg

This livistona was in a public park in Cochin, needless to say i smuggled some of these back home :;):

Cheers

Vic

Dear Jim  :)

iam very glad that you liked it and i know that even you are a real fan of the Corypha.Sp  :)

Dear Vic  :)

First of all a very warm & hearty welcome to our forum,and it is my first interaction with you...

And iam very happy to hear good things being said about my country and taking seeds along is perfectly legal here in india.

And the goverment also encourages us to import seeds from abroad unlike austrilia or U.S.A(California).

And the palm seen in your picture is fine and its nice to see you along with that buety !

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow Kris!  Those stills are amazing.  Thank you for posting them.  Love those giant palms!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Dear Jeff  :)

Thanks for visiting & keying in your comments..And iam very glad that iam not alone in love for these magnificiant giant fan palms..its clear those who visited and commented are all lover's & admirers of this beauty !

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kris,

I have missed this topic. Thanks for your great tour!!.

You are really big fans of Corypha. (I'm too :D ) Hopefully in ten years ago we have grow this baby to be giant one  :)

Your pictures look like C.umbraculifera to me.

1. The spread compact fresh green petiole (C.lecomtei have clearly black stripped upright petiole. strip around 2-4cm, C.utan are yellow-green+white powderd petiole)

2. Seeds are symetrical round and green or gray-green (C.utan are symetrical round and yellow, C.lecomtei are ellipse and green or gray-green)

Anyway C.umbraculifera is biggest one along genus and stunning me every time I've seen them.

post-117-1195295496_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Dear Komikrit  :)

thanks for that lovely still and you are right that most of my stills are of the talipot palms.

and i must tell you that your thread on Corypha Lecomteii was

Stunning and i really fell in love with this species... :D

And i must say that its been a while you visited our forum..its really nice to hear from you_my friend.  :)

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif