• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Loyalty to the King

Palm Hound

Loyalty to the King  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• A. cunninghamiana
    • A. alexandrae
    • A. purpurea
    • A. myolensis
    • A. tuckeri
    • A. maxima

that's weird...at your location they should do great. hmmm

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

I like A. cunninghamiana.  I has a nicer shape than the others.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

(Greenleaf @ Feb. 17 2008,21:02)

It has been debated in the US of the Illawarra version  of Archo cunninghamiana being able to handle cold weather better. It was on this board, quite some time ago though.

Check this out

Illawarra king palm

I have 5 Illawarra's in my yard and 1 I planted in a neighbors's yard ,that one planted about 12 years ago . The only difference I see is it's about half the size of a normal king and has sort of weeping leaves .No more cold hardy than the others , frost will burn them .The small size is kind of nice .

(Scott @ Feb. 17 2008,12:23)

I'm glad this came up because it give me the opportunity to ask, when buying the Archontophoenix, how can you tell the difference between the alexandrae and cunninghamiana?

Especially when much younger.

Anyone?

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

(Scott @ Feb. 17 2008,09:23)

I'm glad this came up because it give me the opportunity to ask, when buying the Archontophoenix, how can you tell the difference between the alexandrae and cunninghamiana?

Scott, to answer your question, Alexanders have silver undersides on their leaflets. That's the easiest way to tell the difference.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Saw A. myolensis and A. purpurea, up close and personal over the weekend and have changed my mind and would say the Mylolensis would be my King palm of choice...The long narrow green crown shaft looks awsome.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

(deezpalms @ Feb. 18 2008,07:29)

(Scott @ Feb. 17 2008,09:23)

Scott, to answer your question, Alexanders have silver undersides on their leaflets. That's the easiest way to tell the difference.

Thanks Dude! :D

Also Darold Petty was kind enough to PM me with this early this morning....

"How to distinquish A. cunninghamiana from A. alexandrae?".  When I was young, (a long time ago!),  these two were the only species in the genus.  All of the newer species have been split off from A. alexandrae, which  formerly had been considered a highly variable species.  The easy distinction is that A. cunninghamiana is green on the underside of the leaflet and the others have a silver-white sheen to the underside,... 'glaucous'.  This is apparent even in small one-gallon plants.

I have to admit this is something I've wondered for the longest time but figured the difference must be so slight I just wouldn't worry about it. But since my cunninghamiana burned to death a couple of years ago, I'm finally over it and I'm ready to try this one again.

After reading Greenleaf's and Madagascarbob's threads, is it safe to assume the cunninghamiana is the safest for more extreme heat and cold?

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott, in my experience without a doubt the cunninghamiana is most cold tolerant of the bunch.  I had alexanders, maximas and tuckerii's that burned badly last year right beside cunninghams that were undamaged.  A myolensis was undamaged but under canopy so I can't say for sure on that one.  I decided to take my non-cunninghams out and I replaced them with Seaside Growers 'monstera's, which are beefy cunninghams with a huge bulging crownshaft-very attractive imho.

Sorry Scott, no photos of a mature one, and mine are still small.  I was at Mark Gammell's place in Dana Point over the weekend and he has a nice fat one with about 4-5' of trunk and an overall height of maybe 15' or so.

(Peter @ Feb. 18 2008,17:33)

I replaced them with Seaside Growers 'monstera's, which are beefy cunninghams with a huge bulging crownshaft-very attractive imho.

Peter, do you know why they named it this? Is it just a large cunninghamiana that produced similar appearances in its second generation? Or was it crossed with another King?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Purps are purty, no two ways about it.

That purple color rocks, but it's best in Florida,and/or in the shade.

Purps are slow.

So, I voted for tuckeri.  They're fast, and pretty, with those perfect lime-green crownshafts and silvery under-leaves.  Great canopy at my place.

I've got about six of them, plus some Alexes . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

How'd they do last year Dave? The tuckeri's that is?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I voted for A tuckeri.  I germinated a bunch from seeds and planted about a dozen of them all over my yard in Tampa.  The ones in shade under live oaks were the fastest growers.  I germinated the seeds in Fall 2001, planted most of them in my yard in 2003, and when I sold my house in Dec 2006 they were 8-10 feet overall (roughly 3 meters).  Definitely one of my top favorite palms!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Do you want to see a crazy hybrid, how about A. cunninghamiana X philodendron? They are a hot couple that no matter how intimate they become, will be unable to bear seedlings.

post-1293-1203403952_thumb.jpg

Palms are life, the rest is details.

Len, they just made up that name.  I think the story is that they got seeds  15-20 yrs. ago from an old Mexican guy who had it growing in his yard.  And yes, they do come true from seed.  Here are a few photos of a particularly beefy cunninghamiana that I found growing in West Hollywood.  I have no idea whether it's one of Seaside Growers' monstera's, but whatever it is, it's huge.  Hard to tell from the photos, but it holds it's own next to the Royals.  You can just about make out how the trunk is about 50% larger than the 'normal' cunninghams in the photo, and it must have about a 6-8' crownshaft.

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8982.jpgIMG_8997.jpg

It was a hard choice between A. myolensis and A. purpurea  but this won out;

img_0728.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(Peter @ Feb. 19 2008,10:25)

.  Here are a few photos of a particularly beefy cunninghamiana that I found growing in West Hollywood.  I have no idea whether it's one of Seaside Growers' monstera's, but whatever it is, it's huge.  Hard to tell from the photos, but it holds it's own next to the Royals.  You can just about make out how the trunk is about 50% larger than the 'normal' cunninghams in the photo, and it must have about a 6-8' crownshaft.

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8982.jpgIMG_8997.jpg

Peter,

It's hard to tell as you said from a photo, but to me that looks a lot like a Alexandra x Cunninghamiana hybrid. Cunninghams have lilac flowers and Alex have light yellow flowers. The crownshaft is too green to be a Cunningham. When I lived in Sydney these hybrids were very robust and good looking. When I first came to Brisbane I grew one also and it was a big tree about the size of a Royal. The trunk was of couse thinner.

Great pic.. thanks Peter

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

(Peter @ Feb. 18 2008,17:33)

I decided to take my non-cunninghams out and I replaced them with Seaside Growers 'monstera's, which are beefy cunninghams with a huge bulging crownshaft-very attractive imho.

I think some of your castoffs may end up in El Sereno....

I voted myolensis by the way.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(Wal @ Feb. 17 2008,01:11)

Very tough choice, but this week I've gone for the maxima. I've seen mature specimens of each the so called kings except for myolensis, and I have one of each growing at home. I've gone for maxima for it's sheer beauty and power look and I'm referring to the one growing at Daryl's place as mine are still yet to mature.

I doubt whether too many people have seen mature specimens of each of the Archos. It's hard to go past a well grown alex for that matter, this is a tough poll.

I'm with you on this one Wal.  A. maxima!

The purpurea aren't always a stunning purple.  They're slower and burn in the sun too.  A. maxima handles wind, sun and are fattys! :P

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(freakypalmguy @ Feb. 18 2008,22:00)

Matt

Took a hit.

The smaller ones died.  About three feet tall or less.

The bigger ones showed damage, rocketed to the moon, more or less

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Peter @ Feb. 19 2008,07:25)

Len, they just made up that name.  I think the story is that they got seeds  15-20 yrs. ago from an old Mexican guy who had it growing in his yard.  And yes, they do come true from seed.  Here are a few photos of a particularly beefy cunninghamiana that I found growing in West Hollywood.  I have no idea whether it's one of Seaside Growers' monstera's, but whatever it is, it's huge.  Hard to tell from the photos, but it holds it's own next to the Royals.  You can just about make out how the trunk is about 50% larger than the 'normal' cunninghams in the photo, and it must have about a 6-8' crownshaft.

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8982.jpgIMG_8997.jpg

The real story about the "monsteras" is that the owners of Seaside Growers was over in Jamaica I believe, on vacation when they spotted a local man selling "Monster" King palms on the side of the road. They got some seeds from him and that's what started their collection. Now the few original plants are gigantic and have been seeding for many years. Most of the seeds tend to pop and grow into multi trunked trees and they have many more multi's than singles. I have 2 triples and one double all of which were in 1 gallon pots and 4-5' tall. They are all in 15's now and  have stout trunks with fat bulging crownshafts.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Dave are you saying that this Archontophoenix is exibiting a clumping habit?  Or that the seeds are sprouting out of multiple embryos? I'm confused (as usual).

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(deezpalms @ Feb. 25 2008,14:05)

The real story about the "monsteras" is that the owners of Seaside Growers was over in Jamaica I believe, on vacation when they spotted a local man selling "Monster" King palms on the side of the road. They got some seeds from him and that's what started their collection.

Jamaica?  The story Jim Cassady (co-owner) told me was the same one that Peter related, that "they got seeds  15-20 yrs. ago from an old Mexican guy."  

Maybe the old Mexican guy was in Jamaica. What I believe Dave is saying is they are sold in multiples.  I bought a one gallon Monstera one year ago, put it in the ground last spring and it is a fatty. It would fit in a seven gallon pot now.

post-1293-1204005827_thumb.jpg

Palms are life, the rest is details.

Sheesh, David...

Now you have gone and done it...I have got to add A. myolensis, A. purpurea, and A. tuckeri

to the yard...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I voted for A. myolensis. It's the only variety of King palm that I have.

The two A. myolensis I have are from Phil. Both were small 5 gallon little numbers and are about a year and a half in the ground. One will be 6 feet in few months-yup they are growing that fast.

I am going to use A. myolensis as my canopy scape, along with Kentias, on my hillside.

Now: where do I get bulk A. myolensis? <sigh>

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

(freakypalmguy @ Feb. 18 2008,22:00)

Matt

THey are a bit on the tender side, that's for sure.

THe big ones, no problem.

I lost two small ones outright, and others suffered serious damage.

We had about 27 F for four days, all night long.

Alexes did a little better.

Kings and purps, not a scratch.

And, the Maxies got whacked . . .

I voted maxima, but they are all lovely palms...

Here are some photos from Brisbane...Can you pick which species they are?

98c5be1e.jpg

e56b577e.jpg

77e0c3f1.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Question for you King Palm fans.

How long would I get away with a King Palm in ground in my area, planted against the SE wall.  

See my sig for low temps.  Avg about 25F over the past 6 winters, ranging from 22 or 23 to 27F for the min winter low.  The queens around here burn some in the colder winters (and will probably be killed in a big time freeze).

Jim - There was some moderate damage to my A. cunninghamianas at my old place in the freeze last year, but they still looked ok and were in no danger of dying. I had two nights below freezing, one at -2.5C (27F) and one at -1C (30F), and the palms were in exposed locations. But, they were also fairly large plants, at least 3m (10ft) tall...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Mar. 02 2008,08:44)

Jim - There was some moderate damage to my A. cunninghamianas at my old place in the freeze last year, but they still looked ok and were in no danger of dying. I had two nights below freezing, one at -2.5C (27F) and one at -1C (30F), and the palms were in exposed locations. But, they were also fairly large plants, at least 3m (10ft) tall...

Thanks Jack.

I get at least one temp at 27F or below every year, bottoming out at around 25 or so.  Most freezes however, are in the 28F-32F range.

(Pivi @ Feb. 17 2008,07:04)

Auch, this is a tough vote...

I like them all. It's really hard to choose one.

Tuckeri for it's speed, cunnighamiana for it's hardiness, purpurea for it's look...

But in the end they all have a great look.

This time i choose purpurea

Pivi--

Nice A. purpurea. Did you shoot these? Looks just like a planting in Laguna Hills, CA (Orange Co) at a medical building that I saw a couple ogf years back.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

• 2 months later...
I didn't vote because it's too hard.

This past Fall I potted 3 different archos ina 10-gallon pot. Left to right: alexandra, purpurea, and myolensis.

Terry, I think that this will look sweet when they all get to a nice n' beefy size!

I voted for purpurea also because of the colorful crownshaft. I have all of the species listed here and purpurea wins hands down. Second would be myolensis. This is another colorful one just not as pronounced however you can definitely see a hint of turquoise in the crownshft.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

• 2 years later...

My alexes have grown very quickly from 1 gallon size in just 6 months, so I like them best now. Perhaps the 3-5 gallon size myolensis I have in containers will win me over in the future, or maybe if the alabang(alex/bangalow) hybrid seedling triple I received from Mike Evans turns out to be a cold tolerant show stopper, they could win me over. But for now the alexandre (triple) is my favorite king.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I like the purpurea, but I have to give the edge to the myola... just for it's rarity, it's turqoise glossy hue, a it's growth speed.

post-1966-026537900 1288156619_thumb.jpg

post-1966-011036100 1288156677_thumb.jpg

Edited by SoTropiCal Ben