• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A giant self destructing palm has just flowered in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

nawed

Dear palm experts,

I am just a nature lover from Dhaka Bangladesh, don't know much about trees .

A giant self destructing palm has just flowered in one of the garden here.

The palm tree is about 60 feet height and 70 years old.

Please let me know the details of this tree with its scientific name.

I am attaching two photos for your reference.

post-1690-1209628198_thumb.jpg

post-1690-1209628238_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi nawed,

Welcome to our big palm loving neighbourhood. :)

Your palm is a Corypha. Which one I'm not sure but someone else will definitely know.

Isn't it a beautie. Are you going to collect the seed and grow a few up to make a Corypha family?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Welcome to Palmtalk Nawed! Hope to see more of you. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

Hi Nawed, thanks for the post.

Are there any young ones around that you can get a picture of? Is that tree growing in a garden or in the wild? Look up the word MONOCARPIC in a palm book if you want to learn more about the biology of this palm.

It is either a Corypha umbraculifera, utan, or one of the others (Names anybody?)

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

You may be looking at pictures of the trunk covered with leaf boots. In these photos, you can see trunks that look more similar to your photos:

http://www.plantapalm.com/Vpe/photos/Speci...braculifera.htm

http://www.arbolesornamentales.com/Coryphaumbraculifera.htm

Thanks guys... although i am no expert but i don't think it's Corypha umbraculifera.... trunk pattern is different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talipot_palm

It was from a garden and did not find any young ones around. I'll try to find some seed tomorrow...

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Dear Nawed Iqbal :)

9205acc1.gifto palmtalk.

And as you have pointed out that is not a talipot palm,it should be a Buri Palm(Corypha utan).

here is a link to know more about that buety_ C.Utan

And in a couple of months the seeds will ripe in to blackish colour and start falling in thousands.Kindly do that dying palm a favour,if you have accesses to that palm...then collect the seeds as much as possible and travell in a vehicle to the wild country side,where human disturbance is bare minium.scatter those seeds here and there..may be the lucky once will germinate..for the future generations to admire ? And iam not joking.since even iam a die hard fan of these Corypha's.

Here are few links on my work on talipot palms..

Talipot palms seeds collection_

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11381

Talipot palms as seen in lal bagh gardens_

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ic=8418&hl=

And can you post progressive stills of your C.Utan palm,as the seeds ripe & fall ? though its a painful site to document.but that's reality !

thanks & love,

Kris :)

And by the way i love your avatar & the personal profile image... :greenthumb:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Saw a Gebang Gebang at Fairchild some years back!

What you look for is what is looking

Hey Nawed......welcome to Palmtalk.....hope you will continue to post here........Kris from India needs some company from that side of the world :lol:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hey Nawed......welcome to Palmtalk.....hope you will continue to post here........Kris from India needs some company from that side of the world :lol:

Well said Dear David..... :rolleyes:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kris and all,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and informative replies with some advice... the tree is the only one in our Botanical garden in Dhaka.

Kris, I will try to collect seeds and do what you said if the time permits. Just tell me what is the rate of survival of these seeds after planting... and how do i know when they are in the right time for planting. Also how to preserve them after collection and before planting.

I'll try to login to IPS off and on... do drop me a line if any of you want to contact me...

nawediqbal@gmail.com

Dear Nawed Iqbal :)

9205acc1.gifto palmtalk.

And as you have pointed out that is not a talipot palm,it should be a Buri Palm(Corypha utan).

here is a link to know more about that buety_ C.Utan

And in a couple of months the seeds will ripe in to blackish colour and start falling in thousands.Kindly do that dying palm a favour,if you have accesses to that palm...then collect the seeds as much as possible and travell in a vehicle to the wild country side,where human disturbance is bare minium.scatter those seeds here and there..may be the lucky once will germinate..for the future generations to admire ? And iam not joking.since even iam a die hard fan of these Corypha's.

Here are few links on my work on talipot palms..

Talipot palms seeds collection_

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=11381

Talipot palms as seen in lal bagh gardens_

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ic=8418&hl=

And can you post progressive stills of your C.Utan palm,as the seeds ripe & fall ? though its a painful site to document.but that's reality !

thanks & love,

And by the way i love your avatar & the personal profile image... :greenthumb:

Dear Nawed :)

kindly visit this thread and their you will find illustrations on how to germinate the seeds.

here is that _ Link !

Once you collect viable seeds,kindly post those stills...i think it will take around 2 months from now !

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the post, but the description is a bit over the top (if somebody is standing nearby, can they receive a blast injury?).

Terminal fruiting is the widely accepted description for this.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

• 1 year later...

Hello, Nawed!

Nice to meet you!

All pictures you want to post will be welcome!

We appreciate all the company we can get, from anywhere in the world!

Hmm.

Maybe send some seeds when they come?

We're game to grow them here in the U.S.

Meantime, how about some more picutres of your homeland?

I'll bet no one on the Board has been there! (Except you . . . .)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.