• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growth Rate Observation

Dypsisdean

I'm a big proponent of getting large aggressive growing palms in the ground as early as possible. This one pic helps to illustrate this point. If you look closely, you will see 3 Clinostigma samoense. They were all purchased at the same time and the same size as 2 gals. The one on the right was planted 2 years ago. The one on the left, 1 1/2 years ago. And the one in the middle 1 year ago. It is easy to see how much growth I gained by getting the one on the right in the ground a year before the one in the middle.

post-11-1158614201_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Is that your cock laying in the street?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt, You're supposed to be noticing the girth of the palms. And no, that's a pheasant.

Kona, on The Big Island

This is very true.  I bought 2 royals for 60$ each 2 years ago and didn't plant it until a year ago.  At the same time, my dad bought 3 little royals that were about 6 times smaller than mine and planted them right away.  Now, all 3 of his royals are bigger than mine.

Nice shape to that first Clino.

I'm not the pheasant plucker

I'm the pheasant plucker's son

I'll only pluck pheasants

Till the pheasant plucker comes.

Repeat at speed

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You're torturing me Dean...so many plants still in containers that didn't make it 'home'  AGAIN this season.

I keep having to remind myself of the ones that did get planted, and pat myself on the back for that...just planted a 15 gal Enc Longifolius today, and a Sabal Mauritioformis last week.

And Matt...hens lay, not cocks

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Dean, sometimes does your cock pee on your palms?  Does this add growth? LOL

By the way that's the first time I've ever typed LOL.  I'll try not to make a habit of it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Sep. 18 2006,18:38)

Dean, sometimes does your cock pee on your palms?  Does this add growth? LOL

By the way that's the first time I've ever typed LOL.  I'll try not to make a habit of it.

Matty, Are you requesting some more pics. LOL

Kona, on The Big Island

Gross!  Have we gone far enough?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I did notice that your cock has a red head though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Don't let that cock near your T. wagnerianus, it'll tear a hole right through it!   lolololololololol

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I have a strong hunch we're having way more fun than we're supposed to...so, time to get back to the actual topic (I know, it's a novel concept! :P ).

My experience has been that strong growers (and Roystoneas and Clinostigmas certainly fall into that category) will really benefit from going in the ground early. The best time is JUST before they begin to form a trunk. The slower the palm, the less important it becomes to plant early. For palms that are real slow growers, I don't believe there's much - if any - difference in growth rate between an individual in a pot and one that's in the ground.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

A little "fine leaf" Dypsis I picked up last winter (grower overstock) prospered in its pot this summer, so I set it out this evening.  Top of the pot was free of roots, but the bottom was a real jam-up.  Took more effort to spread the roots than to dig the hole.  Barring a freeze this winter, I suspect it'll take off.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I agree w/ Bo in that the faster growers will show the differnece the most being in the ground. Slower ones are hard to notice growth changes anyway you look at them.

I could kick myself (several times) for not planting two R. regias that were in 5 gallon containers 4 years or so ago. They are now in 25 gallon containers and are huge! Can't imagine what size they would be if I had just put them in the ground! I couldn't figure out where I wanted them. I have now, had to cut a tree back. Could go in this weekend!

Lesson learned

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Hmm.

Now, now, boys, have we gotten rowdy enough, and disrupted the class enough?  

AHEM!

I've found, in general, that in the ground is better, assuming the palm's adapted to that area.  All of the "rooty" types definitely do better.

On the ohter hand, I've found that Ravenea glauca, for one, will grow faster in the pots than in the ground.

Hmm.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dear Dypsis Dean  :)

that is a lovely still and the palms in that

picture is quite pretty too.

dean was the picture shot in the evening or is

you climate itself is so mild and beautiful.

like to see ,more of your garden pictures.

And i thank BGL for intervening at the right

moment of this forum.as it was taking quite a

turn.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's a question I have about planting in ground; Is there any time that's too soon in a plants life to put it in the ground? (Aside from the obvious, like a single snail being able to consume it in a single sitting..) My rule of thumb has been to wait until they're healthy, one gal. size. Is that perhaps too soon?

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I don't have pictures on hand to prove it but the Royals I put in the ground three years ago verses the ones I have kept in containers, there is absolutely no comparison. Royals just want to produce a massive quantity of roots before they will start to head for the sky, something they just can't do in a pot.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I am so sorry for this but;

Hold your cock and pullet away from the driveway.

Nice palms, they do grow faster in the ground don't they.  

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

are you suggesting getting a palm in the ground before

it is fully acclimatized?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Bret,

I don't believe you can plant "too soon". I have planted numerous palms from 4 inch pots. In other words, these were palms that were 2-3 inches tall at the time. I don't do that anymore, but not because I think it's bad for the palm, but from a practical point of view. We have a guy who's here a couple of days a week, helping me pull & poison weeds, mow grass, etc etc. The more small palms I have in the ground, the more I have to remember to warn him of when he's working in a particular area, and I'm bound to forget something.... So, now I wait until I have a good size 1G or small 5G palm before planting.

Bo-Göran

And one more thing: when you plant something real tiny, the roots are going to dry out pretty fast in dry weather, and since I rely exclusively on rain to water my palms I've found it's better to wait a little while.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm