• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can any insecticide be dangerous for a palm tree?

Lea

Hello!

I have a big old (over 30 yr) palm (I don't know which species exactly) and now it has got spider mites. I have searched for info about how to get rid of spider mites, but my main worry is about what products/methods might be dangerous to the palm.

Should I avoid anything when trying to kill the spider mites because of it could harm the palm?

Best wishes,

Lea.

Hello Lea, and welcome to Palmtalk!

I remember a discussion about various insecticides and treatments for mites, scale and mealybug. This link will interest you:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12882

Whatever you choose to do, I'd act quickly. In my experience spider mites can knock down a palm very fast. In the future, if possible, take the palm outdoors and wash it down with water maybe once a month. Spider mites will not like the regular shower. This may be difficult to do with a 30-year old palm! How tall is it?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Get a product by Bayer in a blue plastic container...at WalMart..called 3 in 1 systemic.

It is a fungicide, pesticide, and herbicide. It is expensive (about $17.00), but WORKS. It kills and repels all from absorption by the roots for one year. I would take the palm outdoors, spray all of the undersides of the fronds until you no longer see any white, then do a complete soil drench with Bayers. It does work and you should no longer have a problem. It may be best to repot the palm in newer soil....is the soil old? Tell me it is not 30 years old!?

Best of luck!

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I just got done killing off spidermites 6 weeks ago on my indoor palms using insecticidal soap. Its good stuff, non toxic, can be used on vegetables the day before they are picked. I got it at home depot and dilute it and use a hand sprayer. It killed them pretty quickly without exposing myself or my family to a toxic insecticide.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thank you!

Now I have a spray that contains 'pyrethrin and permethrin'. But as it is meant for killing so many different insects, there are no specific instructions about how to use it in the case of spider mites. How often would you suggest to use it? (Once per week, or once per month, or... ?) And should I spray it to the leaves or just into air? The instruction on the bottle tells that it may be sprayed to room air or to the surface (for example floor).

Best wishes,

Lea.

I don't think that imidacloprid (active ingredient in Bayers) works on spider mites. I have never known anyone to use it for that, and it is not on the label. I wish it did!

Insecticidal soap, horticultural oil and Neem all work well on mites, as do miticides that are systemic. These are best sprayed on the plant in the early am or pm, not during the heat of the day with the sun on it.

The insecticides that contain the pyrethrins etc are generally used for other insects such as whiteflies. If the insect is not listed on the label, then it usually will not work on it. Whatever you use, make sure that it is listed for spider mites.

I would definitely consider using a miticide. Mites are really hard to control and breed quickly. I think they have 4 life cycles, which makes it tough to control them. Probably 2-3 sprayings about 2 weeks apart should get rid of them. The most important thing to remember is, make sure you spray very good on the undersides of the leaf. This is where most of the mites live.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bug killers and fungicides can harm a plant if used carelessly.

In the past the biggest problems I've had have been where a plant was sprayed and then got a lot of sunlight, or was dessicated by high winds. I once killed a queen palm with systemic bug killer (acephate), which startled me . . .. .

Give the plant to be treated a nice big drink of water, treat it, then keep it out of the sun and the wind for a day or so.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What Jeff said about good coverage beneath the leaves (where the mites are) reminded me of a surfactant that I use called Capsul. It is expensive for a surfactant (about $ 80 /gallon) but the great thing about it is that it penetrates the leaf with the insecticide so you don't have to worry about getting under the leaves. You can just spray the top part of the leaf. Some plants are nearly impossible to spray underneath and this works great. Lasts a long time too.

Another reason why systemics work well also. No need to spray the undersides.

I love that Bayer Tree & Shrub Systemic...for Japanese Beetles. However, in my experience with bananas, it didn't keep the spider mites away, although it did keep the Japanese Beetles away (and they love the bananas more than anything in my garden). What worked for the bananas was simply spraying the underside of the leaves with water every day. Not misting, using as hard of a spray as the leaves would take. Don't know if that's feasible if you have to keep the plant indoors, though. I had a hard time getting coverage on the underside of leaves with the insecticidal soap I had (lousy spray bottle), so just used the water treatment, and it worked!

Get a product by Bayer in a blue plastic container...at WalMart..called 3 in 1 systemic.

It is a fungicide, pesticide, and herbicide. It is expensive (about $17.00), but WORKS. It kills and repels all from absorption by the roots for one year. I would take the palm outdoors, spray all of the undersides of the fronds until you no longer see any white, then do a complete soil drench with Bayers. It does work and you should no longer have a problem. It may be best to repot the palm in newer soil....is the soil old? Tell me it is not 30 years old!?

Best of luck!

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2