• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmseed ID please

simona

ass0oh39d6rrrgha3.jpg

I've got this palmseed in Oktober last year from a friend who had a Peru - Amazon trip. I was told that, the seed is edible and tastes like coconut.

It measures 3.5 inches (9 cm).

As it is germinating now, i would be happy if anyone knows what palm it might become.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Hi Simona,

I would say that it looks like an Attalea of some sort.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thank you, Don for the fast reply.

I remember searching on google for three days when I got the seed and could only come up with Maximiliana maripa (Attalea maripa) as nearest to th description. The only thing that puzzled me was the dimension of the seed.

I'm intrested bcause I would hate loosing the seedling over the winter....so, could you please advise a min. temperature?

40270.gif

Simona

Simona,

It is too large for an Attalea maripa, but it may be Attalea phalerata depending on what part of Peru it came from. I would say that the tree probably would not handle anything under 0 C too well as it does come from a tropical climate. I have a couple of the A. phalerata that germinated from seeds I brought from Bolivia last year. They do not grow around here. The Attalea maripa and speciosa are very common here though.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I've asked about the location and it seems the fruit was collected after sailing for about two hours downstream from Iquitos to a "no name" village, somewhere in the rainforest.

I am going to keep the seedling indoor through the winter, where temps are around 18 Celsius. Hope it's ok.

Thank you very much for your help, Don!

40270.gif

Simona

Simona,

They get to be real big trees. When I went by that area on my recent trip I saw some attaleas off in the distance. But, I was not able to make out which.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Well, till it hopefully grows to be big enough, I might donate the palm to the future Botanical Garden in Aqaba at the Red Sea (Zone 10).

If you'll ever go by there again and have some time, it would be nice if you could take a closer look. Anyhow, you've helped a lot already. Thank you!

40270.gif

Simona

I've asked about the location and it seems the fruit was collected after sailing for about two hours downstream from Iquitos to a "no name" village, somewhere in the rainforest.

I am going to keep the seedling indoor through the winter, where temps are around 18 Celsius. Hope it's ok.

Thank you very much for your help, Don!

Hi Simona,

If your Lowest temp is 18 Celsius in the winter I'd plant it in a larger

pot, (once you get a few more leaves on it that is) then put it outside

in a protected area it will be a good grower for you.

Regards Mikey.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Thanks Mikey,

I meant that my lowest indoor temps are around 18 Celsius, it gets down to - 3 Celsius nighttemperature outdoor sometimes in winter.

Do you think it can survive that kind of cold in humid conditions if protected?

40270.gif

Simona

Hi Simona,

Sorry about the delay in reply,at say 5 degree's would be the lowest I'd put this 'sp' outside

any lower would be suicide for sure and yes for a start a protected area would be best.

Regards Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif