• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Seed Collection and Protection

freakypalmguy

For the few interested (sorry to bore the rest of you), this is what I am trying as a protector and collector for my palm seeds. It is a mesh laundry bag from Wal Mart. They had two types. One like the one in my picture with the solid bottom and others that were all mesh. I thought this one might last a bit longer. They stretch nicely over and have a draw string at the top to secure it in place.

I don't have tree squirrels at my place so It will not stand the true test. I'm wondering if tree squirrels might chew threw the mesh fabric to get to the seed?

Matt

post-1261-1220546924_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

This really is great information to share with the group. But, why are you protecting all those Queen Palm seeds? :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Matt,

This really is great information to share with the group. But, why are you protecting all those Queen Palm seeds? :lol:

Jeff

:lol: too funny. I am saving all my queen seeds so I can sneek into your house and spread them everywhere :mrlooney: I guess I should have said they are Butiagrus seeds

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Here at my home, we have squirrels, raccoons, deer, and wild hogs that ravage my XButiagrus seeds. I have to encase them in a chicken-wire mesh cover. If you don't have any of the above, then you're set!!

BTW, good job w/ producing the Xbutiagrus!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Here at my home, we have squirrels, raccoons, deer, and wild hogs that ravage my XButiagrus seeds. I have to encase them in a chicken-wire mesh cover. If you don't have any of the above, then you're set!!

BTW, good job w/ producing the Xbutiagrus!!!

Thanks Mark. I figured it might not work out with critters like that. All I have are ground squirrels (I have yet to find out if they will climb to get to my seeds), coyotes, scorpions, snakes, gophers, and hawks. None seem to want anything to do with them.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

I saw a news report on someone who was arrested for leaving their dog to starve in their backyard. The dog survived by eating queen palm seeds that had fallen on the ground.

Sorry Matt. Has nothing to do with your topic. The bag looks rather stylish though.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Matt, I have seen this done with pantyhose before too. To save money, maybe you can reuse your old pantyhose you wear to work?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Paul, you should do that. He keeps loosing his Butia seeds to rats right before they ripen. We wanna eat 'em. Are you listening pohonkelapa!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I saw a news report on someone who was arrested for leaving their dog to starve in their backyard. The dog survived by eating queen palm seeds that had fallen on the ground.

Sorry Matt. Has nothing to do with your topic. The bag looks rather stylish though.

That's a cool story Terry. I've got four dogs and they eat the seed off the ground. This is one of the reasons I wanted to catch them before they hit the ground.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt, I have seen this done with pantyhose before too. To save money, maybe you can reuse your old pantyhose you wear to work?

Hey my fishnets would work too. Hot tip Len :blink:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Paul, you should do that. He keeps loosing his Butia seeds to rats right before they ripen. We wanna eat 'em. Are you listening pohonkelapa!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

wha?sorry,i was thinking about "the other matt" in fishnets.he has better legs than you...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Huh? Go away son. Grown men are talkin' here.

wha?sorry,i was thinking about "the other matt" in fishnets.he has better legs than you...

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Grown men? Please identify yourselves.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

(chiiirrrp, chirrrrp)<--that's the sound of crickets

Matt in Temecula, CA