• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Day Lillies

Walter John

Here's my first day lilly for the spring season, thought I'd share with you.

DLfirstseason2.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Isn't spring a great time of year! Nice daylilly Wal. Spring in my garden is always trumpeted by the arrival of Hippeastrum flowers. Here are a few that are flowering this morning...I reckon they complement any tropical style garden.

Daryl

orangeandwhite.jpg

pinkandwhite.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

A couple more...

redwithwhitecentre.jpg

white.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Now Daryl, what's the chances of a bulb or two of those babies ? After all I did use your palm on the cover of the newsletter  :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's the variations of my Hippeastrums. Not as grand as yours Daryl, buddy old mate  :;):

Hippeastrum3.jpg

Hippeastrum2.jpg

Here's our full red, photo taken about 10 days ago.

Hippeastrum1.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

No worries Wal, come and pick up a few bulbs...

Daryl

I love Hemerocallis flowers, they look so exotic.  I just wish Cannas had the same variety of flowers, then you'd have the great flower and great foliage.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Fall is here, fall is here!

Life is skittles

And life is beer

Wish fall came every time of the year

Ahem!

Well, maybe not.  We do have the brush fires, but my birthday's coming up, and well, I just go more hawg-wild than usual.  

Oh! I can smell the sandal-wood fires on the hills, (which don't have eyes).

Fall in So-Cal.

Hmm.  B-Day in Oz, when Summer's nigh, the Hippeastrum are bloomin' and chunder's everywhere . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ignoring dave for a moment, here is another photo of one of my hippies, "chunder everywhere ?", I hope you don't expect kangaroos to be running up my street Dave when you come to visit for that BBQ. Don't forget to bring a six pack, James Boags premium would be nice, how do you like your steak ?

Here's the best hippesatrum photo I could manage on the Yashica 4 megapixel.

HippeastrumThursday5Oct2006800.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, you have some good looking Hippies there..reckon we should swap a few...

Dave, no chunder around here, not even on my b'day, but we do have kangaroos and wallabies running down the street...

Daryl

whiteandpinkstripe.jpg

pinkwithspots.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos and beautiful flowers! And those day lilies taste real good as well! Makes a colorful and tasty addition to a salad.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Some more from this morning.

daylillieback17oct.jpg

daylilliesfront17oct.jpg

daylilliefront17oct.jpg

Hippe17Oct.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(bgl @ Oct. 15 2006,03:14)

Great photos and beautiful flowers! And those day lilies taste real good as well! Makes a colorful and tasty addition to a salad.

Funnily enough, I saw a programme that interviewed the holder of the UK national collection of day lillies and he was eating the petals.  The programme that conducted the interview made a joke about it and him, but obviously he is not alone, so it surprises me that they were so dismissive of the idea.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey,

Yes, they are quite tasty! Try one!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wal, do you know the name of the orange spider daylily in message 16?  I love orange flowers!

I've eaten daylily petals in salads.  Some taste better than others; my biggest is juicy with a little garlic flavor.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Hey Wal. In that last pic in the background, looks like you are growing Malva neglecta. I know this one as my grandparents grow it. I think the common name is Cheeses, because the seed clusted look like wheels of Cheese.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Dianne

Hi there, How does that RLR pocket guide go ?. Sorry, I never bothered with Day Lilly names as most of mine I purchased from various weekend markets where they had no names. I bought about 15 or so all up and propagate them every 2 or 3 years. One day I'll have thousands :D

Zac

That last pic of the Hippeastrum ? Looking at the photo to the right is lower leaves of our mulberry tree and to the left is Geranium. It does have similar leaves to the Malva weed.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal -- I only have 2 daylilies right now but am searching for an orange spider that's late blooming.  Tasting good would be a plus.   :)

Larry Noblick of Montgomery Botanic Center (next to Fairchild) did a thorough review of The Pocket Guide for me/for RLR.  Scott Zona and Paul Craft also reviewed it.  I got the suggestions consolidated and to Timber Press on time.  I'm not sure yet when it will be published but will let you know.  2007 for sure I would think.  The editor had wanted RLR to make more changes but she left that alone.  It will just make the guide more Rifflish.  That's more appealing to me anyway.

We haven't had a freeze yet in the Seattle area and my little garden is looking very lush and tropical.  I noticed a few mini-daylilies still blooming.  I must have 100 blossoms on one of my brugmansias (a big deal for me!), and the Musa basjoos are HUGE.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

A couple more pics taken this afternoon.

DL21oct.jpg

DL221oct.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.