• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CoCo de Mer

waykoolplantz

CoCodemer002-2.jpg

:drool:

the spear was coming up under the seed...a little juducious digging permitted the seed to rock to one side....without disturbing the tap root

• Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

wow

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

CoCodemer002-2.jpg

the spear was coming up under the seed...a little juducious digging permitted the seed to rock to one side....without disturbing the tap root

Sensational photograph, can we have a photo of the year/month contest please Dean ?, this will be hard to top. :drool:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Mike,

Congrats on the germination. I know how much you were looking forward to this day. No more tricks with the stick.Lol!

You certainly deserve this and will make a nice addition to your collection.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

VERY COOL!! :greenthumb:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Awesome Mike!!!!!!! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Mike,

Congratulations! That's really incredibly exciting and I know how you must feel. I've been there! :)

A bit of my own experience. We have three Lodoiceas and they all germinated in early 2001. I was so fascinated with the initial growth that I kept pretty good records. I'll just mention some of the growth data for the very first one to germinate (which took about 13 months to do so). First of all, what you see there in the photo is NOT the first spike pushing up. It's a protective sheath, and the new spike is "hiding" underneath it. Here's a bit of info on the growth on the sheath, AND the first frond on the first one that germinated here - this is all in 2001:

Protective sheath, height:

05 Jan 80 mm tall (sorry guys, I keep track of things the only sensible way - METRIC. That's just over 3 inches. All other measurements below in mm (millimetres) only)

02 Feb 220 mm

02 Mar 289 mm

30 Mar 352 mm

27 Apr 400 mm

At this point the protective sheath had served its purpose, and it stopped pushing up. Unfortunately I don't have a date for when the actual spike separated itself from the protective sheath, because frankly, I didn't know what was going on! So, after a while, with BOTH the sheath AND the spike pushing up, side by side, I finally realized what was going on, and then I began to measure the height of the spike itself. The 30 Mar reading is my first record of the height of the first spike:

30 Mar 278 mm (see above - in other words, at this point it was 74 mm shorter than the sheath, just a bit less than 3 inches)

27 Apr 505 mm

25 May 730 mm

29 Jun 1050 mm

27 Jul 1270 mm

31 Aug 1520 mm

That's my last reading. 1520 mm is just a bit over 5 ft. The first frond opened up within a couple of weeks of that and was close to six feet tall. VERY impressive. No other palm like this, that's for sure! Also, between 30 Mar and 31 Aug = about 150 days and a growth of 1244 mm. Average just under 8 mm every 24 hours. Or roughly an inch in three days.

Mike, good luck and keep us updated here. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Mike,

Thanks for your PM. I have looked for earlier photos of our Lodoiceas, and unfortunately I have nothing prior to 2004. That's when I started shooting digital. Anyway, here are some of the photos I found. Just for reference, we have three Lodoiceas. I'll refer to them as #1 (that's the one that germinated first), #2 and #3. And to keep things simple, there are no photos here of #3, only of #1 and #2.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the photos came out in the opposite orde, so the oldest one is at the extreme right. So, in other words, photo 1 all the way to the right, and #4 all the way to the left:

Photo 1: this is Lodoicea #2 on 14 Feb 2004, not quite three years after germination. One problem, which can be seen here, is that they don't take too well to wind when they are smaller. The large fronds unfortunately break easily.

Photo 2: Lodoicea #1 on 13 June 2004. A little more than three years after germination.

Photo 3: #1 to the right in the distance and #2 to the left, closer to the camera. This was on 21 March 2006.

Photo 4: #1 on 31 July 2006.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1276408860652_thumb.jpg

post-22-12764088664822_thumb.jpg

post-22-12764088724441_thumb.jpg

post-22-12764088775786_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a few more, again right to left (I know its backwards, but that's how they came out!):

Photo 5: this is #1 on 19 Aug 2007

Photo 6: #1 in the distance on the right and #2 to the left and closer to the camera and with Louise from Sweden for scale! :)

Photo 7: #1 on 11 June 2010 (yesterday).

post-22-12764092520953_thumb.jpg

post-22-12764092585487_thumb.jpg

post-22-12764092643664_thumb.jpg

Great pics....nice to know what to look forward to

Thanks Bo

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

What an incredible plant, makes you wonder why there are palm non-believers.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

drool.gif

CoCodemer002-2.jpg

drool.gif

drool.gif

Mike ...

Finally! Your Brother-In-Law's sprouted awhile back. You must have been a bit concerned that yours may not have been viable. Look forward to seeing this palm on my next visit.

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Very nice and very happy to see more of these palms grow in our members gardens..:greenthumb:

All the best,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

Great to see the progress. And that's the new spike in the process of separating from the protective sheath. The spike will continue to grow at a rapid rate and the protective sheath of course has done its job and won't grow anymore.

Bo-Göran

Mike,

My congrats to you. Members of the palm world that have not experienced this brilliant event are living vicariously through you.

Manny

• Upvote 1

I am wandering how many Lodoiceas are planted in gardens by know! It seems to be THE palm to grow if you live in a tropical climate.

Alexander

Keep the pics coming Mike :) we love em

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

• 3 weeks later...

My brother in law's is moving quite a bit faster than mine

cocodemer3.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Mike - With his location adjacent to the coast, he is probably a half a zone more tropical than you Mike. That is what I can figure. You definitely have better soil!

Ron. smilie.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Mike - With his location adjacent to the coast, he is probably a half a zone more tropical than you Mike. That is what I can figure. You definitely have better soil!

Ron. smilie.gif

His was started in a grow bag...which tricked it into coming up sooner. His first leaf seems to be touching the protective screening

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

:mrlooney: :mrlooney: :mrlooney: Mike, I gotta make time to come & see this!

Randy :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

So many nuts in Peradeniya !!! I really get nuts !

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Hey Philippe, how about I trade you a free trip to Hawaii if you bring along 3 or 4 mature nuts? :yay::bemused::innocent:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm surprised that these haven't become more available after all the pictures you've posted. They seem very present in some places. You're lucky to be able to see them in person so often!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)