• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Voanioala  gerardii

Jeff Searle

A large speciman taken in Madagascar. Recently, some seed have become available and I was curious if others have one of these in their collections and what's their take on this palm. Any thoughts on growing tips for California, Hawaii, Australia, and Florida? From what I have experienced so far, is that they are fairly slow growing. This is an endangered species in Madag. therefore, I would hope to see some of these do well in cultivation around the world.

post-23-1160707317_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Yes, this has not been an easy one. Over the past 10 years (up until last year) I was only able to get hold of ONE of these, a 1 gallon size plant. I planted it, but unfortunately some fungus killed it off, so as of now I don't have a single one in our garden. BUT, thanks to Joseph (Ortanique) I now have a number of very healthy looking 1 G plants that are on their second leaf. I intend to grow them up to a 5G size before planting any of them, and hopefully that'll be the key to success. It'd be great to hear from ANYONE who has successfully grown one of these up to ANY size!!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I have found this palm to be relatively easy to grow as a seedling, but harder to germinate. They are slow but when others plants nearby are getting hit hard by fungus and/or spidermites, they seem to be untouched.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I've got 3 of them, but they are only young and just on their second leaves. What I CAN say, is that they all did very well over winter, just out under a tree with no other protection. They still look as dark glossy green as they did before winter, and grew slowly the whole time. No spots etc, so they are reasonably cool tolerant.

Daryl

• Like 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Over the years, I've sold a small number of these and know of several people in LA that have kept them going.  They are slow.  Right now we probably have at least 100 plants in 1 gallon size.  They just keep growing at a slow rate but so far have taken mid-30's OK.  

Phil

Jungle Music

• Like 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I wonder if these are more cool tolerant than Cocos nucifera.

Jeff, Thats a very good picture of the Forest Coconut. The only pic I'd ever seen was in the POM and they looked like they were in dense dark wet jungle, but your pic shows it in full sun. I wonder if they have the same need for strong sunlight like Cocos and Beccariophoenix once past the seedling stage.

I'd love to know if these will grow in my climate or S Cal.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I have one in a 15gal. pot. This from a batch of seed of about 5 years ago. It is about 3 feet tall. Looks okay. I have it in my cold frame right now. I think it will grow find in my garden once it gets some size. I have alot of 1gals. as well. They are on second & third leaf. Worth having, very rare. Ron

• Like 1

(neoflora @ Oct. 13 2006,10:07)

I have one in a 15gal. pot. This from a batch of seed of about 5 years ago. It is about 3 feet tall. Looks okay. I have it in my cold frame right now. I think it will grow find in my garden once it gets some size. I have alot of 1gals. as well. They are on second & third leaf. Worth having, very rare. Ron

Ron

Forgive my ignorance, but where are you located approx. S Florida?

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Interesting Habitat picture Jeff, do you have more pictures? I wonder How old that palm might be? I palnted one in Hawaii about 4 years ago that I inherited from Ken Foster, this is one of the slowest growing palms there is. My palm is holding about 4 to 6 leaves at this time. The Hawaiin climate doesn't seem to help speed up the growth much. I have grown these in Calif. years ago from seed batches that I barely got a few to germinate. They seem to do fine in the coldframes. Outdoors in Calif. might be another story tiime will tell but I'm afraid we won't be the ones telling the story this is one for our kids.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

(Tyrone @ Oct. 13 2006,07:19)

(neoflora @ Oct. 13 2006,10:07)

Ron

Forgive my ignorance, but where are you located approx. S Florida?

regards

Tyrone

Tyrone-

Ron is in Southern California

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

From what I've seen, I'd agree with Jerry.  I saw one in Jeff Marcus' garden that I think he told me was planted 8 year ago.  It was a pretty full plant but still only 3 or 3 1/2 feet tall.  I've decided that at my old age of 31, this palm won't amount to much in my lifetime.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Matt,

Don't be such a pessimist! :(  I'm twice your age and have every intention of planting some. And seeing them grow up to a good size....!

Bo-Göran

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I have one small seedling with two leaves that's about a year old.  It seems to tolerate the cool weather pretty well, at least inside my cold frame...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I can only echo the others about its slow growth rate even in Hawaii. Hopefully its one of those that all of a sudden picks up speed.

Jeff, I hear you may have the largest one in the ground in cultivation. If true, how about a pic. And also, what light can you shed on natural growing conditions? Are the healthiest plants in sun or shade? What elevation are most growing? Estimated low temps? Did you notice soil type? Any other possible cultivation tips?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Matt in SD.

Live as if you will die tommorrow and garden as if you will live forever.

Alan

this is a paraphrase of some famous dude - anyone know who as I have forgotten?

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Mahatma Gandhi ..."Live as if you were going to die tomorrow...Learn as if you were going to live forever".... but he probably meant to say Garden

• Upvote 2

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

No, there is another LESS famous dude with the garden thingy.  I would have remembered Ben Kingsley, I mean Gandhi.

Alan':laugh:'

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Well, whoever said it, it's a great approach!!

Good point Alan...but for us SoCal "acreage challenged" folks we might need to add some concept regarding your perceived space for planting palms.

Maybe "buy palms as if you're going to die tomorrow, plant palms as if they're all going to die tomorrow"??

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

(Daryl @ Oct. 13 2006,06:17)

I've got 3 of them, but they are only young and just on their second leaves. What I CAN say, is that they all did very well over winter, just out under a tree with no other protection. They still look as dark glossy green as they did before winter, and grew slowly the whole time. No spots etc, so they are reasonably cool tolerant.

Daryl

Totally off topic, but Daryl I lost your eMail.  Please contact me at  crider2@hawaii.rr.com

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Jeff-

I took a second glance at that photo you posted in habitat. Are you sure that isn't Marojejya insignis?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

This is the largest Voanioala gerardii that I know of in cultivation. I don't recall Jeff Marcus's plant. This one is at the Sullivan garden in Kapoho.

Jerry

JD Andersen Nursery

Voanioalagerardii.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

When i hear everyone talking about this species doing well in temps of 30s', mid 30's etc - i am wondering what happened to mine when i left it out for a coupla days. From what i remember - those were not very cold nights - but the leaves got burnt pretty badly. I noticed it just in time - and brought it inside. Thankfully enough - it is now pushing its third leaf and there is a already a fourth spike - still in one gallon though. I have it on our window sill and perfectly serves as the obect of my drool.

joseph

joseph

www.ortanique.com

SF Bay Area, CA

Jerry,

that's a tiny picture.... How do we know you're not just pulling our legs, and maybe that's really a Ravenea rivularis...? :D

Bo-Göran

I'm with Bo. And how do we know its really Jerry and not Dan?  :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Bo,

Thats a tiny palm in a big picture. I just figured out how to post images so I have to be careful to not get to carried away.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Maybe these are just slow when young, like a lot of the rarer palms we grow. A lot of Dypsis for example are slugs in pots and during their early years in the ground. Once they form a trunk they seem to pick up speed. Same goes for some of the New Caledonian species. Also palms like Borassus seem to speed up a fair bit once they start trunking.

I recall Tony Irvine mentioning the great age of some of the Oraniopsis on Mt Lewis. They are also slow as a potted palm, but there are quite a few in cultivation in Brisbane that are starting to get trunks, and are less than 20 YO. Maybe they start slow, then get a burst of speed, then slow down once they hit a 'mature' height?

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Jeff Searl, please post a picture of yours, I believe it to be the largest one in the US.

Someone enlarge that bee-bee size thumbnail so we can view the pic.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Our greenhouse gets down to about 36 degrees, and they've taken that with ease.  I've grown them in full sun inside (our cycad house) and in shady areas.  In all areas, they just keep plugging away.  I've not seen evidence that the hot sun set them back.  I think the lack of experience with this species is because of the historically low percentage of germination, therefore providing few plants for feedback.  Of the Madagascar species, it is one of the rarest for sure.  I'd recommend people trying it.  Even though it's going to take a long time, lots of palms take time.  And, you're planting your garden for fun and the future.  Don't want to miss out on an exciting species like this.

Phil

• Like 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Jerry,

This was the only picture of one of two palms that we saw. They were basically the same size also.

Christian,

This was definitely a Forest Coconut. It was confirmed by Pete Balasky, Bill Beatie( Australia) and our local guide. We saw Marojejya insignis growing up in the Marojejy Mtns. earlier. They are completely different in looks.

Ron,

This large speciman was one of only 2 palms growing in cultivation out in full sun. The area was a steep hill side, and where further up the mountain there is a small population in habitat growing.Bill, Pete and a guide has visited this population earlier on another trip.

This small speciman is growing in my yard, here in South Florida. It was planted about 4 years ago and is 2 feet tall now. It has been slow growing, but after removing some heliconia leaves away from it earlier this summer, it has responded well and is growing a little faster now . It is not the largest  plant in the ground, but I am extreamly pleased and will be planting more in the ground next year. My soil is a rich organic type and gets plenty of water as needed.

post-23-1160958557_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, I did my first batch in peat moss & perlite. They have been slow. I did my second batch in rich soil medium & they seem to be moving along. Ron

• Like 1

It's great to hear that people like Phil, Ron, Bo, Joseph, Jerry and myself along with others I'm sure, now have good numbers of these palms started, so that we as a group can grow these on and get them into public and private gardens to plant out and eventually learn more about them. Hopefully we can watch this species thrive in cultivation and therefore reduce the need for collecting seed on the few remaining trees in habitat.

• Like 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

get them into public and private gardens to plant out

Don't forget the $$$$. These things cost a fortune to buy over here. If they were far cheaper then we'll get them into gardens.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

FORGET the $$$! :P We're talking unusual palms here, and you're getting side-tracked with petty details!! :D

Bo-Göran

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bump this to see if anyone's was exposed to lower than mid-30's this winter.  I was thinking of ordering one to try.  How are everyone's doing?

• Like 1

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Mine was down to 37F in my greenhouse.   It is at what I feel is the most tender stage of any palm, the first leaf is only about 1/3 emerged (and it's a double germinated seed so there are two leaves coming from one seed).  It is growing just fine and didn't seem fazed at all by the cold.

• Like 1

San Diego

all you guys are making me nervous, have one in the garden 6 -8 leaves

did not realise how rare these are. might have to dig it up and put it in pot for winter

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

(Jeff Searle @ Oct. 16 2006,21:53)

It's great to hear that people like Phil, Ron, Bo, Joseph, Jerry and myself along with others I'm sure, now have good numbers of these palms started, so that we as a group can grow these on and get them into public and private gardens to plant out and eventually learn more about them. Hopefully we can watch this species thrive in cultivation and therefore reduce the need for collecting seed on the few remaining trees in habitat.

:) Hi Guys

Now were not allowed to Harvest This Seed At all,

Not Legally, We Sure need to plant what we have

so we can get these rare beautys growing to

mature plants.

"Does'nt matter when we die,do it just 4 the Future"

Permits are a simple piece of paper over there

{Madagscar}. But Import permits will never ever

be issued, Thats Cities once again.

Shame, Guys we 've got to make a Ray gun,

We may need a Nutty Professor, or The lazer from

"Honey I Blew up the kid".

Then we can say we have C.V. Seeds.

Would'nt that be cool. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Regards  Mike.E.  :D

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Mike,

It appears that Voanioala gerardii are listed on CITES as Appendix II,  as such trade in seed of Appendix II is allowed.

Here is a recent notification I received from DEH regarding the importation of Appendix II seed into Australia

Dear Bruce  

In regards to Appendix II seeds, they are subject to the general plantae exclusions.  This means that you will not need a permit from our department in order to import the seeds of these species.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely

International Wildlife Trade Section

Australian CITES Management Authority

Department of the Environment and Water Resources

GPO Box 787

CANBERRA  ACT  2601

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.