• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Huge mystery palm seed

PalmatierMeg

Hello to All,

Today my husband and I went to a tropical plant sale at the Edison/Ford Estate where I bought a Coccothrinax barbadensis x borhidiana, a Dictyosperma alba var rubra and a Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana. Then we drove about a mile into downtown Ft. Myers along the riverfront to a city park that has specimens of many different palms, all identified. We stopped and took photos.

We also picked up seeds of about a dozen species. But we found just one huge seed lying on the ground and no clues as to which palm produced it (we are almost certain it is a palm; the park has nothing but palms and a few cycads).

I brought the seed home and photographed it from several angles:

1. Dorsal view with ruler. The seed is 4" long, about 2.5-3" wide and deep.

2. Ventral view with ruler.

3. Stem view

4. Blossom view

So, palm experts, what palm species produced this gem? Does it require special germination techniques and what are they?

post-1349-1227993760_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1227993774_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1227993795_thumb.jpg

post-1349-1227993811_thumb.jpg

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Hello to All,

Today my husband and I went to a tropical plant sale at the Edison/Ford Estate where I bought a Coccothrinax barbadensis x borhidiana, a Dictyosperma alba var rubra and a Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana. Then we drove about a mile into downtown Ft. Myers along the riverfront to a city park that has specimens of many different palms, all identified. We stopped and took photos.

We also picked up seeds of about a dozen species. But we found just one huge seed lying on the ground and no clues as to which palm produced it (we are almost certain it is a palm; the park has nothing but palms and a few cycads).

I brought the seed home and photographed it from several angles:

1. Dorsal view with ruler. The seed is 4" long, about 2.5-3" wide and deep.

2. Ventral view with ruler.

3. Stem view

4. Blossom view

So, palm experts, what palm species produced this gem? Does it require special germination techniques and what are they?

I admit I don't know a lot, but it looks like a baby coconut. Perhaps its an Attilea (sp)?

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

It looks like an Attalea to me.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Hi Palmetier and friends,

Sorry if I dissapoint someone, this is not an Attalea. I´v seen a lot, but never this size.

It looks to me a coconut that did´nt make it, never grew to full size, any way they dry out just the same and fall off the coconut palms.

I posted in an earlier reply here,a photo of an Attalea with seeds around the base, so please compare.

I have to agree with Jose, I find a lot of tiny coconuts that look just like that when they abort and fall when still very small.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Group,

I don't know for sure if it's the one you're showing above, but it looks pretty darn close. These below are Orbignya martiana seeds. I knew my picture would come in handy some day. When I collected them from a huge overhead flower with about 100 mature seeds, all released at once and crashed down on me. Those pointed ends hurt, believe me.

Phil

orbignya_martiana_001_(seed).GIF

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Phil, seeds in your photo sure look like one in mine. Now I am befuddled. What do I have: Orbignya martiana or aborted coconut? Just when I was fixing to toss it into the vacant lot next door.

I will have to recheck my downloaded photos, but I do not remember seeing"Orbignya martiana" on any of the ID plaques, not that I can depend on the city of Ft. Myers to get any info correct. Heck, I can't find even a picture on the internet so far, nothing except crossword puzzle clues. All I can find out is that it is a feather palm from S. America.

Edit: OK, apparently Orbignya is now Attalea, so we are back to square one. Maybe I will toss the thing into the vacant lot after all.

Meg

Florida

Phil is right, they are sharp-ended. My last day at Fairchild found me staring at a bunch of A. phalerata finally turning color after months of watching. I knocked down what hadn't fallen and I did get stuck a few times.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Phil, seeds in your photo sure look like one in mine. Now I am befuddled. What do I have: Orbignya martiana or aborted coconut? Just when I was fixing to toss it into the vacant lot next door.

I will have to recheck my downloaded photos, but I do not remember seeing"Orbignya martiana" on any of the ID plaques, not that I can depend on the city of Ft. Myers to get any info correct. Heck, I can't find even a picture on the internet so far, nothing except crossword puzzle clues. All I can find out is that it is a feather palm from S. America.

Edit: OK, apparently Orbignya is now Attalea, so we are back to square one. Maybe I will toss the thing into the vacant lot after all.

Hi Palmetier,

If Orbygnia= Attalea, I didnt know, but these look larger or else it`s a small hand.. :lol:

I would not worry, bury the seed in some wet soil, and wait....Scientific method, then we`ll see what happens.

Any way I`ll send you some seeds from <Attalea.Later I`ll post some photos.

Dont toss the seed yet!

Jose Maria

My seed just fits in my hand, but I have a small hand. Should I plant it just like a coconut, i.e., partially buried in planting medium?

Meg

Florida

Hi Palmetier,

I guess Florida is bound for winter, maybe better inside as warm as possible, laying the seed down, not moving it.

Later I will send some photos, i`m not home now.

Hi Palmetier,

Here are some photos of the seeds with and without fibrous hull around, I took this picture just seconds ago from some seeds of Attalea butyracea. The only Attalea supposed to grow wild here in Costa Rica.

The name butyracea ,I guess ,comes from the butterlike solids around the seed.

And another picture from the palm itself with a huge flower.

Comparing these seeds with the one you found , does not solve the puzzle yet.

post-2199-1228354379_thumb.jpg

post-2199-1228354771_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jose Maria

Jose,

Your picture of the seeds shows similarities to the seed I have, but your seeds are less than half as large. My husband found a website with tips on germinating that stinker - apparently they are pretty tough and need "encouragement" to sprout. Yikes!

Meg

Florida