• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nice specimen palms for sale

JD in the OC

(Administrator, please feel free to move to the For Sale section.)

Here is a Copernicia gigas 95gallon $2500

0128091051.jpg

Syagrus amara B&B $1000

0128091052a.jpg

Licuala peltata var. sumawongii $300

0127091149a-2.jpg

Wow. That is one fat Amara.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

What does "B&B" stand for?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Burlaped and bagged, I beleive. Even though I don't see any burlap on that specimen?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Burlaped and bagged, I beleive. Even though I don't see any burlap on that specimen?

It should be balled and burlaped, meaning the plant is not technically in a pot. You can call it either really.

Imagine it the Florida version of a 24" box, but to the 10th power. :winkie:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Or "balled and bagged"

A note on the S. amara- this is a beautiful palm in person!! I wish these were available in CA at this size, it is a great coconut alternative (as Phil pointed out in a recent thread). Anyone know the cold hardiness on one??

Pre Ike there was a S. amara here on the island that never looked much different than queens (from the cold). The amara was just starting to flower when Ike came through, I have to say it was beautiful.

you can see our islands rating in my signature but, suffice it to say it has seen days in the low30's and probably even a day or 2 in the high 20's

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Pre Ike there was a S. amara here on the island that never looked much different than queens (from the cold). The amara was just starting to flower when Ike came through, I have to say it was beautiful.

you can see our islands rating in my signature but, suffice it to say it has seen days in the low30's and probably even a day or 2 in the high 20's

Your beautiful world will return.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Or "balled and bagged"

A note on the S. amara- this is a beautiful palm in person!! I wish these were available in CA at this size, it is a great coconut alternative (as Phil pointed out in a recent thread). Anyone know the cold hardiness on one??

For you Cali transplants... :) ....it's balled and burlapped.

But a nice Syagrus though. It should handle in the low 30's for many hours with no problem, even upper 20's I would suspect if just for a brief time.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I just saw a nice S. amara in a Santa Monica garden; about 15' tall and looking perfect.

San Fernando Valley, California

Joe,

They're pretty cold tolerant. Mine was in a somewhat protected spot in the 2007 freeze and was untouched. Syagrus botryophora, sancona & vermicularis have all spotted a bit every winter, but not amara. It just takes forever to go pinnate--5 years and counting...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Or "balled and bagged"

For you Cali transplants... :) ....it's balled and burlapped.

But a nice Syagrus though. It should handle in the low 30's for many hours with no problem, even upper 20's I would suspect if just for a brief time.

Jeff

Yeah what Jeff said........so as NOT to be confused in anyway with a Cali transplant!!!! :lol:

Balled and burlapped, balled and burlapped, balled and burlapped....... burned forever in my mind from this point on!

Not burlapped and bagged as I previously said in error!

Nice amara!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

• 5 months later...

Yep, balled and burlapped here too. Balled and bagged sounds more like a felony. NICE Syagrus amara !

Edited by TimHopper

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com