• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix hanceana

Rod

post-262-1238438288_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of my Phoenix hanceana (Phoenix loureiri var. loureiri). This palm is 13 years old and this is the first time it has flowered - very slow growing. I'm assuming it is a male - the others didn't flower so I'm hoping the others are female. I don't remember ever having a discussion about this palm. Riffle's book mentions that it is from India. Any other info?

Rod

Phoenix

• Upvote 2

thats a nice specimen.

Its a variable palm that is native from India to southern China and the Philippines. It has had many names in the past including P. hanceana, p. humilis, P. philippinensis, P. robusta, and P. taiwaniana. Usually it is a single trunked specimen growing slowly to about 20ft. There are also suckering forms. There are 2 varieties of P. loureiroi; var. loureiroi and var. pedunculata. The only difference is in some flowering details. RPS sold seed of a form of var. pedunculata from the Western Ghat mountains in western India where it grows up to 6000ft. Its a more compact form that suckers and has bluish leafs.

here is one of ours, it was originally acquired as P. taiwaniana. Its been a slow grower but has flowered several times at this small size.

bf7f.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Lovely visuals gentlemen... :)

Kris, are these grown or seen in your area? it is a great smaller palm.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Dear Eric :)

No this is the first time iam seeing one,and it could be on sale in local nurseries but they will call it in some other local name,which makes palm purschases very difficult.And as i have said before that people here grow only plams that bear some edible fruit..like coconut,palm oil,beetle nut etc..So in a decades time all endangered species of our land will certainly vaninsh..

Since palms & cycads are not considered that important in onces house garden here,where i live.

But in case i come across any of the above palms in discussion,i will keep you informed.

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 8 years later...