• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

Braden, this last one looks like it has some blue E. arenarius in it.

Jody

Certainly, a very schmick looking bluey. Pete

Hi David,

the "Spineless" is one of the plants from Liz Butler and has 6 or 7 offsets.

The cone in the picture is on one of the offsets and is very new/small.

With time it will get to about triple it's current size and get that wrinklely,pale greenish look.

I have quite a few tris that show this kind of look early just to change a bit later in their developement.

Here's a classic or regular Tri with a cone that is a little farther along then the "Spineless" one.

Encephalartos trispinosus in a 15g pot.

e.trispinosus14F.jpg

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

George,

Please excuse me, I'm just curious in learning. Here is one of my friend's male spineless tri that came from Loran's offset. I also heard of a rumor that it's only found as male, but there is a possibility of female colony that no one is talking about. Would you know anything about this? or just a rumor.

Here is his male spineless tri that have a solid green cone from the start.

Thanks,

David

post-4591-001232200 1315280209_thumb.jpg

post-4591-049336700 1315280280_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My C. deboensis x C. revoluta is getting a new leaf and it looks like just about every leaf will be split!

2850496540066947068S600x600Q85.jpg

But I was thinking why cross Cycas deboensis with a little slow growing Cycas like Cycas revoluta? Why not cross it with something like Cycas thouarsii? If nobody else does it I'm going to make some crosses with that bad boy and see what I can get.

• 3 weeks later...

Cannot believe how fast debaoensis is ,, this seedling was only planted a year or so ago ..

has 1 large leaf , and I thought it might shoot a few larger ones , but it is a cone .

This big boy is loving it .post-354-027966300 1317437858_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got a little coneage going on up in here. Thought I would share :drool: This Encephalartos Gratus is the first Cycad I ever bought. It was a 2 leaf seedling. post-351-018246700 1321146736_thumb.jpgpost-351-090007100 1321146781_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Encephalartos Villosus (the poor mans Cycad). Coning male.post-351-054126200 1321146931_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

New leaf of Zamia Ipetiensis. The leaflets are as big as Zamia Splendens. This one would be much happier in Hawaii!

Stevopost-351-078554300 1321147096_thumb.jpg

I was given a Cycas circinalis that had been damaged in recent cyclone .

Looks like it may have 3 growing points now .

post-354-098075700 1321529940_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Got a little coneage going on up in here. Thought I would share :drool: This Encephalartos Gratus is the first Cycad I ever bought. It was a 2 leaf seedling. post-351-018246700 1321146736_thumb.jpgpost-351-090007100 1321146781_thumb.jpg

Me too Stevo, bought 2 x gatus in a 5" pot in 1995 along with a few other encephalartos, its your size now,and 1 is male 1 is female :) i think i posted a pic of the female coner here. Pete

Me too Stevo, bought 2 x gatus in a 5" pot in 1995 along with a few other encephalartos, its your size now,and 1 is male 1 is female :) i think i posted a pic of the female coner here. Pete

Looking good Pete! I know Gratus are one of the more common Cycads but I love em.

Stevo

Everything is really moving now! A few photo's from my place...

Cycas pectinata

6314581698_64560be221_z.jpg

Bowenia spectabilis

6314582654_cb0c559390_z.jpg

Encephalartos gratus with a 15 leaf flush!

6314580310_67a66d875d_z.jpg

Zamia vazquezii

6314584402_347011f7a6_z.jpg

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Thanks George, glad you enjoyed them!

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Encephalartos Transvenosus, may not be super rare but they are one of the best looking green cycads you can grow. Fast, huge, and hardy.

post-811-042262600 1322452062_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Braden de Jong

Encephalartos Transvenosus, may not be super rare but they are one of the best looking green cycads you can grow. Fast, huge, and hardy.

Agree, ours is a real Blue Green, wish i had more than 1 of these planted, shouldnt be far off coning will add a pic next flush which will be very soon.

Lepidozamia hopei

Female

5193995439_fb86bddb25_z.jpg

Male

5194598232_db97aedeb1_z.jpg

Kurt

Great shots Kurt !

How big are the plants under the cones ?

I was taking pictures of a bunch of blue cycads when I came across this one that I had not seen in a long time.

Another happy Encephalartos ........

e.stackedblue.jpg

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Great shots Kurt !

How big are the plants under the cones ?

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Thanks for your interest, George.

I had to use my ladder to take these photos!

What hybrid is that too out of interest, and approximately how old?

Kurt

New Flush just starting on Encephalartos Transvenosous and Natalensis. Will post some more when they are a little further as well.

post-0-085044600 1322710756_thumb.jpg

post-0-050187200 1322710769_thumb.jpg

post-0-086745600 1322710781_thumb.jpg

post-0-048733600 1322710795_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...