• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Update on my 200 sq ft...

www.dadluvsu.com

Anyone remember when I redid my little townhouse "yard"?

Stock finish, builder quality "landscaping" in 2004

DSC00824.jpg

This pic was taken the week I (cough cough) completed :rolleyes: the project.

DSC00826.jpg

Here's how things have filled out since then... :drool:

DSC04008.jpg

The C. metallica's are all growing some skinny little trunks.

DSC04010.jpg

The Licuala lauterbachii are stretching to find some light and look cool because of it.

DSC04009.jpg

There are flowers on my P. roeb's

DSC04000.jpg

and my Licuala grandis made it through winter without looking too bad. This thing is getting big and is hard to photgraph. Where's the trunk already?

DSC04005.jpg

I'm regretting planting the Areca vestiaria... It just doesn't like my soil and is slowly declining. Shoulda left it in the pot.

DSC03994.jpg

Pinanga coronata is doing just dandy.

DSC04004.jpg

and so is the Pinanga sp. 'blue fruit'

DSC04006.jpg

The little C. hookeri that is planted way too close to the Foxtail is slow but steady.

DSC03965.jpg

LAST PICS!

P blue fruit's new frond opening

DSC04001.jpg

New additions are this Dypsis florencei

DSC03999.jpg

A Linospadix monostacyha

DSC03998.jpg

and lastly a Dransfieldia micrantha

DSC03970.jpg

Looking really good Will.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Bill, thanks for the update. I love that Pinanga coronata - it looks perfect!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Looks really great Bill. You have some really cool stuff planted in there. I can't wait to see it in another 3 years when things start getting big. I can't believe you have so much freedom in a Townhouse community to be able to plant the non-traditional stuff. You must have a great BOD and good neighbors. I am surprised by your Areca. Did it dry out?

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

You said 200 sq. ft.? Looks really great Bill. You have some really cool plants stuffed in there.

I've got a neighbor in nearby Westminster, who might suggest you still have lawn space lacking palms... :blink:

Just pokin' fun. Really nice selection of plantings, you got there. I'd give Dave's right arm to be able to grow that Licuala here in Orange County.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Great stuff Bill. Same micrantha I saw you with I suspect? :winkie:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

:) Thanks gents! Ron, my HOA bites, don't get me started... :evil: I just do what I want. I own that little bit of land and they find themselves in a quandary when questioning me about improvements... They will understand when I move out and sell for more profit than they do. :) That Areca is drying out, it's in pure sand and I just can't seem to keep it wet enough... I give it a couple gallons a day and it still fails. Just recently dug around it and disturbed the roots alittle in an effort to back fill with mostly Canadian peat and little anything else and mulched it above the stilts. Hopefully it makes a difference, time will tell. Doug, I happen to agree with your neighbor! :D Bill, that sure is the plant, I'm real proud of Jeff growing it so well for me :lol: ... Thinking about selling my home and it will come with me. Not giving that one away!! B)

Bill,

Wow, just about everything is thriving. It makes me happy to see your Dransfieldia growing so nicely. That's a pretty rare palm that you rarely ever see.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow Bill! :mrlooney: Your piece of the universe is filling out nicely. What direction does the front of your house face? By the shade it looks north.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Good stuff Bill.....but don't go smelling the flowers on that P. roeb. - you'll lose an eye!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Bill where's the giant boulder you promised on that post long ago??? lol. Looks like the garden is doing good man! Good work. If you ever want to get rid of the Dransfieldia i'd be glad to take her off your hands!

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Bill where's the giant boulder you promised on that post long ago??? lol. Looks like the garden is doing good man! Good work. If you ever want to get rid of the Dransfieldia i'd be glad to take her off your hands!

Mr. Pious Palms,

THERE IS ROOM FOR MORE! VERY, VERY NICE!

Henry (Palm Painter)

Looks great.

Nice selections...

I don't think your HOA has approved that mulch yet! j/k :evil::floor::mrlooney:

Darned them...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Nice stuff Bill. How much for the Dransfieldia? :D

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Look here Ray. Post #66 http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...16700&st=40

or...250 dolla

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Look here Ray. Post #66 http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...16700&st=40

or...250 dolla

I was going to buy the Dransfieldia on the first day of Searle's sale. While standing outside the gates, Bill let me know that he too was interested in that palm. When the gates opened, Bill and I began running towards the Rainforest tent when he pushed me into a hedge. When I protested to BS man about Bills actions BS said pushing, tripping and punching are all fair play at California palm sales and he was letting Bill have the palm. BS then proceded to try to sell me the Dypsis canaliculata for $400. He said that once in the ground this palm would take off like a weed because Dypsis thrive in Florida's soil and climate. :D

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Dear William :)

Very nice landscape work ! And beautiful palms & plants..i like the effect. :)

Thanks for those big sized stills..

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Your project looks great Bill. Some time ago you posted some pictures of a lot you were buying if I remember right. Did you get that place?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks again gents. It's nice to have my labor of love be so appreciated. :)

DK, I did get the property... Since then auto reposessions have been overwhelming and April and I haven't had a spare minute to do anything but work on cars to resell them... We are both looking forward to creating a beautiful garden... We have possibly set our eyes on aquiring another piece of property, slightly larger, a bit more remote and more tropical year round. More info on that as the date draws nearer. B)

Thanks again gents. It's nice to have my labor of love be so appreciated. :)

DK, I did get the property... Since then auto reposessions have been overwhelming and April and I haven't had a spare minute to do anything but work on cars to resell them... We are both looking forward to creating a beautiful garden... We have possibly set our eyes on aquiring another piece of property, slightly larger, a bit more remote and more tropical year round. More info on that as the date draws nearer. B)

MORE TROPICAL??? Like some kind of island, somewhere??

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

or...250 dolla

I was going to buy the Dransfieldia on the first day of Searle's sale. While standing outside the gates, Bill let me know that he too was interested in that palm. When the gates opened, Bill and I began running towards the Rainforest tent when he pushed me into a hedge. When I protested to BS man about Bills actions BS said pushing, tripping and punching are all fair play at California palm sales and he was letting Bill have the palm. BS then proceded to try to sell me the Dypsis canaliculata for $400. He said that once in the ground this palm would take off like a weed because Dypsis thrive in Florida's soil and climate. :D

My memory of this is failing...

Bs Bill,

Might that be because you are gettin OLDTIMERS diseasal? :lol: It hit me about 2 years ago!

William,

It looks great,for the limited space you have to work with! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

looks great,william! the licualas & pinangas are killer!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.