• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha utan

Moose

Kris - Here is my in my juvenile Corypha utan planted several years ago in my yard from Claude Roatta. Chair for scale.

post-1729-1243180429_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1243180501_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 months later...

Dear Ron :)

My sincere apologies,when you posted this thread i was not visiting this forum due to person work(we were expecting a child).That is the reason i did not have chance to see this lovely thread of your's ! :hmm::)

And by the way what have you decided about the PM that i sent you..? :hmm:

Dear Luke :)

Thanks for the bump,most of our members hate guys bumping old threads.But i really missed this nice thread_Spl thanks my friend. :)

And Ron here is a still of one of the corypha's in our collection and its a utan.

post-108-1252129957_thumb.jpg

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

thumbnails..yuck...next thread please !!

always time for a little snarky snoo...

:mrlooney:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

My sincere apologies,when you posted this thread i was not visiting this forum due to person work(we were expecting a child).That is the reason i did not have chance to see this lovely thread of your's ! :hmm::)

And by the way what have you decided about the PM that i sent you..? :hmm:

Dear Luke :)

Thanks for the bump,most of our members hate guys bumping old threads.But i really missed this nice thread_Spl thanks my friend. :)

And Ron here is a still of one of the corypha's in our collection and its a utan.

post-108-1252129957_thumb.jpg

Thanks & Love,

Kris - I missed your offer in your message. How rude for me not to reply. PM sent. Would never had seen it if this thread had never been bumped. :yay: By the way, the C. utan has added three more fronds and has the next spike ready to open.I think this baby's root system may have found a ground water source. Iwill try post a visual for you.

Kindest regards,

Ron. :)

P.S. - Sorry Wal. I have not figured out how to post my photos in a larger format yet. :(

Very eager to see new visuals of your C.Utan/Buri palm.And by the way we in india refer a fattened baffalo as buri ? :hmm: Whoever has kept that name seem very apt ! :lol:

Lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Moose:

That one in your pic planted awfully close to that fence . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Moose:

That one in your pic planted awfully close to that fence . . .

I think I found a slow growing palm. Look at these pictures. The first is Sept of '05 the second is Jan of '07. Today another two years gone buy and it looks the same. Do I have to apply more water???

post-140-1252306347_thumb.jpg

post-140-1252306367_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I wonder why it is so slow for you, Steve. Mine was smaller than yours when I planted it in the ground and it has been 20 months and it has grown heaps. I water mine every second day...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I wonder why it is so slow for you, Steve. Mine was smaller than yours when I planted it in the ground and it has been 20 months and it has grown heaps. I water mine every second day...

I only water twice a week with a 1 gallon/hr dripper and a spray head that also is rated at 1 gallon/hr.

Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes

Wai`anae Steve I have one that is two yrs old and is smaller than yours and gets plenty of water.

Edited by Davidl

David

I only water twice a week with a 1 gallon/hr dripper and a spray head that also is rated at 1 gallon/hr.

Dear Steve :)

i think its your soil & climate,they love hot wet tropical climate and soil they love clayee..yes all the mature corypha's that i have seen till this day are all grown in wet clayee soil & experiencing very hot summers once a year.with temperatures reaching as high as 104 to 108 degrees farenheat.

Since our house garden here has clayee soil,i have planted a couple of corypha's varities without any soil ammendment.. :)

In your case i think the roots have struck on rocks below.If they cannot pass that layer.I doubt they will grow any fast.Since Jubaea,phoenix_date palms,Coryphas first sense the soil depth and only then they put upward grouth.And they are preety massive and tall growing so it becomes imperative that the roots are able to anchor their foot first.

And here is a visual for you..

post-108-1252339184_thumb.jpg

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

:bemused: Remember that this grows to be a massive palm. It must develope a very large trunk under ground for a few years before some faster leaf development occurs at the surface. I believe that mine has been in the ground for eight years (perhaps longer :unsure: ). It appeared to be doing not much the first three years in Zone 10b with a heavy rain type situation and supplemental irrigation during dry times. I thought I was not doing something right for those early years. Patience, you will eventually have a monster on your hands.

Best regards, :)

Ron.

Dear Steve :)

i think its your soil & climate,they love hot wet tropical climate and soil they love clayee..yes all the mature corypha's that i have seen till this day are all grown in wet clayee soil & experiencing very hot summers once a year.with temperatures reaching as high as 104 to 108 degrees farenheat.

Since our house garden here has clayee soil,i have planted a couple of corypha's varities without any soil ammendment.. :)

In your case i think the roots have struck on rocks below.If they cannot pass that layer.I doubt they will grow any fast.Since Jubaea,phoenix_date palms,Coryphas first sense the soil depth and only then they put upward grouth.And they are preety massive and tall growing so it becomes imperative that the roots are able to anchor their foot first.

And here is a visual for you..

post-108-1252339184_thumb.jpg

Lots of love,

Kris, Thanks, I do have clay soil. I'll increase the amount of water. We don't reach the 100s here but it should be seeing 90+ during the summer and we do have humidity which at 8 a.m. should be 60+%.

Steve

If you're ever out this way, look me up. I have plenty in containers up to 7g. You can take your pick should you want to try another plant or two. I'm thinking that Coryhas should do really well in Wai`anae Valley. I think Kris and Ari are on to something with the water, though. Sun exposure is also important.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Steve

If you're ever out this way, look me up. I have plenty in containers up to 7g. You can take your pick should you want to try another plant or two. I'm thinking that Coryhas should do really well in Wai`anae Valley. I think Kris and Ari are on to something with the water, though. Sun exposure is also important.

Aloha Norm. Haven't been to your place in years and the same the other way around. I just may take you up on that offer. Do I bring the Tako Poke or the beer? :mrlooney:

Here is mine.... planted Jan 2008 from 3 strap leaves...

post-512-1252120323_thumb.jpg

Ari, I noticed that the C.utan in the NT in cultivation have shorter leaflets than they do in nth and sth QLD. The plants for sale at one of your local nurseries were the same...long petiole and short, broad leaflets, even though they were in full sun. Down here, they tend to have very long, narrow leaflets at this age.

Perhaps different genetic stock, or just climate?

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dear Daryl :)

Yes even i have noticed that in many stills...every countries utan is very different.

Here is a still of C.Utan growing in chennai and its fronds are very elongated.the still was taken at around 5:45 A.M inside the house compound their is no shade and the area is filled with korean grass lawn only.

post-108-1252420915_thumb.jpg........post-108-1252420935_thumb.jpg

post-108-1252420956_thumb.jpg

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Steve

Aloha to you, too. Sure, just let me know and we'll work out the details. I have two in the ground here, from 2005 vintage seed, which look just like Ari's.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Ari, I noticed that the C.utan in the NT in cultivation have shorter leaflets than they do in nth and sth QLD. The plants for sale at one of your local nurseries were the same...long petiole and short, broad leaflets, even though they were in full sun. Down here, they tend to have very long, narrow leaflets at this age.

Perhaps different genetic stock, or just climate?

Daryl

Not quite sure, Daryl. I just assume the short leaflets are due to the fact that mine is in FULL SUN (I mean FULL SUN, all day sun any time of the day), well, you know where it is planted. I don't have enough shade to plant another one to see whether it makes any difference.... I have another one in the shadehouse... maybe after this wet, I might have more canopies... Although, I like to keep the shade for shade stuff...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 4 years later...

Can't believe how much my palm has grown in 5 years. You can't even see the street from that view point any more. :laugh2:

• Upvote 1

Can't believe how much my palm has grown in 5 years. You can't even see the street from that view point any more. :laugh2:

Picture!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'm involved in an intense mulching project, daylight hours are devoted to the project. 300 cubic ft of mulch spread yesterday.

Will get a photo soon.

• Upvote 1