• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brachychiton acerifolius

redant

Any good info on this tree? While I already have planted one I purchased at HD would still be nice to see others and collect some info.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Very easy to grow tree , can tolerate very dry conditions and also handles extreme wet as well . Many around Tully and Mossman . Seems to be a bit cold hardy as well , as some are growing down in NSW .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Their native range extends all the way down the east coast of Oz to the Illawarra region south of Wollongong. They are all starting to flower here lately...

Daryl

post-42-1163339725_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

There are a bunch of Brachychitons you see on the market around here.  There are either several varieties of the B. acerifolius or they are different species being mis-identified.

Most of the species have something neat about them, either the flower display or the fat trunk or just a really nice shade tree.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Morningstar Nursery was the supplier to HD. They thrive on newer, more unusual items. Sometimes that is not always good as you end up with the next carrotwood tree.

Thanks to all for the input. Seems to be a stunner when flowering and a nice tree when not.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Has anyone seen B. acerifolius flower heavily in FL? I have heard they grow well here but don't flower heavily. We had a nice specimen around 12ft that uprooted 2 years ago with Hurricane Charley. Our other one is about 10ft now. I have seen them for sale at HD up here.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

I have seen them in Cairns blooming heavily.  Cairns has weather similar to S. Fla in that it has wet and dry seasons.  The only large Brachychiton I have seen here is the B. discolor.  It was 30'-40' tall and bloomed heavily.  I have never seen a large acerifolius here.  I have a seedling discolor in the Deerfield Beach Arboretum more than 25' tall and have only seen ONE flower on it.  I think they need to be a certain age before blooming heavily.  That is my theory.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Ciao!!

Here  in  Rome  Italy, braky. acerifolius  dont pass the  winter

In  south ( sicily) is  very popular

I have  Populneus, ( very resistant to  cold  )

and  Rupestris my favourite, a little  bit  tender  to  cold  when young

M@x

North Rome Italy

I have both acerifolius and discolor.  I like the acerifolius better because of the leaves and the smaller tree size.  It looks like a papaya tree.  Hehe.. I got the seeds from the Wild Animal Park about 5 years ago.