• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

foxtail not a growin why?

Brad Mondel

I love foxtails, but they don't provide much "action". Heat + water + good drainage, + fertilizer = 2-3 fronds a year under ideal conditions.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I agree with Terry.

Also, are your growing yours indoors? I really think they need to be outside in the full sun. Since you'll get a killing freeze where you are, you'll need to keep them in big tubs, or build a protective cover in the winter.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

it is an indoor plant,i really wanted a adonidia in this spot but i only could afford the foxtail for now. so should i put it out in the sun? the other day i put it outside to water it and it got sunburned.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

You sure it is not a plastic one?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

i dont think plastic can get burned rather it would melt instead :P

Any palm that has been indoors will burn when put out into the hot sun. They have to be gradually sun hardened before being able to cope with full sun. I dont think they are a very good species for indoors either. They send their roots down fairly deeply and I cant see them thriving in anything but a huge tub or in the ground. They are not a fast growing palm but neither are they all that slow either. I have one planted here in fairly heavy shade it is way behind the others planted in sun or part shade about the same time. If you have a sheltered spot that wont get direct frost then it would be fine outdoors for you I should think.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Any palm that has been indoors will burn when put out into the hot sun. They have to be gradually sun hardened before being able to cope with full sun. I dont think they are a very good species for indoors either. They send their roots down fairly deeply and I cant see them thriving in anything but a huge tub or in the ground. They are not a fast growing palm but neither are they all that slow either. I have one planted here in fairly heavy shade it is way behind the others planted in sun or part shade about the same time. If you have a sheltered spot that wont get direct frost then it would be fine outdoors for you I should think.

Peachy

Roger that, I took a Kentia home I had growing in the office for some insect treatment and went on vacation for a weak and it burned a little.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Yeah, put it outside for the remainder of the summer. Bring it in when it gets cold and leave it next to a window for max sunlight. Then next Spring, send it outside again. I do this with my P. elegans and Spindle.

Just remember, when the soil drops below about 75F then the roots stop producing and the palm will stop growing. So don't expect much growth while it's indoors and there's less direct sunlight.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

got this guy for 30$,had it all summer and NO new fronds opened why? :hmm::angry:

I think they hate being indoors with less or no sunlight.And if i bring plants indoor in my climate they would rot due to high coastal humidity& fungus grouth.And as Terry has rightly pointed out they do need all those to show signs of grouth. :hmm:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It looks like it's sitting in the dark. You should keep it outdoors as much of the year as possible - it needs lots of daylight. Mine (in the ground) is in blazing FL sun year-round. But keep yours under canopy until it acclimates or it will burn for sure. Given enough light & heat they grow vigorously.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I love foxtails, but they don't provide much "action". Heat + water + good drainage, + fertilizer = 2-3 fronds a year under ideal conditions.

Hmph. I onl get one frond a year. But, it's in some shade under a taller royal.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

prolly cause you've got it inside.

mine are all outside, and have shot out atleast three or four fronds already.

you might have to enjoy that bad boy outside, and then overwinter it inside...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

The growth rate here in FL, with three hours direct light, the rest of the day filtered light, plenty of food, and water, a frond every 38 to 45 days when it's above 75 degrees, I have maintained this growth rate for years with my Foxtails, until February 22 that is, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

he gets evening sunlight but i geuss thats not enough,ill harden it off i geuss outside.

Archangel01 There is a very good palm for inside use, The common name is Christmas palm, or Adonidia. The most economical way to go, would be to order seeds and plant your own. They are easy to germinate and grow a lot faster than some of the other palms that are used indoors. I have two that have been inside for several years now, with no problems. This is a fairly short palm, even when grown outside. Averages about 15ft. in height. Of course, growing it in a container would keep it in bounds and shorter than if it were outside in the landscape. Think you would be better satisfied with this palm than with the foxtail, which really needs more sunlight than is available inside the home.

Good luck which ever way you decide.

MGS

Southeast Texas

Zone 9A

Archangel01 There is a very good palm for inside use, The common name is Christmas palm, or Adonidia. The most economical way to go, would be to order seeds and plant your own. They are easy to germinate and grow a lot faster than some of the other palms that are used indoors. I have two that have been inside for several years now, with no problems. This is a fairly short palm, even when grown outside. Averages about 15ft. in height. Of course, growing it in a container would keep it in bounds and shorter than if it were outside in the landscape. Think you would be better satisfied with this palm than with the foxtail, which really needs more sunlight than is available inside the home.

MGS

Southeast Texas

Zone 9A

In his second post, he says he wanted an Adonidia.

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Yes, I agree with Dave. I have a few foxtails and they are all outdoors in the full sun and grow comparatively fast. Good Luck, Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

i love adonidia better than foxtail but they are pricy a big one starts at 200$ :o and small ones (only strap leaves) take forever to get 15 feet tall right?

MGS

Southeast Texas

Zone 9A

I have 2 off these they were in awfull condition when i got them as a gift 3 weeks ago.

Repotted them and hope they will survive.

57415508.th.jpg

72494390.th.jpg

45615757.th.jpg

Edited by grad85
06370.gif

I have 2 off these they were in awfull condition when i got them as a gift 3 weeks ago.

Repotted them and hope they will survive.

57415508.th.jpg

72494390.th.jpg

45615757.th.jpg

Wow, you are'nt kidding!! They're in awful condition! Baby them guys and let's hope for the best!

Archangel,

I agree w/ all the others, give your Foxtail as much sunlight as it can handle while being tender due to being inside.

It will grow well for you in the summer in full sun but when you move it outside in the spring gradually step up the light.

For now let it enjoy the heat/hummidity of summer outside, you'll get to enjoy it inside all winter long.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

• 11 years later...

Brad it’s been 12 years.  I’m also growing a Wodyetia Bifurcata indoors.  How is yours doing?