• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Radermachera Sinica Flowering

epicure3

I have a few flowers about to open. I read in RLR The Tropical Look that it doesn't flower but rarely in cultivation. So either it's really happy or stressed and flowering. Any one else have a China Doll that has flowered before?

post-71-1251499814_thumb.jpg

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Mine did earlier this year. It was so high up on the tree, however, and there were so many other trees around, that it was difficult to see.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Very cool. They look like they will be big flowers.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I don't buy that they don't flower in cultivation. There is one near downtown Mountain View that is about 40 ft. tall, and it regularly flowers every year. The frost in Jan 2007 only nipped the top branches; so, it must be hardier than I had thought.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

The one at Rancho is huge and flowers every year too. The issue is they flower so high up you can't see the blooms nor smell them.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Mine is multi-trunked and the tallest trunk is only about 10' high. The flowers are blooming on a smaller trunk which is only about 7' tall. I just took one off the tree and the scent is incredible. It must have just opened up tonight since it wasn't about 4 hours ago.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

These bloom regularly, even on rather young trees. They are fugacious, opening in late afternoon/evening and dropping in the morning. Turf under trees can be carpeted with white flowers in the AM. Very fragrant, if you can catch them at the right time.

This tree is, indeed, probably hardier than indicated in most texts. One of the largest trees I've seen was just outside of Bakersfield some years ago. I've also seen trees in San Antonio, TX.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

These bloom regularly, even on rather young trees. They are fugacious, opening in late afternoon/evening and dropping in the morning. Turf under trees can be carpeted with white flowers in the AM. Very fragrant, if you can catch them at the right time.

This tree is, indeed, probably hardier than indicated in most texts. One of the largest trees I've seen was just outside of Bakersfield some years ago. I've also seen trees in San Antonio, TX.

Wow, they would have to be pretty hardy in those places. I managed to get a couple of flowers off the tree while open. The fragrance is pretty nice. Almost, a perfumed baby powder type smell. Rather large flowers as well. I have another Radermachira variety growing that has yet to bloom but it is in more shade and not as vigorous here.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter