• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Explosive Growth of........Jubaea chilensis?

Perito

Inspiring thread!

What is the horizontal spread of this palm?

Having seen these pictures I think I might have planted mine too close to a wall.

I planted a whole grove of them from virtual seedlings. They are about 12 years old now and I still have about three years left to trunk, so the estimate of 15 years is about right. I never fertilize my Jubaeas but I can say they love a lot of water. Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

This goes against the myth that Jubaea are one of the slower palms .

Really great thread ,also what are you feeding her ?

Hi Troy, When I fertilize the lawn, the Jub gets some of that. Occasionally I throw a little Apex Palm Plus into the root zone also. Last summer I gave the whole garden a good shot of the Apex, plus a manganese ferting because a lot of palms were yellowing. I'll do that same ferting this year in late spring.

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Sutter Bob and BS Man, How about some updated photos?

Here is a photo of Gary's Jubaea Grove from May of last year. I don't think all of them are visable in this shot.

post-1839-0-10119000-1359739897_thumb.jp

Harry- I had to go measure, the spread is now close to 20'.

• Upvote 1

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

:yay::yay:

Perry! Whatever you give the palm - I want something of it. :D

All jokes aside ... never have seen such a growth of a palm what is known for more slow speed in growing.

Great job! I am quite curious to see pics of 2014 ... 8)

KR,

Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Hi Jason, they do take up a lot of real estate! Maybe you could 'Velez' your neighbors into letting you plant one on their property. B)

Verena- I'll never tell which stearoids I'm using on that Palm! Ha Ha! Thanks for the nice comments, it has been a fun Palm to watch grow! :drool:

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

Ok. Here's some snaps from this morning... :D

post-27-0-94133700-1359823488_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-59750100-1359823642_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-45368200-1359823560_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very nice, the closest I could get to one here would be a BxJ hybrid. Excellent photo's.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Very good growth ! Nice Jubaea!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

After seeing the Jubaea seedlings that Pangea Express mentioned in another thread, it is quite obvious that these want to be in the ground. The difference between a 5g and field grown from the same seed batch was at least double. The in ground ones were at least 24" box size at 6 years. It was also evident which palms had rooted through the pots by their size.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

My line is that Jubaeas are just as fast as Canaries when measured in the long term - say 15-20 years. They really book once the trunk's formed. Another plus is that while they are big palms, their crowns aren't as intrustive as Canaries' crowns, and they often carry their leaves in shuttlecock form for decades before spreading out.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/21/2016, 4:44:40, Perito said:

It is trunking now and has been flowering for a couple years. I actually have a few seedlings from it. I'll post updated photos next week.

Thanks Perry, after how long it was fruiting?

I just planted one 2 months ago ...I got it from Ben ( @Kennybenjamin  ) guess still acclimating to its new home :)...I am not sure how old is this, maybe Ben can help?

56680b6f8ce11_2015-12-0918.24.01.thumb.jpg.c5b7775fca4072cca5f861c20d5c038b.jpg

56690b8d4edaf_2015-12-0918.23.53.thumb.jpg.aa696eb4361137f0fb2d2b7534f0802c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Mohsen, it looks like you have a nice line up of similar sized palms along that fence! My Jubaea fruited for the first time in 2014. I tried repeatedly to hybridize it last year with Parajubaea cocoides but had no success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

On 1/23/2016, 8:54:47, Perito said:

Hi Mohsen, it looks like you have a nice line up of similar sized palms along that fence! My Jubaea fruited for the first time in 2014. I tried repeatedly to hybridize it last year with Parajubaea cocoides but had no success.

Thanks Perry...yes I am trying to grow some palms there :)  so almost after 14 years from seed it starts fruiting ? interesting...will be waiting for some new pics :) 

22 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Mohsen, from memory your palm is about 3 years old from seed

Thanks Ben...I assume most of the ones I got from you must have been in same age ( 3 years) from seed :)

Nice one Mohsen

I think that one came from seed picked from a Hobart tree that i sent up to Kennybenjamen.

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 1/23/2016, 6:21:14, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Nice one Mohsen

I think that one came from seed picked from a Hobart tree that i sent up to Kennybenjamen.

Thanks Troy , Nice to know who is the parent ... :)

do you have any photo of that?

Jubeas are one of my favorite palms.

They are absolutely massive and command respect from all who view them.

i am growing several and have the two different leaf forms.

i have attached an image of our largest specimen which has been in the ground here at our home for approx.twenty years.

Christine and Kaiser lend scale to this beast of a palm.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

On 1/31/2013, 11:09:09, Perito said:

Today marks 10 years in the ground!

post-1839-0-65942300-1359691646_thumb.jppost-1839-0-95672800-1359691671_thumb.jppost-1839-0-71650100-1359691715_thumb.jp

I have always thought Chilean wine palms should be renamed emperor palms.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

An absolutely great documentation! Thank you very much for sharing these pictures!

When I started ordering seeds three years ago it was the first palm I truly wanted. I got ten seeds and within two

years all of them germinated. I have them still all potted but the time will come - thanks to this topic - soon,

that I have to think about a place where I can put at least one of them. The good and bad thing is, there are

getting pretty big - so, I guess I have to be very careful with its location...

A new beast of this species has born this week :lol:. I hope to see it getting bigger and bigger

IMG_1909.JPG

• Upvote 3

08053.gif

20 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, and after only 140 years it will look like this: :greenthumb::D

56b353b874680_Jubaeachilensis1986-09-178

lol, who knows, maybe I'll become the Bicentennial Man :lol:

• Upvote 2

08053.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, raimeiken said:

any updates with this palm? and at what age do they start producing fruit?

They take as little as 50 years to flower....

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

I'll mark my calendar

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I'll mark my calendar

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

19 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I'll mark my calendar

pV4W1.gif

• Upvote 5

Rio_Grande.gif

23 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

ouch! has anyone tried them here? I've read they taste like coconuts