• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Explosive Growth of........Jubaea chilensis?

Perito

3 hours ago, raimeiken said:

ouch! has anyone tried them here? I've read they taste like coconuts

I hear they don't like AZ heat, at least in Kleenex . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

are they not heat tolerant? 

Most trees here do better with afternoon shade when young, but once acclimated and mature, they will fair much better in full sun during summer. i wonder if same can be said for this palm?

3 hours ago, raimeiken said:

are they not heat tolerant? 

Most trees here do better with afternoon shade when young, but once acclimated and mature, they will fair much better in full sun during summer. i wonder if same can be said for this palm?

I've never seen any large Jubaea in Arizona (sun or shade). I'm hoping my hybrids do better (J x Q, J x B, BJ x Q).

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ 

Hi 80°, Lo 54° - some showers

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 4 years later...

Mine has been in the ground over ten years but unlike yours it was just a strapling in a tree pot.  Your growth is amazing. My soil is in hard clay so I guess they do not mind heavy soil like you said. I wish I had Dave's red Converse for scale. Can't wait for some trunk. 

20210809_093633.thumb.jpg.d0f35649df9332c93b774c0af70ea5d5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

My gardener gave it a pineapple cut I was mad but it did not mind.  

20210809_093619.thumb.jpg.8627799d57ef9bbae46f373746fe7693.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Zone 10a?

On 1/23/2016 at 11:54 AM, Perito said:

My Jubaea fruited for the first time in 2014. I tried repeatedly to hybridize it last year with Parajubaea cocoides but had no success.

Hello Perito.

This is interesting as others have said it takes upwards to fifty years for one to flower and bear seed.

I will assume yours is still flowering then? Can you please add some pics to the thread of it flowering and what it currently looks like?

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 2:35 PM, Scott W said:

Hello Perito.

This is interesting as others have said it takes upwards to fifty years for one to flower and bear seed.

I will assume yours is still flowering then? Can you please add some pics to the thread of it flowering and what it currently looks like?

The one at the Catamaran in San Diego has been fruiting for years. I stayed there one weekend about ten years ago and collected a bunch of Jubaea seed. I was unsuccessful . It is great to hear there are other fruiting specimens.... I hope one day it becomes common in the area like canariensis. 

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Zone 10a?

3 hours ago, The Germinator said:

The one at the Catamaran in San Diego has been fruiting for years. I stayed there one weekend about ten years ago and collected a bunch of Jubaea seed. I was unsuccessful . It is great to hear there are other fruiting specimens.... I hope one day it becomes common in the area like canariensis. 

I've never been to California before...maybe some day.

I'm still really interested in seeing an update.  Based on how well it was shown to be growing it should be even bigger by now.  Plus the fact that it is flowering at that size seems amazing.  Almost growing more like it's a hybrid and not purebred....

I have one in the ground here in NE Florida, pics in another thread I started, and I was always told I'll never see it flower in my lifetime, especially since I'll be 50 this year and provided it actually survives these growing conditions, so again hence the interest in @Peritos Jubaea.

Here's my overdue update.. no flowers yet.. I think.. I haven't really looked either.

232040673_1632103013825518_7097928113043341724_n.thumb.jpg.bb91a030558d6d269547b1f31227d90f.jpg

• Like 5

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think that for those in a suitable climate these are a “set and forget” palm and they will just chug away happily bulking out over the ages. They’re worth getting as big as possible to save 10 to 20 years of start up time, but money well spent IF you can find one.

They are virtually non existent here, so apart from one in my collection they’re all from seed. I bought a sad one that was being mistreated at a nursery and mislabeled as Phoenix canariensis. For the price and size it was worth the gamble. It had been dug up and never really took to being rebagged. It’s been doing nicely in the ground but isn’t back to a majestic looking specimen but is getting there.

I have a few in pots I grew from seed that are just bursting to go into the ground this Spring and as they are bulletproof here will put them in sunny exposed, non canopy areas. I protected these seedlings in their early days from rats with vermin proof mesh. Rats in my first lot, stole the seed at the first leaf opening stage and I reckon it slowed them down by about 10 years. These ones will hit the ground running with nothing to hold them up. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am plum curious on this palm - Jubaea chilensis

I live in the Encinitas, CA area. Moon Valley tells me 7500 planted in the 8 ft tall size. Good dealio?

I'm looking at this one since the Canary Date has its infestation issues.

14 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

So I am plum curious on this palm - Jubaea chilensis

I live in the Encinitas, CA area. Moon Valley tells me 7500 planted in the 8 ft tall size. Good dealio?

I'm looking at this one since the Canary Date has its infestation issues.

Where do you see them on Moon Valley's site?  Link?  $7,500?  8' OA or CT?

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

1 hour ago, mjff said:

Where do you see them on Moon Valley's site?  Link?  $7,500?  8' OA or CT?

Spoke w one of their sales people over phone. They have to crane it in at that 8ft tall size.

3 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Spoke w one of their sales people over phone. They have to crane it in at that 8ft tall size.

So it is 8' CT?  $7,500 for one that size delivered and planted would be very fair.  Cranes aren't cheap, and they will have to dig a hole the size of a spa for it.  Rootball should be at least 6'x6'x3', I prefer 8'x8'x4' which makes for a lot of weight.

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Sorry, need help for the palm acronym-impaired. :)

OA, CT ?

Good to know on root ball size. I might go smaller then, let it grow over 15 years and slowly do its thing. Thanks these insights!

OA = overall, trunk and fronds

CT = clear trunk, height of the trunk only from the ground to where the fronds start.

The larger the rootball, the better the chances it will survive transplant.  Was the price delivered and planted or just for the plant?

Lows:

2 hours ago, mjff said:

OA = overall, trunk and fronds

CT = clear trunk, height of the trunk only from the ground to where the fronds start.

The larger the rootball, the better the chances it will survive transplant.  Was the price delivered and planted or just for the plant?

Plant, delivery, planted. 7500. 

It's about the same cost as a used Prius, but far more majestic!

Edited by Christopher Dillman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Plant, delivery, planted. 7500. 

It's about the same cost as a used Prius, but far more majestic!

And will last 100x longer than a Prius. 

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

thought i could contribute ... got this from gary and planted on aug 2009 vs here it is today.  this one is special to me since my brother helped me plant it and it was my very first palm in the ground.  needless to say that was the beginning of my obsession but more importantly the beginning of many very cool new friendships.  :D

image.thumb.png.c8fac73ed2399d2b04b11dfb99f1cbe8.png

image.thumb.png.b0eb81f94c525dad7b000f7194ebded4.png

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

1 hour ago, tinman10101 said:

thought i could contribute ... got this from gary and planted on aug 2009 vs here it is today.  this one is special to me since my brother helped me plant it and it was my very first palm in the ground.  needless to say that was the beginning of my obsession but more importantly the beginning of many very cool new friendships.  :D

The more I see pics, the more I like it. And good to know it can thrive in SoCal.

My landscaper warned me it can get as high as 80 feet tall. So I guess my great great grandchildren might be around to enjoy it.

I'm good with that size you show in the pic. 

The only other palm I'm considering is the Phoenix dactylifera. Have to price compare with that one in the 8ft OA size.

3 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

The more I see pics, the more I like it. And good to know it can thrive in SoCal.

My landscaper warned me it can get as high as 80 feet tall. So I guess my great great grandchildren might be around to enjoy it.

I'm good with that size you show in the pic. 

The only other palm I'm considering is the Phoenix dactylifera. Have to price compare with that one in the 8ft OA size.

i feel a jubaea is a no brainer in socal if you have room. its slow to start but once established, you dont even have to take care of it.  mine has been through 115F and 26F.  it definitely makes a statement IMO.  I would love to see yours once planted.  $7500 quoted seems like a deal to me and beats a phoenix dactylifera any day IMO.  

i brake for a jubaea in a any neighborhood but never a phoenix.  LOL

• Like 2

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

2 hours ago, tinman10101 said:

Very nice, looks like it’s about to go vert. 

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

37 minutes ago, freakypalmguy said:

Very nice, looks like it’s about to go vert. 

wow matt .. so glad you are back on the forum.  i know ive been absent for awhile as well.  your garden must be crazy now since i havent seen you post in like 10 years LOL  in any case thanks for the compliment.  if you ever going to six flags, hit me up.  i am only 4 miles away and would love for you to come see the garden if you want.  

the jubaea trunk honestly is a little skinny IMO.  i am hoping it gets thicker.  its about 2.5 feet across but would love for it to bulk up more.  at least it is finally starting to get that pencil neck tip that i love.  its funny i didnt believe my brother when we first planted it that it would consume the whole front yard but know the fronds stretch from one side to the other and pushing the bismarkia forward.  here is a pic of the girth.  i wished i had more room to plant another.  cheers mate

tin

image.png.d988c564f78686c42e89d53f72bceadf.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

38 minutes ago, tinman10101 said:

wow matt .. so glad you are back on the forum.  i know ive been absent for awhile as well.  your garden must be crazy now since i havent seen you post in like 10 years LOL  in any case thanks for the compliment.  if you ever going to six flags, hit me up.  i am only 4 miles away and would love for you to come see the garden if you want.  

the jubaea trunk honestly is a little skinny IMO.  i am hoping it gets thicker.  its about 2.5 feet across but would love for it to bulk up more.  at least it is finally starting to get that pencil neck tip that i love.  its funny i didnt believe my brother when we first planted it that it would consume the whole front yard but know the fronds stretch from one side to the other and pushing the bismarkia forward.  here is a pic of the girth.  i wished i had more room to plant another.  cheers mate

tin

image.png.d988c564f78686c42e89d53f72bceadf.png

Good to hear from you Tin,  I definitely took a little hiatus, multiple things in life got in the way. The garden definitely took a back seat and ended up very neglected. I’ve been busy cleaning it up and repairing irrigation over the last year or so, it’s looking much better

I definitely will hit you up if I get up that way, I’d love to see your garden. Open invite here also if you are ever in the Temecula area. 

I think it will continue to fatten up even as it goes vertical, I’ve watched a few of my Butia trunks expand even after they had many feet of vertical trunk. Someone also told me one time, or I read it here, not sure, but they theorized that if you leave fronds on longer that the trunk will get fatter. His theory was that the older fronds hang more horizontal and pull outwards on the trunk and growth point helping it spread. Don’t know if it’s true or not.

Matt

• Like 2

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

13 hours ago, freakypalmguy said:

Good to hear from you Tin,  I definitely took a little hiatus, multiple things in life got in the way. The garden definitely took a back seat and ended up very neglected. I’ve been busy cleaning it up and repairing irrigation over the last year or so, it’s looking much better

I definitely will hit you up if I get up that way, I’d love to see your garden. Open invite here also if you are ever in the Temecula area. 

I think it will continue to fatten up even as it goes vertical, I’ve watched a few of my Butia trunks expand even after they had many feet of vertical trunk. Someone also told me one time, or I read it here, not sure, but they theorized that if you leave fronds on longer that the trunk will get fatter. His theory was that the older fronds hang more horizontal and pull outwards on the trunk and growth point helping it spread. Don’t know if it’s true or not.

Matt

Great to see both of you back!.. not that I've made it back full time myself...

But while I am a giant fan of ONLY trimming fronds when they are brown or all the way down, I have never thought the pull the trunk out. I am of the belief that ANY green on a frond is providing energy. If you trim a frond it HAS to go vertical to grow a new one to provide energy.

I would hard pressed to think I've trimmed much more than 30 fronds off my Jubea.... and I like it's girth. ;)

• Like 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

18 hours ago, Christopher Dillman said:

The only other palm I'm considering is the Phoenix dactylifera.

I don't think these palms are even in the same ballpark, if you can afford it go with the Jubaea you won't be disappointed.  That's not even taking into consideration the maintenance requirements of the Phoenix.

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

I don't think these palms are even in the same ballpark, if you can afford it go with the Jubaea you won't be disappointed.  That's not even taking into consideration the maintenance requirements of the Phoenix.

Agreed, leaning towards the Jubaea. I only noted Phoenix as my first first choice was the Canary Date Palm, and Phoenix is quite similar. Yet the weevil and infestation risks on the Canaries make it a no go.

Worth noting that a grower here in San Diego 'injects' something into their Canary Palms that promise to make it weevil resistant. Buuuuuut still not taking the risk. Only a 1 year warranty.

Can't wait to check out the Jubaeas in person at a grower this weekend. I'll probably drop down my VISA, then get the wrath from my wife/CFO on the deal. :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Agreed, leaning towards the Jubaea. I only noted Phoenix as my first first choice was the Canary Date Palm, and Phoenix is quite similar. Yet the weevil and infestation risks on the Canaries make it a no go.

Worth noting that a grower here in San Diego 'injects' something into their Canary Palms that promise to make it weevil resistant. Buuuuuut still not taking the risk. Only a 1 year warranty.

Can't wait to check out the Jubaeas in person at a grower this weekend. I'll probably drop down my VISA, then get the wrath from my wife/CFO on the deal. :D

please take pics and post.  i would be very interested to see the size of their jubaeas.  thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

5 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Great to see both of you back!.. not that I've made it back full time myself...

But while I am a giant fan of ONLY trimming fronds when they are brown or all the way down, I have never thought the pull the trunk out. I am of the belief that ANY green on a frond is providing energy. If you trim a frond it HAS to go vertical to grow a new one to provide energy.

I would hard pressed to think I've trimmed much more than 30 fronds off my Jubea.... and I like it's girth. ;)

thanks bill.  your garden must be a huge lot of telephone poles by now. lol.  i cant imagine all the mature rare species you got going on in there.  i am amazed the jubaea is growing for you since you barely see any actual hot temps like me in the high desert.  matt's mentioned theory of horizontal leaves contributes to the jubaea girth is very interesting.  i hate trimming the fronds on my jubaea but i have to since it is encroaching on my other palms.  we all know most plants use the energy from its oldest leaves first for new growth so i am always sad when i do need to trim them.  bill ... i can totally see your jubaea's trunk pushing over all the other gems around it.  lol 

matt ... thanks for the invite.  i will definitely hit you up when i am in the neighborhood.  i remember you have quite a bit of real estate so your garden must be very lush now.  

• Like 2

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

On 9/2/2021 at 2:03 PM, tinman10101 said:

please take pics and post.  i would be very interested to see the size of their jubaeas.  thanks in advance. 

You asked for it. :)

Here's their 72 spec. I think this is the one that's 7500 planted. Appears to be 7 to 8 ft OAS..

20210906_145350.thumb.jpg.6949a26dc5ecb0ebd3b1fdd17d3d5c47.jpg

Then they had a bunch of 48 specs. Roughly 5 to 6 ft OAS maybe. On sale at 2999 planted...

Juba #1

20210906_144132.thumb.jpg.f240fe763dd6d072c08fbc82df4437e4.jpg

Juba #2

20210906_144243.thumb.jpg.5f601d7faf73d46318445e16d9792951.jpg

Juba #3

20210906_144154.thumb.jpg.47422abd1bf475344ec0c5932df04fc1.jpg

20210906_144203.thumb.jpg.c0ecd9fdc1d76fd1d548eebdcf11a7de.jpg

I'd be ok with the 48 spec planted, as they don't have to crane it in at that size.

Yet the question is how many years you think it would take for a 48 to get to that 72 spec size?

I dig em!

• Like 2

I thought I would post some pictures of my seed grown palm.  I initially planted the seed in the ground as pictured in the first pic and then potted it up to later relocate to its final spot.  The second picture is the palm after about 1 year back in the ground planted in its current location.  The last picture is from January of this year.  It is hard to get a decent picture of the the palm since everything else has grown up so much.  

JubaeaMay2010.jpg

Jubaea2014.jpg

JubaeaJan2021.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jubaea said:

I thought I would post some pictures of my seed grown palm.  I initially planted the seed in the ground as pictured in the first pic and then potted it up to later relocate to its final spot.  The second picture is the palm after about 1 year back in the ground planted in its current location.  The last picture is from January of this year.  It is hard to get a decent picture of the the palm since everything else has grown up so much.  

So how long ago was it planted?

31 minutes ago, Jubaea said:

The first picture is from May 2010, Second is from 2014 and third picture from January of this year.  

That is some impressive growth for sure!  Quite a dramatic change in landscape since it was first planted as well.  Thanks!

16 hours ago, Christopher Dillman said:

I'd be ok with the 48 spec planted, as they don't have to crane it in at that size.

Yet the question is how many years you think it would take for a 48 to get to that 72 spec size?

I dig em!

thanks for posting the pics.  i think the key question is how long will it take for the newly planted jubaea to establish good roots. you definitely get a big head start at that size but i have never planted a palm that big in my yard.  for me the size difference between the 48 and 72 if they were both in the ground with established roots would be probably be 3-4 years if i had to guess.  i planted mine in a 30 gallon pot i think and i remember staring at it for a couple of years wondering when it was going to explode.  honestly, it was only when i totally forgot about it that one day, i said, "hey this thing is getting huge"  LOL.  

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

23 minutes ago, tinman10101 said:

thanks for posting the pics.  i think the key question is how long will it take for the newly planted jubaea to establish good roots. you definitely get a big head start at that size but i have never planted a palm that big in my yard.  for me the size difference between the 48 and 72 if they were both in the ground with established roots would be probably be 3-4 years if i had to guess.  i planted mine in a 30 gallon pot i think and i remember staring at it for a couple of years wondering when it was going to explode.  honestly, it was only when i totally forgot about it that one day, i said, "hey this thing is getting huge"  LOL.  

Does that 2999 planted price look right to you for a 48 spec Jubaea?

Also comes with a 1 year planting guarantee which adds peace of mind. 

They had probably a dozen of these 48 specs on their lot. I'd buy em all and plant in my yard like Johnny Appleseed!

I should look into the 30 gallons for kicks. Plant it in a spot where I can afford to wait longer.

Edited by Christopher Dillman

3 hours ago, Jubaea said:

The first picture is from May 2010, Second is from 2014 and third picture from January of this year.  

That's amazing. So 20 years of growth from seedling to what looks like a 7 ft OAS?

Great look in your yard btw. I'm looking at planting blue agaves with the jubaeas in fall.

2 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

They had probably a dozen of these 48 specs on their lot. I'd buy em all and plant in my yard like Johnny Appleseed!

I should look into the 30 gallons for kicks. Plant it in a spot where I can afford to wait longer.

im no nursery business man but they have a lot of overhead ... honestly, that price is out of my league.  i like to grow palms from small or smaller.  i would think with 3k you could get a smaller sizable in 30-45 gallon and use the rest for another or other palms.  at the end of the day, if you have the time, why not plant more smaller palms.  its also an age thing.  like anything else you pay for time.  especially with palms.  i notice with palms, the older i get, the more i am inclined to pay more for size because you cant buy back youth.  LOL  

• Like 2

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

29 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

When I bought them back in 2007 there were growers planting entire fields of them because the prices were so ridiculous.  I find it hard to believe there aren't a lot of them getting ready to come on the market, but haven't tried to buy any recently.

Lows: