• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Key West in 1900 - Neat old palmy pic

junglegalfla

Very cool. Note the tall-masted schooners in the distance in upper right corner.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That is a GREAT picture!

Look at all those details, though there's also few people in sight, I suspsect either because it's hot out, or because of the long exposure time.

Wonder how many of those structures are still standing now?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

To answer my own question . . .

DSC00824.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

ahhhhhh... great photo Bren...... Key West is one of my favorite towns on earth... what a magnificent place.... Hey everyone.... they're having a GREAT festival next month... FANTASY FEST - went last year - had a great time....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

A fireplace & chimney in KeyWest?

That must have been a wood burning stove...

VINTAGE!

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

KW is a great little town to get away and have alot of fun. A tremendous amount of history there for sure. It's apparant from the size of the coconuts, there's no problems of lethal yellowing. You might not see alot of tall coconuts anymore, but there are certainly thousands planted around. The nice thing is, if you look hard while driving up and down the little streets in "oldtown", you'll find some more unusual palm species planted.

And Fantasy Fest can be ALOT of fun....... :winkie:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

If you look, there is a person walking close to the water front. They are completely dwarfed by the coconut palm. Based on that, I wonder how old those specimens are? Does anyone know if they wound up there by chance or if they were planted on purpose by someone??

I don't know enough about the history of the keys. Fascinating glimpse into history though!

Bill,

I also wondered about that flag. After another view, I just saw the word united on a fence like they used old shipping containers or something similar.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

oh, I just saw the 'saloon' too! Anyone else spot that?? Ah coconuts and saloons, what else can a girl ask for ? :P I'm just grateful I don't have to wear the garb of day. I'd pass out

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I wonder how many of those Atlantic Talls have been taken out by LW or hurricanes?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

If they survived those maladies, I am sure lightning picked them off one by one.

Nice historical picture.

Ron. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

No. Introduced from East Indies.

4a05105a.jpg

Not too bad... Were coconuts on the island before man was?

• Upvote 1

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88