• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Alcantarea imperialis flowering

Al in Kona

This very big bromeliad Alcantarea imperialis is flowering, which means its heading down hill fast, soon to end its life.

Sad I know but luckily I do have several others. Are they difficult to start from seed? Has anyone here tried or can give some tips on how to go about doing it. What medium should I use, light intensity, kept constantly moist, etcetera? I know they are slow to grow that way but they are always in demand and it just might be worth a try.

Pic on Left is how it looked before flowering. Pic on Right is how it looks now.

post-90-1252617434_thumb.jpg

post-90-1252617453_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I think Michael in Tully grow them from seeds all the time... I hope he can answer you questions soon. Does it have hair pups at the moment...?? I have been removing hair pups from mine and so far so good...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Al,

You will have more seed than you'd imagine. A quick and efficient way to germinate them is to fill a seed flat with sterilized potting soil that you might want to apply a fungicide to. Spread the seed all over and mist them to keep them moist (but not soaking wet) and in a few weeks you'll be a papa. Then just wait a couple of years to transplant.

Al,

You will have more seed than you'd imagine. A quick and efficient way to germinate them is to fill a seed flat with sterilized potting soil that you might want to apply a fungicide to. Spread the seed all over and mist them to keep them moist (but not soaking wet) and in a few weeks you'll be a papa. Then just wait a couple of years to transplant.

Thanks GONZER, think I'll give it a try. What the heck, be it starting palms or bromeliads from seed is no big difference anyway, still takes a few years for any sizeable, recognizeable plant! It kinda tests our patience doesn't it? Hopefully we all live long lives, LOL.

I've got a brick of Coconut Coir Fiber so thought maybe I could use that medium to start these broms in. It says its weed and pathogen free. Do you think that would work rather than a potting soil?

Ari - no hair pups on this big plant. My understanding is that usually occurs when the plants are quite young.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Very COOL! Mine gets very red in color since I have it in full coastal sun. It does not look as red as my A. vinicolor(sp?) though

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Al . with so many seeds , put down a few trays . The coco-media will work well , I have used sphagnum moss and even just sown on straight potting mix . Fertigation speeds things up , and potting up into compots with good fert. when approx 1" . I use a pair of forceps to poke seedlings into media , makes the fiddly job a dream . Just grab roots gently and force down into media . I have just recently potted up several compots of hairpups .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

That is a beautiful bromeliad and I have never seen anything like it around here. One of my pretty broms is almost finished flowering and there are no pups in sight so thanks boys for the tips about the seeds. Looking at a simple solution like that never entered my head. Now I only have to find out how to grow philodendrons from seed and my skills will be complete. (for my current needs anyhow) I am going to keep an eye out for one of those A. imperialis though.....its now on the must get list.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 3 years later...

BUMP !, Hey Al, did you ever get the seeds to germinate on for this Alcantarea ?

I purchased a couple of broms from my local markets where some were labelled Alcanatarea "hawaii", I wonder what this could turn out to be ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.