• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BROMELIADS

Tassie_Troy1971

I want to get some to plant around my palms ! :drool:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I have dozens of different broms but none of them are named so I dont know what species they are. I found them all to be pretty tough (bar one) and they seem to survive just about everything anywhere. I would say just buy some pretty ones that catch your eye and go for it.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Aren't you a bit cool for some broms? Here's

Aechmea mariae-reginae at my place. They grew about 8 years before flowering.

post-275-1253201484_thumb.jpg

post-275-1253201794_thumb.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

There are a lot of nice broms.... I am just not sure about their cold tolerance.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

If you are protected from the frost, then broms should do OK.

Here are a few Vriesea, Alcantarea, & Neo's, which all do well outside year round here in Auckland. The palm on the left is an Euterpe edulis, & it does struggle during the cold wet winters.

DSCF3861.jpg

And in another area of the garden, more Neo's with a large Alcantarea imperialis Rubra, beside a Dypsis clump.

DSCF2488a.jpg

Why not try a few this summer, then they will have a few months to adapt to your conditions before next winter.

Cheers, Andrew.

Devo

If you are protected from the frost, then broms should do OK.

Here are a few Vriesea, Alcantarea, & Neo's, which all do well outside year round here in Auckland. The palm on the left is an Euterpe edulis, & it does struggle during the cold wet winters.

DSCF3861.jpg

And in another area of the garden, more Neo's with a large Alcantarea imperialis Rubra, beside a Dypsis clump.

DSCF2488a.jpg

Why not try a few this summer, then they will have a few months to adapt to your conditions before next winter.

Cheers, Andrew.

Love that big purple one wow !

I hardly ever get below 0 C so that Wont be a problem

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Andrew your garden is so beautiful. And a great collection of lovely broms of course. If the E. edulis is suffering try a E. edulis orange crownshaft. They are from Argentina and very cold tolerant.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Andrew, what a beautiful collection....well, a hard act to follow ( :) ), but here is my o so humble offering....... pic 1 is some Neo Fireball mounted on a limb over one of the ponds, and 2 is of Aec. Mend and Neo Lamberts pride.

post-110-1253400786_thumb.jpg

post-110-1253400902_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

...and these.... lots of Neo's, a cross of Hohenbergia and Aechmia in the backround with a Billy (bilbergia) mounted in an Archo Alex........ and a Vrisia species from Brazil mounted in a Foxtail......

post-110-1253401042_thumb.jpg

post-110-1253401088_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

...and last, a Neo Sunkist, and some pretty Vrisias in flower.......i am very late appreciating broms, but they really perk up the palm collection......guess it helps that i work for a brom and orchid retailer.......

post-110-1253401645_thumb.jpg

post-110-1253401712_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

• 2 weeks later...

This one is Neoreglia 'purple heart'. This is one of my favorites. Really wide leaves and a tight compact form.

They are prolific producers of pups too.

post-1017-1254394203_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I like the large species Aechmea as well as Hohenbergia .

Pictured here is Hohenbergia catingeae var. eximbricata .

post-354-1254400641_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

This is one of the Aechmea disticantha var. Many of these are very cold hardy , I have seen a few coming from sellers in Victoria . This is flowering now and very impressive .

post-354-1254401005_thumb.jpg

Infl. is out much further now , will get a pic in the mornin' .

Other is Orthophytum disjunctum , sadly one of the spp. that does not get pups on the infloresence like some others I grow.

post-354-1254402219_thumb.jpg

post-354-1254402239_thumb.jpg

Planted 2 varieties in 2 big bowls.

This one is a kind of Aechmea I guess. Not sure which cultivar.

Those big bowls are wonderful -- are they glazed ceramic? I think that's Aechmea nudicaulis albo-marginata, looks nice in a mass planting like that. Those neos really thrive in your climate, such perfect form!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim -Thanks for the aechmea ID

the big bowls are just made of concrete so are relatively cheap considering their size. They use to be "mini fish ponds" but I've punched holes in most of them to use as post for specimen plants. They do keep things nice and neat and separated.

As for growing the broms nicely - you just have to position them in a location where the get even sun exposure on all sides-- so that means away from walls or trees. And the next thing is NEVER move them -- they have their own internal gyrosope and they orient the positioning of their leaves by this. Don't move them for about a year ( that is harder than it sounds) and they should develop that perfect form you are looking for. Be sure to use heavy pots so they don't tip over.

Some varieties should be cold tolerant enough for SoCal. Over here neoregelias actuall develope more intense colors in cooler areas

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

There are some nice bromeliads there. I used to collect a lot of bromeliads, especially when I lived in São Paulo in the early 90s. Many of them I took to Florida in 1996 when I moved back there. And, only a few found there way back to Brazil. This one is from a parent that I collected on the coast of Sao Paulo around 1992. I have a few of them growing at our country place. Also, in the mountains of Sao Paulo where the temperature gets down to 0 C there are plenty of bromeliads growing in habitat on the trees. So, if you looked for these they would all work where it is colder. I used to have some nice vriesias from there.

dk

post-188-1254448349_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Now fully open this Aechmea disticantha var. disticantha should be very cold hardy .

post-354-1254786304_thumb.jpg

Don,

I have some of those you brought back to the states in my garden. Amazing how things get around.

post-900-1254836036_thumb.jpg

Here are some A. blancettianas under one of my coconut palms. They get full western sun exposure, withstood frost 3 times last year, and still look beautiful. They just glow.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL