• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

need an ID on a spiny purple bromeliad

JD in the OC

We have a few clumps of these growing in our area here in SW Florida. They produce orange fruit about 1 inch in diameter and grow to about 4 feet wide by 3 feet tall. They are reddish/purple in full sun.

It is definitely in the Bromelia genus, but what species? Any brom experts out there??

DSCN5592.jpg

DSCN5595.jpg

DSCN5596.jpg

JD, are you sure that isn't a Dyckia? I have one called 'Cherry Coke' that is quite similar vegetatively (but it has not flowered, so I don't know what the flower looks like).

Jody

FRITO: Ya, I saw that same picture. Now that I've looked through all the Bromelia species I think Gonzer is spot on with his ID. Jody, this bromeliad is 4 feet wide by 3 feet tall- I don't think Dyckia get that large but I could be wrong. I am fairly certain it's Bromelia antiacantha ("anti" meaning against; "acantha" meaning spines or thorns, much like Trithrinax acanthocoma). This is probably the most deadly bromeliad I have come across.

I would not want to weed around thaT plant .. :rage:

Several good pups and plenty of seeds on that one so easily propagated .

Some Bromelias have very insidious veeerrrrrryyyyyy long stolons that will just take over .

SO BE WARNED ... :angry: These are often used as living barbed wire fences in Brazil.

And will nearly halt a wild pig , and will definitely stop a mildly angry chook :rolleyes:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, I have no idea what a "chook" is, but I have seen similar living fences in Honduras (see below), and I would have to think that they would stop pretty much any living being with a single brain cell! 'Vicious' is an understatement! I don't know if the species involved was Bromelia sp., but now that I think about it, they probably were.

dscn0174.jpg

dscn0177.jpg

Jody

Bromelia pinguin is common in old plantings in FL. This one is one that rapidly spreads by stolons and makes an inpenetrable mass if not controlled. It is also indestructible; sun or shade, drought tolerant and very cold tolerant.

Dyckia 'Cherry Cola' looks similar but has the reddish foliage and doesn't grow as large. Also, has a much skinnier, less spectacular inflorescence

img_2904.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

When I first became interested in bromeliads I bought some of these Bromelia species. Boy was that a mistake! They are deadly! And it took me forever to get rid of them. Someone in our local club wanted them and I told him he had to come and get them. I finally got rid of all of them. I have some Dyckias but keep them in bowls or pots so they can't hurt me too much!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Jody,

Very nice pictures, living barbed wire fence sounds about right to me!!!

The largest clump i have found here locally was planted at the edge of a beach property and was about 40 feet by 10 feet deep. Will definitely keep out any living thing from tresspassing!!

I am looking to fill a bed (approx. 20' x 3') right in front of my living room windows with something that will deter any would-be thiefs from trying to enter. Bromelia seems like a good choice. Does anyone know of any species that are a bit smaller (around 2-2.5' OA) but equally viscious and adaptable? And if so, where might I get some in south Florida?

Jody

Dyckia 'Cherry Cola' looks similar but has the reddish foliage and doesn't grow as large. Also, has a much skinnier, less spectacular inflorescence

Eric, you forgot to mention that it is also VERY slow growing (at least here in my yard). My plant has been in the ground for several years and is still no more than 2.5' across.

dyckiacherrycoke1.jpg

Jody

Try Bromelia humilis, its much smaller, maybe 1ft but gets the red center when it flowers.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Jody,

If you do want to try some of ours, we can supply enough for a 20 x 3' planter. PM me to talk about price, etc.

JD