• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Gileno and his fabulous palm collection on brazilian TV

Alberto

Gilenos palm colection was shown on Globo TV report last saturday and here's the weblink for the presented video

Take a look:

http://pe360graus.globo.com/videos/cidades...DO-INTEIRO.aspx

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Congratulation Gileno, you have a very large and thorny collection!!!

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

Wow , great journal, and I understood ( almost ) everything. Good to see Gileno on film too. I didnt realise Gileno had been into palms for such a long time.

Alberto, when will you be on TV :mrlooney:

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Beautiful palms, cycads and location. Way to go, Gileno.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Gileno, Outstanding collection in a great spot! Thank you Alberto for bringing this to our attention!

What you look for is what is looking

Gileno,

Excellent coverage! Really enjoyed seeing you and all your palms even though my enjoyment was strictly visual. My Portuguese is a bit rusty... :(

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Go Gileno Go!!!

We have a star among us!!! Your place and garden is even more beautifull than i figured!

Thanks Alberto for sharing!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Parabéns Gileno! Eu só desejo meu português mais fui avançado então podia understan toda a entrevista.

(I'm congratulating him and telling him I wish my Portuguese was more advanced so that I could understand all of the interview.)

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Muito bem!

I just came home from my (absolute beginner) Portuguese class and found the link to this video. Que coincidência! Unfortunately I can now only pick out some words here and there, but the video is really interesting both for the palms and the Portuguese learning! And to see someone on the board. I'll probably come back and look at it many times.

Muito obrigado e parabéns! [Many thanks & congratulations!]

P.S. I hope you invited the interviewer to the biennial for a follow-up story. :winkie:

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Parabéns Gileno é bom ter uma celebridade do mundos das palmeiras entre nós. Eu gostei muito da reportagem. Espero poder conhecer pessoalmente a sua casa na praia um dia. E tambem apreciar um pouco de agua de coco gelado.

abraços , dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Gileno can I have your autograph ? Well just kidding it was cool to see a fellow palm grower in the news showing off what we love. I understood some of the words even though I cant speak Portuguese it was enough like Spanish to get a little understanding.

David

Gee.... Alberto and his big mouth.... :winkie:

Thank you all for your nice & gentle comments...Beatriz Castro, that famous Journalist, actually went to Sirinhaém in order to show the small Syagrus schizophylla (aricuriroba) colony we discovered in habitat near the beach and then she fell in love with our cultivated palms and cycads. The show is aimed to focus on ecology and preservation so I was glad to help the cause of our remaining small palms in habitat, so critically endangered. The program was shown on TV Globo (leading TV network in Brazil) for the Northeast region on saturday at lunch time so we had a great audience and many people has tried to contact me since then. Now it's been shown also on cable TV Globonews, nationwide...ouch...where's Dave's paper sac so I can hide from all this publicity? :lol:

Best regards

post-157-1256914965_thumb.jpg

post-157-1256915009_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno, It is so hard to start and maintain a garden. Good Luck on all of your efforts and congratulations for such a beautiful work of art. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Muito bem!

I just came home from my (absolute beginner) Portuguese class and found the link to this video. Que coincidência! Unfortunately I can now only pick out some words here and there, but the video is really interesting both for the palms and the Portuguese learning!

Tips from somebody who has recently learned portuguese

1. If you want to talk brazilian portuguese, DONT learn portuguese portuguese because its is different.

2. Very important to concentrate time on spoken portuguese or you will end up like me being able to read and write but cant understand anything people say, and they wont be able to understand your good but wrongly pronounced portuguese. After a year and a half still cant understand anything my girlfriend says. For somebody who speaks english the pronunciation is a HUGE problem.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Gileno, that is amazing! I could only understand some, thank god for Latin.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Gee.... Alberto and his big mouth.... :winkie:

Thank you all for your nice & gentle comments...Beatriz Castro, that famous Journalist, actually went to Sirinhaém in order to show the small Syagrus schizophylla (aricuriroba) colony we discovered in habitat near the beach and then she fell in love with our cultivated palms and cycads. The show is aimed to focus on ecology and preservation so I was glad to help the cause of our remaining small palms in habitat, so critically endangered. The program was shown on TV Globo (leading TV network in Brazil) for the Northeast region on saturday at lunch time so we had a great audience and many people has tried to contact me since then. Now it's been shown also on cable TV Globonews, nationwide...ouch...where's Dave's paper sac so I can hide from all this publicity? :lol:

Best regards

Gileno - thanks for your efforts for making people in your country more aware of the state of their native palms. Execellent job!

By the way, that journalist has some serious Ranch Hand potential! :rolleyes:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Muito bem!

I just came home from my (absolute beginner) Portuguese class and found the link to this video. Que coincidência! Unfortunately I can now only pick out some words here and there, but the video is really interesting both for the palms and the Portuguese learning!

1. If you want to talk brazilian portuguese, DONT learn portuguese portuguese because its is different.

2. Very important to concentrate time on spoken portuguese or you will end up like me being able to read and write but cant understand anything people say, and they wont be able to understand your good but wrongly pronounced portuguese. After a year and a half still cant understand anything my girlfriend says. For somebody who speaks english the pronunciation is a HUGE problem.

Very important for someone whose mother tongue is English/Dutch etc is to learn correctly the ´´nasal nouns´´: ã,ãe,ão.õe and also the nasal nouns in words like ´´cantar´´(to sing)´´banana´´(banana :mrlooney: ) in Portuguese.The ´pronunciation´of both words is ´cãntar´and´banãna´....... Nigel remembers my lessons.. :lol:

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Very important for someone whose mother tongue is English/Dutch etc is to learn correctly the ´´nasal nouns´´: ã,ãe,ão.õe and also the nasal nouns in words like ´´cantar´´(to sing)´´banana´´(banana :mrlooney: ) in Portuguese.The ´pronunciation´of both words is ´cãntar´and´banãna´....... Nigel remembers my lessons.. :lol:

Oh gawdddddd yes, Albertos lesson, wanted to scream. He says two different words that SOUND identical , an english speaker simply is not able to hear the difference , then expects you to pronounce these two `different` but identical words . Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My only consolation was that Albertos immigrant father has been in brasil 50 years and cant do it either.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Zebra! I understood Zebra!

Actually I picked up on some other things too! :D

Great Video, Gileno.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very enjoyable video Gileno, great collection you have there. Did you ask your interviewer if she wanted to stay and learn first hand.....about palms and such......you know.... ;)

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Oh gawdddddd yes, Albertos lesson, wanted to scream. He says two different words that SOUND identical , an english speaker simply is not able to hear the difference , then expects you to pronounce these two `different` but identical words . Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My only consolation was that Albertos immigrant father has been in brasil 50 years and cant do it either.

Nigel,

What words are the ones you are mentioning? I am trying to think of what might sound the same but isn´t. Maybe that is because they don´t sound the same to me. As to you not understanding your girl friend in Portuguese that is somewhat dangerous. It is always a danger when one doesn´t understand what women are saying. The thing I always noticed about learning a language is that your understanding goes through peaks and plateaus. That is you all of a sudden start to hear words that everyone has been saying all along. At least that is what always noticed. I get mixed up when I end up speaking Portuguese and Spanish at the same time in a conversation where both Portuguese and Spanish speakers are present.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Nigel,

What words are the ones you are mentioning? I am trying to think of what might sound the same but isn´t. Maybe that is because they don´t sound the same to me. As to you not understanding your girl friend in Portuguese that is somewhat dangerous. It is always a danger when one doesn´t understand what women are saying. The thing I always noticed about learning a language is that your understanding goes through peaks and plateaus. That is you all of a sudden start to hear words that everyone has been saying all along. At least that is what always noticed. I get mixed up when I end up speaking Portuguese and Spanish at the same time in a conversation where both Portuguese and Spanish speakers are present.

dk

I will let alberto explain about the o,s and o,s....... as to the danger of not understanding my girlfriend.... yes, big problem, but the soltaque is impossible.

Resident in Bristol UK.

I was very impressed with Gileno's "TV manner". An interview about palms and knowing some Spanish made it fun listening for me.

Muitíssimos parabéns Gileno!

Acho que o programa saiu óptimo! Você e a equipa que o produziram fizeram um trabalho excelente salientando as espécies brasileiras ameaçadas. Gostei muito também ver a sua colecção. Espero que este programa inspire muito mais gente brasileira quanto à importância de apoiar meios e leis com o fim de proteger estas espécies e também para educar arquitectos paisagísticos e jardineiros que há mais variedade de palmeiras que (um dia) puderem utilizar! Fico muito feliz por você e que o programa foi bem recebido, até no canal Globo!! :D

Muito bem!

I agree with Nigel! Pick which Portuguese you wish to learn ahead of time because sometimes they seem like different languages when it comes to speaking and understanding Continental/'Lusophone' Portuguese vs. Brazilian Portuguese. The «sotaque» a.k.a. accent can be quite different. During my first few weeks in Portugal (after taking classes from Brazilian teachers in the US) I had nearly convinced myself that Portuguese folks I met in Lisbon were speaking a bizarre mix of French and Russian, because I could hardly pick a word out and it sounded so different than that smooth Brazilian sound. :lol: Haha! Eventually I caught on. I have a hard time with the more casual and informal incarnations of Brazilian Portuguese mostly because of the sheer volume of slang and word usage that is uniquely Brazilian (calão, gíria, etc.) However Gileno's fantastic program was easy to understand because it was more 'formalized(?)' for television :)

Not to belabour the point but I took a college Portuguese class for an 'easy A' grade (oh the shame! :unsure: ) after returning to the US after a few years in Portugal and Cape Verde but the text and the teacher were both Brazilian and I unwittingly drove that poor teacher insane. Any time she detected that other students were picking up on my accent etc., she would admonish them by commanding them not to speak as I did and ignore me! Also she wasn't aware of some of differing grammar and spelling rules between the two countries, so I would invariably contest test scores when she graded me incorrect for correct Continental usage. It made for an uncomfortable course and I really had to fight for that 'easy A' grade.

I guess this does not have much to do with palms. But, in my view the difference between Portuguese from Portugal and from Brazil is quite similar to that of the USA and England. Or for that matter Spain and the Americas. Now if you want to dive into the heart of Brazilian Portuguese you should study the Cearense Dictionary ,, Dicionario Cearense which is quite used here in Amazonas due to the large influence of immigrants from Ceara. Then there is the local Cabolquese Portuguese spoken by the riberinhos in Amazonas. And, to eat here you need to know how to eat with a spoon as if it were a fork and a knife. There are many expressions and ways of speaking specific to Manaus and Amazonas not used in the rest of Brazil. This site has a few, Portugues amazonense. Then there is the fact that the caboclo, Amazonian person, tends to conjugate Portuguese incorrectly as well. Not so much folks from the capital, but from the interior. Here a mosquito is not a pernilongo as it is called elsewhere, here it is a carapnã. A stream is not a córrego, it is an igarapé. Brazil is a big country and from one end to the other there are a lot of differences.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks for the Portuguese-learning tips! This is a fascinating discussion. I'm studying from a Brazilian Portuguese book/CD, and even there you hear some variation in pronunciation! (like 'nós' ['we']--one speaker says something like 'nois' and another 'nos'). A beginning learner wonders which one to imitate, and what is from where!

I have a hard time with the more casual and informal incarnations of Brazilian Portuguese mostly because of the sheer volume of slang and word usage that is uniquely Brazilian (calão, gíria, etc.) However Gileno's fantastic program was easy to understand because it was more 'formalized(?)' for television :)

Exactly ! Without trying to sound snobbish, after a year here I am able to have a good conversation with a Brazilian lucky enough to have benefited from a good education. Trying to have an education with a street vendor or the guy who works in the local petrol station for example.... forget it ... the volume of slang and level of sotaque make it an impossibility. Actually it is hard to imagine it is the same language.

Actually Don is probably right, compare the english of a poor person living in the poorest area of New York with somebody from a rich part of Britain and the language difference would be immense.

Mark, I dont know if you have any brazilian satellite TV stations available in the USa but this helped me more than anything.

Edited by Nigel

Resident in Bristol UK.

I´m glad to hear Gileno asking for protection of the native endangered palms and for a kind of ´´parceria´´ with some Institute to make a Botanical Garden that can be used for educational purposes, Botanical knowledge,Science , lanscaping , aesthetics purposes....Congratulations again!!!!

Nigel couldn´t hear the difference between ´his´ pronunciation of words that ends with the letter ´´O´´. For example: ´´louco``(mad) and he would say``LOUCOU``(Correct pronunciation is the first ´´OU´´ (like in ``GO´´)and the last´´O`´ is a ´´Ô´´ (without the U sound at the end, this ´´O´´sound is a short ´´O``similar to the ´´O´´ in´´´don´t))

He could not hear the difference between a``O`` and a ``OU``because that ``O`` sound at the end of Engliash words are always a OU (like in ´´go´´) or the `´O´´ is a ``U`` (like in``do``) or it has the sound of ``Ó`` (like in ´´not´´) but never the sound of``Ô``that I was trying to teach him.... :lol:

So there is big difference between : `´O menino´´(The boy) and ´´Ou menino`´(Or boy) and you must not pronunciate ``O´´like the ´´o´´in´´go´´because that is the pronunciation of the word `´Ou´´

Edited by Alberto

Wow Gileno! Congratulations! (Tu não precisas de um jardineiro? rss) I'm happy to see you and your palms on "TV". Is Palha branca Polyandrococos caudescens?

I saw Syagrus schyzophylla when I was in Aracaju, they are very hardy to cold in Rio Grande do Sul!

Best regard

Edited by kelen

Awesome job Gileno!

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Nice description Alberto!

Put another way, I think what you're describing is the difference between the diphthong 'O' and the pure vowel or monophthong 'O'. A 'diphthong' is a vowel that starts with the tongue in one position, and moves to another. A lot of vowels in English are spoken as diphthongs: for 'O', we start with the 'O' sound and move to the 'U' sound. This usually presents a problem for English speakers learning say, French or Spanish, which pronounce a pure 'O', without moving to the 'U' position.

In Portuguese, it looks like you have both a diphthong 'O' and pure (or 'monophthong') 'O'. (In your example, the word 'louco' contains first the dipthong 'O' and then the pure 'O', correct?)

Put another way, I think what you're describing is the difference between the diphthong 'O' and the pure vowel or monophthong 'O'. A 'diphthong' is a vowel that starts with the tongue in one position, and moves to another. A lot of vowels in English are spoken as diphthongs: for 'O', we start with the 'O' sound and move to the 'U' sound. This usually presents a problem for English speakers learning say, French or Spanish, which pronounce a pure 'O', without moving to the 'U' position.

In Portuguese, it looks like you have both a diphthong 'O' and pure (or 'monophthong') 'O'. (In your example, the word 'louco' contains first the dipthong 'O' and then the pure 'O', correct?)

Exactly!!! I could not explain it better then you did!!!

Well that certainly explains it well........ doesnt help me much though because I still cannot differentiate in conversation !!! They sound the same to me.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Well that certainly explains it well........ doesnt help me much though because I still cannot differentiate in conversation !!! They sound the same to me.

I can't say this for sure, not knowing Portuguese, but what happens in many languages is that differences like this disappear in normal rapid speech. For example, if you ask a native English speaker to say clearly and by itself the word 'photograph', the speaker might say 'pho-to-graph', with the 1st and 2nd syllables rhyming. In normal speech, however, the 'o' in the unstressed middle syllable will be pronounced sort of like 'uh'. It might be the case that the 'ou' in 'louco' becomes more like 'o' in rapid regular speech. (Can't say, just guessing at why it might be difficult to hear in conversation!)

.................. It might be the case that the 'ou' in 'louco' becomes more like 'o' in rapid regular speech. (Can't say, just guessing at why it might be difficult to hear in conversation!)

You are right! In normal conversation the two ´´o´´ have a similar sound and will be pronunciated like ´´loco´´so as the same spanish word. But the word ´´Ou´´(=Or) will always have the pronunciation different from´´O´´ (=The)

To stay´´on topic´´speaking of palms: ´´Coco´´ is the fruit from Cocus nucifera and ´´cocô´´(popular) what remains from a eaten coco etc after evacuating it :lol:

Let ´s stop hijacking this thread :)

Gileno where (which State) are S.schyzophilla more common,since they are rare in Pernambuco?

Edited by Alberto

But the word ´´Ou´´(=Or) will always have the pronunciation different from´´O´´ (=The)

To stay´´on topic´´speaking of palms: ´´Coco´´ is the fruit from Cocus nucifera and ´´cocô´´(popular) what remains from a eaten coco etc after evacuating it :lol:

Let ´s stop hijacking this thread :)

Yes lets stop hijacking this thread .... Albertou :mrlooney:

Resident in Bristol UK.