• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Baobab

bubba

You are lucky indeed. I don't think there are any baobabs in Sydney.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

There is an impressive one next to the post office in Darwin. It is in the heritage listed tree, so it won't be cut down ever... Everytime I go pass, I kept thinking that I should take photos, but I kept on forgetting to take the camera... It is absolutely magnificent...

Mine are still babies... I have A. digitata & A. gregorii.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That tree is so cool! I was really surprised when I saw it because I didnt realize that they could even grow here

but if anyone would have it, it would be Fairchild!!

A couple of years ago I happened to run across some in a field just North of South Beach in Miami - I will post a photo

if I can ever find it......

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

There is also the other big specimen at Fairchild over by the old gate house and the sping Madagascar forest area;

5032.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I don't have a picture but Ruth Sallenbach has one in her garden in West Palm Beach. It is a monster!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I love these trees!

Disney planted some at Animal Kingdom and this one at the Animal Kingdom Lodge;

f72c.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

and in Hollywod, FL, there are like 6 or 7 big ones growing in that big circular park near US1

eff6.jpg

b161.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

What's the hardiest Baobab? Can these be grown in my area?

A. digitata from mainland Africa is probably the hardiest and most common. There are 8 species; 1 from Africa, 1 from NW Australia and 6 native to Madagascar.

A digitata is a zone 9b/10a tree so you should be able to grow it just fine. There is a nice specimen of A. madagascariensis at Selby Gardens in Sarasota;

edc1.jpg

83a3.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

What's the hardiest Baobab? Can these be grown in my area?

A. digitata from mainland Africa is probably the hardiest and most common. There are 8 species; 1 from Africa, 1 from NW Australia and 6 native to Madagascar.

A digitata is a zone 9b/10a tree so you should be able to grow it just fine. There is a nice specimen of A. madagascariensis at Selby Gardens in Sarasota;

edc1.jpg

83a3.jpg

Thanks!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here is a big one from a park with a few growing north of South Beach in Miami - note the homeless man for size.

post-3381-1259344186_thumb.jpg

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

• 3 months later...

I've managed to germinate seeds from 2 species of Baobabs 2 years ago and now I have a few small plants. I've noticed that Adansonia grandidieri gets a seasonal complete defoliation and stays in dormancy for several months. Adansonia digitata, the other species I'm growing, already introduced in my town since a long time ago, seems to be an evergreen species in my climate.

Anyone else has any advice and tips for cultivating those beautiful trees?

post-157-12674959346241_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Adansonia digitata leaves (left);

Adansonia grandidieri (right):

post-157-12674961070667_thumb.jpg

post-157-12674961888747_thumb.jpg

I've also tried and actually germinated many seeds of Adansonia gregorii, from Australia, but they didn't like the excessive humidity once planted in pots and died. I guess I should have used a sandy mix for that species and keep the small seedlings in the dry side.

Here are both species together, under 70% shadecloth in the cycad area of our backyard:

post-157-12674965680584_thumb.jpg

post-157-1267496642535_thumb.jpg

Gileno, I grow A. gregorii too... I think you just have to make sure that the potting mix is well drained. Mine is in the ground now and doing very well. The humidity doesn't bother them, only if the mixture gets too wet, they tend to rot. I water them just as much as the others in the dry season and during the wet, they get whatever falls from the sky. I really have to take photos of the A. gregorii from the post office....

• Like 1

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I will try to remember to bring my camera....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gileno, I grow A. gregorii too... I think you just have to make sure that the potting mix is well drained. Mine is in the ground now and doing very well. The humidity doesn't bother them, only if the mixture gets too wet, they tend to rot. I water them just as much as the others in the dry season and during the wet, they get whatever falls from the sky. I really have to take photos of the A. gregorii from the post office....

Thank you Ari, it'll be nice to see the photo of your beloved A. gregorii at the post office sometime.

I got my A. gregorii seeds from Jay who lives in Perth. I miss his interesting posts here, mostly about Chamaedoreas. Ever since he's moved into his new house he hasn't posted here in Palmtalk, unfortunetly...

Adansonia digitata is not so common in Recife but there are several nicelooking mature fatties of the species around town, including one in front of the governor's palace, planted by Burle Marx over 60 years ago. I'll try to get a picture too.

I have posted these photos before, but I thought I might add them to this thread as well. This tree is growing in South Africa:

baobabjody.jpg

baobabflower2.jpg

baobabtrunk.jpg

baobabroot.jpg

Jody

When I was growing A digitata in a 30 gallon can, I really pushed it with water and fert in the summer time. It grows very fast 6 months of the year and nothing the rest, plus goes deciduous in winter. I pushed it too hard and the trunk split open so I had to back off. The split healed over the next year.

• Like 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

nice close-up shots,jody!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Finally... A. gregorii. Planted in the 1800's. It survived WW II, cyclone Tracy and development... Now the tree is protected and it is in the middle of a carpark. Beautiful and very impressive. I might take more photos in the dry season, when there is no leaf left on it...

post-512-12676147493291_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Very impressive trees. Anybody growing this in California anywhere or is it a no-go?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Very impressive trees. Anybody growing this in California anywhere or is it a no-go?

There is a fat trunked Baobab growing in the Ruth Bancroft garden in Walnut Creek which is about 3 blocks from where I live. It must be A. digatata, and they must be pretty cold hardy cause it gets cold here in the winter, usually mid 20's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

The only species I have or should I say that will squeeze into my garden is A.fony....Its still a baby.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

There is a fat trunked Baobab growing in the Ruth Bancroft garden in Walnut Creek which is about 3 blocks from where I live. It must be A. digatata, and they must be pretty cold hardy cause it gets cold here in the winter, usually mid 20's.

Dick

I guess you need a pretty large garden for one of these.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

They are pretty slow though... it will take a few years to get that big....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

In Australia these are called "Boab Trees", Adansonia gregorii. This species is native to the Kimberley District of Western Australia and the Victoria River District of the Northern Territory. Near Derby in WA there's a "Prison Boab Tree" that in the late 19th century was used by police as a temporary holding prison for prisoners on their way to Derby. It has an approximate 14 metres circumference.

The Derby Prison Boab Tree.

post-4226-12683204630177_thumb.jpg

They're in a monsoonal climate with a very distinct dry season. Many of them are growing in fairly waterlogged ground during the wet season. The most remarkable situation I've seen them in was on an alluvial flat edging onto mangrove flats along the Victoria River. They were just above tidal inundation, but during wet season floods would have been standing in water. These were younger trees, maybe to 4 or a bit more metres tall. They grow more in the valley floors than on the sides or tops of ridges.

I've got two small ones at home. They're very popular with grasshoppers and other browsers up to the size of cattle.

Boab, Victoria River District (Bullo River Station), Northern Territory.

post-4226-12683206297417_thumb.jpg

Found some of the photos of Boabs growing adjacent to mangrove flats. You can see the edges of the intertidal zone with some grasses (probably Pseudoraphis spinescens) and mangroves (predominantly Avicennia marina) in the background. The freshwater flats are some 4 or 5 sq kms in the area between the junction of the Victoria and Baines Rivers.

post-4226-12683568373983_thumb.jpg