• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cocos Requirements - Indoors

Ryland

I recently lost a Cocos nucifera that I was growing growing in a pot inside. It was at my mom's house in Oregon (I'm currently in a dorm and have NO room), and it grew very slowly, even with full sun.

I would like to try again soon, but I don't want to make the same mistakes as last time.

I think that perhaps the biggest problem for my coconut was temperature- in winter, to save money, my mom kept the house at 62 degrees around the clock. This is probably what took it out, despite the strong sun, right? I don't believe it was overwatered.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

I recently lost a Cocos nucifera that I was growing growing in a pot inside. It was at my mom's house in Oregon (I'm currently in a dorm and have NO room), and it grew very slowly, even with full sun.

I would like to try again soon, but I don't want to make the same mistakes as last time.

I think that perhaps the biggest problem for my coconut was temperature- in winter, to save money, my mom kept the house at 62 degrees around the clock. This is probably what took it out, despite the strong sun, right? I don't believe it was overwatered.

70F would have probably kept it ticking over. They won't photosynthesize at 62F.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well lit, well lit, well lit!

CoconutFreak.

Northern Sydney, Central Coast Region. Zone 10a.

Temperature Extremes: -4 to +43

Warm Oceanic Temperate/Humid Subtropical Climate.

33 Degrees South.

Loving Palms!!!

Thanks Tyrone. I figured the low house temperature was probably the main culprit.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I try it again - these are my new Cocos, I brought from the Maldives in April - a present from the gardener of the hotel :lol:

Nr. 1

14.04.2010:

DSC09216.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Nr. 2

DSC09217.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Cocos aren't houseplants.

They just aren't, because they need heat, humidity and breezes, not things homes (in so-called civilized places) are famous for.

That said:

GO FOR IT.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I know, Dave, but I hope thex will now grow - I had a big one, germinated from the nut at home

20080728-065721-201.jpg

- but it died after two years because of too cold in the wintergarden for some days during holydays. :drool: :drool:

Now I will be more careful! :winkie:

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Hello,

I've got one as a houseplant for about 7 years now. Growing like crazy (for dutch palm-standards) Every year I cut off about 4-5 leaves, leaving 3 on the plant, one year later it's all grown back again, with bigger leaves than the year before.

I have another one which I brought back as a nut from South america. That one seems to grow even better, now 3 years since I planted it in a pot.

And another one which i bought as a clean coconut at the supermarket, got it to germinate and has now about 4 leaves.

For me they do pretty well as living room plants, but I don't cut back on the heating. Also the air in my living room has a high humidity as a result of a large aquarium out of which 1,5 liters of water damps off every day. I think enough sunlight is the most important thing for a coconut, but air that is too dry or too cold will also finish it off quite fast! Certainly not one of the easiest palms to grow indoor...but well worth the effort!

In a nutshell, check if you can offer the coconut enough of the following:

-sunlight

-humidity

-temperature

Cheers,

kai

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

They have one growing indoors at the Orlando airport. I am wondering if one would do well indoors at my home in an atrium. My parents never let the house get colder than 75 (my dad is from India :rolleyes: ) and there are other plants around so it would have higher humidity. I really just want a dwarf one as a pollen source, I have no beliefs that it would survive outdoors here or ever look great.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)