• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha utan (macropoda) seeds finally germinating

Jeff in St Pete

Back in the Fall of 2008 I received a small packet of seeds from Kris labeled C. macropoda. I originally tried to germinate them by using a plastic container with the seeds sitting in moistened coco fiber. The seeds remained in the container for over a year with no signs of germination. After a year I was ready to toss them but at the last minute I decided to stick them in this one gallon pot which I left outside and promptly forgot about.

Today I cleaned out all the leaves that had accumulated inside the pot and found two seeds germinating! A year and a half from the time I received them. Thanks Kris!!! This is very exciting!

post-747-12693704827137_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Way to go, Jeff! Kris sent me seeds in November and I put them on top of the refridgerator! I have several that have germinated, sporadically, and a couple still yet to go. They will be beautiful palms. Good luck, Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Jeff - you must feel like...post-1729-12693811810994_thumb.jpg

or the California way. post-1729-12693812527563_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Careful how you handle them, they're very sensitive to root disturbance. I had 2 germinate so I put them into larger pots and they died. The others are still dormant, some 9 months after planting them. If they germinate I'm going to be much more careful.

Thanks Peter. Good luck with yours too!

Jason, they are huge palms. The photo below is a young Corypha growing here in Costa Rica.

Moose, I danced a happy jig when I saw they had germinated. Is that was Bill is doing? Why is he always in strange positions in every photo I see?

tropicbreeze, thanks for the heads up! I will be very careful when potting them up.

post-747-12694040506431_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Jason, they are huge palms. The photo below is a young Corypha growing here in Costa Rica.

Moose, I danced a happy jig when I saw they had germinated. Is that was Bill is doing? Why is he always in strange positions in every photo I see?

tropicbreeze, thanks for the heads up! I will be very careful when potting them up.

As we say here in the islands: "Das one beeg mutter" :drool: Can't wait till mine looks like that in say 30 more years. Gee wonder if my eyes will still work in 30 more years or even if I'll still be alive. :(

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Jeff:

Expletive, expletive, expletively expletive o'expletive, big, dang expletive.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jeff:

Expletive, expletive, expletively expletive o'expletive, big, dang expletive.

OK Dave I germed one up, I have no room for it but you do? What do you say. Maybe I will save it for my sons Eagle project. I am trying to talk him into doing some landscape project.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

As we say here in the islands: "Das one beeg mutter" :drool: Can't wait till mine looks like that in say 30 more years. Gee wonder if my eyes will still work in 30 more years or even if I'll still be alive. :(

If you are alive you wont be able to miss it will you :floor: Man that's huge

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Dear Jeff :)

Very glad they made it ! :greenthumb: And indeed you have lots of patience....:winkie: And your still of the corypha simply rocks...And made my head spin Ga ga..:yay:

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Jeff - you want me to explain what Bill is doing? How in the hell would I know, he is Bill! huh.gif

Here BS Man about Palms is in your country during the Biennel - explain to me what he is doing here? wacko.gif

post-1729-12694458142517_thumb.jpg

post-1729-12694458622555_thumb.jpg

Moose, I do like Corypha! I see you found a Biennial photo, seems like that was just yesterday... I can't believe it has been almost two years.

I have no clue what Bill is doing. I didn't hang out by the hot tub, so I missed his shenanigans.

Bill? What were you DOING?

If you like Corypha utan then seeing at least the intro to the film "Ten Canoes" is a must. Absolutely spectacular.

• Upvote 1

Moose, I do like Corypha! I see you found a Biennial photo, seems like that was just yesterday... I can't believe it has been almost two years.

I have no clue what Bill is doing. I didn't hang out by the hot tub, so I missed his shenanigans.

Bill? What were you DOING?

Jeff - I gotta say that Bill's possible explanation has got my interest tweaked. blush.gif Bill are you ignoring this inquiry? Could these images be that of the BS Man about Palms ranch hand attraction technique? rolleyes.gif

• 2 years later...

Hi Jeff, here is a recent picture of one of mine that germinated right before yours. I put it in the back of the property where it'll have lots of room, but after seeing some posts, especially #6, I hope I made the right decision! It's about three and a half feet tall. How are yours now? Peter

post-2997-0-61885600-1345587310_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

AMAZING PALM!!! Huge is the right word. Hmm, where do i have enough room... NOWHERE!!! Those pics of the full grown ones are the size of my front yard!

That's why we guerilla planted ours across the street and down the hill so we could watch it grow without giving up space on our property. Maybe the owner will cut it down eventually (as is their right) but it's not really usable land except for an eventually huge palm or two.... If we can afford later to buy more land we'll plant some we can claim as our own!

Cindy Adair

Jeff - post #4 is Bill doing the jig in Mike Harris' garden on his last visit here to sunny South Florida. :)

Hi Peter, yours is looking great! I haven't planted mine yet so they are still in pots with only strap leaves. Last year one of my friends bought a bunch of palms from me to plant on his property around his new house. He ended up with one of my three Corypha macropoda and he immediately planted it in the ground. I saw it a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how much it has grown compared to mine sitting in pots.