• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona victoriae

tropicbreeze

While looking back through my photos for something I came across these of Livistona victoriae. Thought perhaps some people here might be interested in seeing the palms in habitat. They were taken about 5 years ago while TC Ingrid was passing close by, hence the overcast conditions.

post-4226-12702667706284_thumb.jpg

All these photos are from Stokes Range.

post-4226-12702668804417_thumb.jpg

A spot I called "Three Palms". We were just using compass and topographic maps for the 10 day walk. On the way back I recognised these three after we'd looped around a bit and got back to the same spot on the way back.

post-4226-12702669408485_thumb.jpg

post-4226-1270267042424_thumb.jpg

post-4226-1270267132135_thumb.jpg

post-4226-12702672065023_thumb.jpg

If you can pick out the people in some of these photos it gives a perspective of size.

post-4226-12702672977593_thumb.jpg

A lot were growing in the very wet (wet season) valley floors.

post-4226-12702673775584_thumb.jpg

Young plant at base of cliffs.

post-4226-12702674509455_thumb.jpg

Palms at the edge of the cliff tops, on the face of the cliffs, on the scree slopes, and on the valley floor below.

post-4226-12702674942051_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Tropicbreeze

Australian fan palms are fantastic to see in habitat, your pictures prove it again

thanks for the pictures

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Great photos of spectacular palms and scenery!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Unmatched, unbridled, under the southern cross. Like Les Hoagies, dare you ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I don´t really like fan palms but a group like this in the nature really is a statement. Nice one! jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Beautiful part of the country, were the palms throughout the valley or just at the top end of the valley? Had a good look on Google earth, magnificent country. Have traveled along the Victoria highway but not to Stokes Range. Would love to get back up the top end.

Regards

Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Good photography skills... beautiful palms and country side! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Awesome! Reminds me of when we were there last year.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Colin & Daryl, I love the habitat as much as I love the palms.

Wal, "Les Hoagies"? You've got me stumped!

Jason, you'd have to like Licualas.

Stephen, you'd have seen Stokes Range when you drove past the Victoria River Inn. Heading west you cross the Vic River and then pass the Inn. The range on the left is it. You then drive with the foot of the range on your left and the river on your right. Once you've walked a few days away from the road you're in really spectacular country. Those palms seemed to be all over, but not along the Vic River. Don't know their exact range. Later I did a 10 day walk north west of there in the Pinkerton Range and Bullo River Station. Don't recall seeing a single palm there, plenty of Boabs though.

Exotic Life, glad you liked them.

JV, thanks.

elHoagie, there's so much there besides the palms, a real experience.

Wal, "Les Hoagies"? You've got me stumped!

Hi, there's this dude and his wife and they visited this country and saw some palms and they are known as the Hoagies after Hoagie Carmichael or something, I don't know, look, how about one of the Californians explaining this please. Jack actually posted something in this thread, that's a big clue.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 4 years later...

I finally found what makes my potted specimen of this happy. Place it in the most insanely hot sun drenched area I can muster here on the coast. From looking near dead 9 months ago looks great now.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cool pics! Yeah, these need heat to grow.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Considering my go to operation was to see if the spear was gonna pull for the first few months of this year, I think this looks better.

post-27-0-55769800-1413860542_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Better, but it still needs some more time in the oven. Don't you have an old car windshield you can put over it?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I'd love to see if anybody has a nice one in cultivation. Any pics?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!