• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

wallichia disticha

Mike Evans

I have a few wallichia disticha in the garden. The oldest is ~10 years old & flowered last year w/o producing any viable seed. After this record cold winter in St Pete, FL, it has sent out 3 more inflorescence. Hopefully it will be pollinated this time. Has anyone else had experience w/ multiple flowering & produced seed with the later inflorescence?

Last pic is a smaller one that is starting to produce 2 inflorescence. It is much smaller, younger & shade grown. The cold has really started them up. How many times do they flower before the final breath?

post-112-12720636038269_thumb.jpg

post-112-12720636459816_thumb.jpg

post-112-1272063821294_thumb.jpg

Few more pics of the larger Mama. They are monoecious, so what gives? Anyone w/ their secrets?

post-112-12720641828606_thumb.jpg

post-112-12720642240541_thumb.jpg

Mike, I do not know for sure but they may flower down the trunk (starting from the top and at each leaf) for a few years like my Arenga engleri has for three years now.

Hey Mike, according to PACSOA they flower for 4-5 years before dying.

I planted my first one last year and it has doubled in size already. I can't wait until it gets bigger.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

We have 2 specimens that have been flowering the last couple years but neither have set any seed yet.

img_0932.jpg

img_0940.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We have 2 specimens that have been flowering the last couple years but neither have set any seed yet.

That does not sound too encouraging Eric. I will post some pics as the flowers develop & hopefully will end up w/ some seed. Theses are very unique palms, that always have people asking "what is that?".

We had a big Arenga pinnata flower years ago and it never set one seed, same with a couple mature W. densiflora. But several A. engleri have been flowering and they set seed heavily. Also 50ft Caryota ochlandra has just started flowering hopefuly it will set seed. A nearby C. gigas is holding some seed.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Look what came out. The female inflorescence. I should have known. Just like the W. densiflora, there are 2 separate male/female inflorescence. Hope I have better luck pollinating than the W. densiflora. I pour gallons of pollen over these female flowers & never any seed.

Ahh, looks like a pollinator maybe trying to do some work, whatever that thing is. Last pic.

post-112-12727943993838_thumb.jpg

post-112-12727944327899_thumb.jpg

post-112-12727945201957_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Neat stuff Mike. It's a hardier palm than I would have imagined having survived last winter's blast.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

What happened??? Nothing! Just like the W. desiflora. The male flowers come out very early & the female flowers come out late. I watched the female flowers & it seems like they never developed enough to pollinate. There is always this year. It seems like they flower several years in a row, before taking the big dive.