• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

extremely lush and green Syagrus romanzoffiana

Eric in Orlando

This Queen Palm, Syagrus romanzoffiana, is growing near my girlfriends' house. It is one of the greenest and lush specimens I have seen. Finally stopped and got photos of it

img_3697.jpg

img_3698.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That is a beautiful example of a palm that is typically abused in commonplace landscaping. April and I were out for a walk recently and noticed an exemplary individual of this same species. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice Eric, I wish I could get mine to hang onto that many fronds.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Beautiful palm. Kudos to the owner who must take excellent care of it and doesn't overtrim it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's gorgeous. Over trimmed queens are aweful looking. This is a fine example of how good a queen can look with good care and good genes too. I've never seen one hold so many fronds before! :drool:

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

That's a beauty Eric! Maybe there's a leak under that fire hydrant? :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I used to see quite a few specimens like this prior to the 12/89 freeze that wiped out most of the queen palms in central FL. Now you don't see many growing like this, even very healthy well cared for specimens. Some of the reason for the lushness is good care but some must be genetics. The queens that have been replanted after 12/89 must have come from other strains.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

VERY Nice photographs!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Said it before and will say it again, a well grown and cared for rommie is a beautiful sight. That one is particularly gorgeous. I cried when I had to get some of mine removed from here recently. Those that remain are getting more love and care than any other palm in the place to assuage my guilty conscience.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Now THAT is one GORGEOUS Syagrus Rom! That to me is how they all SHOULD look, but sadly, many of them do not even come close. I see so many S. Roms that are over pruned, sickly, half dead, and have Frizzle top. My friend in St. Pete as one in his front yard, and it is fairly nice looking but no where NEAR that one! There are a few across the street from his place that have frizzle top, and one that is about 20 feet tall but has like 1-2 foot fronds. It literally looks like someone planted a miniature queen on top of an adult trunk. It looks silly. I suspect it will be dead on my next visit down there.

Here are a couple photos of the one in my friends front yard.

Sept 2009:

IMG_0865.jpg

Late Feb 2010, after the big freeze. It came through unscathed.

IMG_1469.jpg

• Upvote 1

If this palm were rare, everyone would be chomping at the bit for seeds. That is a great looking specimen but mine is just as beautiful. No palm snobbery here.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Very beautiful, by itself in a perfect spot.

Can't ask for anything more.

Except to cross it with a coconut . . . . :lol:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

No snobbery from me. I like Queen Palms, healthy ones !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That's a monster of a queen. I personally prefer the ones with shorter and wider leaflets and upright growth, though. It's better for mowing the lawn, too :mrlooney:

Cape Town, Table View

1km from the Atlantic Ocean

Lat: -33.8541, Lon: 18.4888

Mild summers between 17-30 and wet winters 6-20 degree celcius

Average rainfall 500mm

Yep, I agree it is beautiful!!

It's always nice to see someone doing something right with a queen palm vs. what most people do with them :sick:

That photo is almost reminiscent of a Elaeis guineensis.

Thanks for sharing

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Where exactly is that palm, Eric?

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Eric, never met a queen I liked until now. got several potted, errrr bagged queens that I hesitate to plant in the garden because I can't decide where to hide them. I really should give them a chance. I have been planting a whole lot of Copernicia prunifera in one corner of the garden. A queen should be on at least an equal footing. :hmm:

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

stunning....best I have ever seen. :blink:

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

That small "sucker" is another queen.

-Michael

I guess I really meant "what's with that small palm..."

A couple possible explanations:

1. The owner(s) wanted it there, so planted it intentionally :hmm:
  2. It germinated from a seed of the existing palm and was too close to the parent to get whacked by the lawnmower.

Number two would seem to indicate the palm is NOT receiving much attention (since the germinating palm would probably have been removed). So, outstanding care wouldn't seem to be the reason for this queen's lushness and beauty.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

I guess there are reasons why queens are so common, even though palm snobs turn their noses up at them.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Where exactly is that palm, Eric?

Its in Altamonte Springs, off 436 just west of I-4. There is a traffic light at Weathersfield and it is just a couple blocks south of 436/Weathersfield, there is a Best Buy at this intersection.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

A well-grown queen is a beautiful thing. :greenthumb:

What's that small palm growing sucker-like immediately next to it?

Its a young queen palm growing right at the base. Adjacent to these queen palms are a grouping of Butia capitata. It would be interesting to see what the hybrid would look like with that queen as the pollen donor.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a