• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A difficult day in paradise (a palm nursery)

peachy

It began badly. Very badly. I had taken a pretty palm to be identified by that cute and clever chappie at the palm nursery. After a very cursory glance, he announced it was only a carpentaria.(dont you dare say it Ari) . My dream of it being a rare chamaedorea or pinanga now shattered, I settled down to the serious business of buying palms. A family arrived. Unleashed their horrendous children who promptly started shrieking and sprinting all around the place, knocking palms flying and breaking fronds and generally wreaking havoc. After nearly sending me flying and no reprimands from the alleged parents , I asked them to desist. No effect. Then I TOLD them to desist, using my best Bea Arthur voice and evil looks. That worked. A couple of hundred dollars later, Tojo's Revenge crammed to the gunwhales as usual with rare and delicious bargains, I set off for home. Driving and peering through palm fronds being hard work, I pulled over in a trendy spot for something devourable, spotted a fish and chip shop. Humble fare I know, but being ever budget conscious I thought that would do. Wrong again. $25 for a piece of fish and a handful of chips and a small bottle of cola !! More than I paid for my new Calyptrocalyx forbesii ! After such a shock I needed a restorative drop of sherry. Not being a public house person, I went to the drive through, grabbed a bottle of the neccessary, then realised I had no glass to drink it from. Now I must confess to considering leaving it in the bag, crouching down under the dashboard and swigging from the bottle, but the thought of passers-by thinking I was some kind of well dressed wino was too daunting. Eventually I figured out that the metal cap would do as a drinking utensil, and did so accordingly. Thus restored I drove home trying to savour my pretentiously priced snack and contemplating where to plant my huge new Linospadix monostachya, a big Euterpe edulis orange crownshaft, Calyptronoma occidentalis and sundry items. A trying day but the results speak for themselves.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

What can I say Peachy, sounds like a great day all up :lol::lol:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Hhmm.... everyone is shopping but me :(. BTW, peachy... why are you buying calyptrocalyx again??? Did you make sure that it won't clump this time? :huh:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It began badly. Very badly. I had taken a pretty palm to be identified by that cute and clever chappie at the palm nursery. After a very cursory glance, he announced it was only a carpentaria.(dont you dare say it Ari) . My dream of it being a rare chamaedorea or pinanga now shattered, I settled down to the serious business of buying palms. A family arrived. Unleashed their horrendous children who promptly started shrieking and sprinting all around the place, knocking palms flying and breaking fronds and generally wreaking havoc. After nearly sending me flying and no reprimands from the alleged parents , I asked them to desist. No effect. Then I TOLD them to desist, using my best Bea Arthur voice and evil looks. That worked. A couple of hundred dollars later, Tojo's Revenge crammed to the gunwhales as usual with rare and delicious bargains, I set off for home. Driving and peering through palm fronds being hard work, I pulled over in a trendy spot for something devourable, spotted a fish and chip shop. Humble fare I know, but being ever budget conscious I thought that would do. Wrong again. $25 for a piece of fish and a handful of chips and a small bottle of cola !! More than I paid for my new Calyptrocalyx forbesii ! After such a shock I needed a restorative drop of sherry. Not being a public house person, I went to the drive through, grabbed a bottle of the neccessary, then realised I had no glass to drink it from. Now I must confess to considering leaving it in the bag, crouching down under the dashboard and swigging from the bottle, but the thought of passers-by thinking I was some kind of well dressed wino was too daunting. Eventually I figured out that the metal cap would do as a drinking utensil, and did so accordingly. Thus restored I drove home trying to savour my pretentiously priced snack and contemplating where to plant my huge new Linospadix monostachya, a big Euterpe edulis orange crownshaft, Calyptronoma occidentalis and sundry items. A trying day but the results speak for themselves.

Peachy

Oh, Oh, she's drinkin' and drivin'. Placing poor palms in danger. Bad Peachy :lol:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Peachy, Sounds like you got all fixed up. You got pics of the catch? Would love to see that Euterpe with the orange crown. I have a seedling with no color. Your bad day sounds like a majic day to me. :rolleyes:

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Peachy, Sounds like you got all fixed up. You got pics of the catch? Would love to see that Euterpe with the orange crown. I have a seedling with no color. Your bad day sounds like a majic day to me. :rolleyes:

I felt the same!

Those noisy and trouble kids were nothing, compared to that palm portfolio... :)

I hear you Peachy! Some parents like to let there kids "get it out of their system" so the ride home will be calm.

But they forget other people have to put up w/ their troubles, which is not other peoples responsbility, it is their own.

Shake it off sweetie, but seeing you bought some wine i am sure you soon forgot about the misbehaving brats!

Let's see some pics of the bounty!

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Poor Diddums! Watching those kid's antics didn't by chance remind you of Soylent Green and make you feel hungry? wink-1.gif

After having to cough up with 25 bux for a piece of fish and a handful of chips, throwing a few brats in my cauldron is quite a viable option.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy,

You got some nice plants! Pics would be nice.mrlooney.gif

I'd rather have those rug rats at a nursery over a nice restaurantrage.gif (been there!).

Randy

test

A ripping yarn to be sure....

Wasn't it WC Fields that said kids are best with "a little salt"? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Every outing with you is a great adventure with a good belly laugh. Thanks for taking us along for the vicarious journey. My question is the same as Ari's - did you buy the Calyptrocalyx just to give yourself something to add to your very discriminating compost heap later? :) May we see the orange Euterpe? Pretty please?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh Peachy! You poor dear, life can be so so cruel but yet so so great! At least you made it out of there alive and with some nice palms. Your adventure story was great. :floor:

Next time you go out shopping bring your Harry Potter wand and turn those kids into toads, or let them have it and play with it, that should keep them entertained.

Love to see the new Linospadix monostachya, :wub:

Edited by Palm crazy

Great report Peach!

I promise to comment if you post a couple of pics for your fans!

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Great story, Peachy!

You should have steered those ankle-biters towards the Zombias, or taken the opportunity to show and have them clean some Arenga seeds for you. THAT would have kept them busy. The possibilities are limitless! I sympathize....

Lucky you- I would have loved the opportunity to get a Linospadix or two. they're hard to get out here and I'm always looking for seed or otherwise.

25 bucks for lunch IS outrageous, though. I figure if you're going to get taken for that much for lunch you at least owe it to yourself to get a "treat"

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

:( Thought for sure I would be looking at those pics right now Peachy, or are you still working on a recipe for stir fried brats?

Enjoyed your dissertation. Be sure to pick up your certificate of tolerance for the day. :rolleyes:

Edited by hanapalms

William

Hana, Maui

Visit my palms here

I love your narration Peachy, and a few photographs thrown in would be even better. All the best with your new acquisitions!!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Hhmm.... everyone is shopping but me :(. BTW, peachy... why are you buying calyptrocalyx again??? Did you make sure that it won't clump this time? :huh:

Ari, I'm not buying anything either. Too cold and I have pretty much everything the local palm nurseries have that is interesting. I just seem to be buying plants for others. Sigggghhhhh.

Peachy take one big group shot and let us take a look at what you got. If that's stressful, reward yourself with a glass of sherry afterwards. :) But post the pic first. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

I love spending other people's money... lol.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Great report Peach!

I promise to comment if you post a couple of pics for your fans!

So Dennis, it appears that Snow White is forgiven !! For those not in know, I used to be Snow White.....but I drifted.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peach!

You needed to be here!

I'd have given you all the sherry you needed!

In the hot blistering sun.

$25 FOR EXPLETIVE FISH EXPLETIVE CHIPS?!?!?!?!

I hope you got some malt vinegar with that, or even better, some tartar sauce, with Tapatio hot sauce to mix in with it.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You lot of photo vampires...show some restraint please. I am a very old woman and technology scares me. After spending hours shrinking photos to fit on this site, I am afraid I must tell you that you have had your lot for this year...posssibly this decade. Randy, at least in a restaraunt one can spill boiling soup over the little dears and claim it was all their fault. Also the tables make good cover for sticking out a foot and tripping them over. Dave, today I bought half a BBQ chicken (brai chicken for the Sth African people) for $5, enough for me and the fur faced babies to have an enjoyable lunch. The lesson ?? Shop locally. Tyrone, unfortunately I rewarded myself in advance and think that perhaps that 15th glass of sherry wasnt the best idea I ever had.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well, Peach, your story's in reach . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's the latest update. Seems that I wasnt the only one distracted by the rampaging demon spawn. The girl loading the cart for me was also feeling the stress of refraining from infanticide by strangulation and instead of loading the big Adonidia merrilli I had chosen, put a common old Ptychosperma elegans on the cart instead. Only discovered this last night when I was moving things around and had my glasses on. No problems returning it of course but until I do, there's the problem of where to hide such a humble plant in the meantime.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy, it's well you don't waste your film on a lowly Solitaire, but Adonidia merrilii? They're almost weeds here. :huh:

There I go with the pics again. I will be happy with a verbal description of your score, is that okay?

You get to go to nurseries that carry all those cool palms. I have to grow mine from seeds, unless I cough up a chunk to order live plants by mail. Does your postal service restrict incoming palm seeds? I think New Zealand is very strict about it.

William

Hana, Maui

Visit my palms here

Peachy, it's well you don't waste your film on a lowly Solitaire, but Adonidia merrilii? They're almost weeds here. :huh:

There I go with the pics again. I will be happy with a verbal description of your score, is that okay?

You get to go to nurseries that carry all those cool palms. I have to grow mine from seeds, unless I cough up a chunk to order live plants by mail. Does your postal service restrict incoming palm seeds? I think New Zealand is very strict about it.

Bill, how unfortunate - that gold form of merillii is really expensive over here, thought i'd get one but it was over my budget.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Budget ? Hmmm...I think I have heard of the concept, but when it comes to palms there is no such thing as extravagance. Yes, seeds are inspected when they are sent here but as long as they are clean, dry, fungus free and on the permitted list then there is usually few problems.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Bill, how unfortunate - that gold form of merillii is really expensive over here, thought i'd get one but it was over my budget.

Kumar, I was joshing about the Adonidia. They are beautiful palms, though I think sensitive to cold from what I'm reading on PalmTalk. I'm not familiar with the gold form you mentioned. We do have a lot of them growing here, some people use the seeds for necklaces and earrings; it's a lot of work to prepare the seed.

William

Hana, Maui

Visit my palms here

The gold one is beautiful!! But a bit more sensitive to the sun exposure..

Reagrds, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Peach!

Brai chicken, oh do tell, about the taste, etc.

Hope to EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE etc. it's better than those EXPLETIVE Fish and EXPLETIVE chips.

Ahem.

Sippin' tea, right now, as the mother cat nurses the babies.

Ahem.

Well if you run out of milk for the tea you only have to squeeze the cat. !! Braii is just the african term for a bbq. But bought ones are just cooked on a rotisserie in an electric oven. Nothing exotic at all I am afraid.

Peachy

Edited by peachy

27.35 south.

Budget ? Hmmm...I think I have heard of the concept, but when it comes to palms there is no such thing as extravagance. Yes, seeds are inspected when they are sent here but as long as they are clean, dry, fungus free and on the permitted list then there is usually few problems.

Peachy

I try to keep a little money for food, but otherwise the palms get it hands down. Just a thought, I have a couple bunches of ripe fruit on the red sealing wax clump that could be cleaned and sent wherever they are welcome. Maybe you could train one not to clump. I grow them too, they are somewhat slow growing, but in great demand. If you want some seed, let me know via PM.

If you are as old as I am, we may just see these grow to maturity. :D Aloha

PS there are others too, P.elegans, Pritchardias, Sabals, alex, ivory cane,

Edited by hanapalms

William

Hana, Maui

Visit my palms here

A ripping yarn to be sure....

Wasn't it WC Fields that said kids are best with "a little salt"? blink.gif

and properly prepared....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Peachy

Must have been a great piece of fish!

Hope all the palms stay away from the compost heap and they behave themselves, unlike the brats.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon