• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga sp. 'blue fruit'

NatureGirl

Does anyone have any info on Pinanga sp. 'blue fruit' that Floribunda is selling? Has this been given an official name?

Thanks

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

I've heard of P. 'blue seed', but not 'blue fruit'.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are some pics of palms grown from seed that was purchased from RPS some years back.

They were lost in one overgrown corner of our nursery so are in need of a little TLC to be looking tidy again.

The seed was purchased as Pinanga sp. Blue Fruit.

Jim

post-710-12793902533123_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Here's a view of the leaf

post-710-12793903873512_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Quiet a spread of stems.

so that did not work but lets try again

post-710-12793912267782_thumb.jpg

So finally here is the last pic.

When these were younger they displayed mottled leaves similar to Pinanga kuhlii.

Good luck growing these. They seem to be easy and like other Pinanga that we have they need warmth, moisture and shade.

Jim

post-710-12793917110791_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Mine is still mottled, admittedly it is smaller than yours. But the leaves are darker green... or is it just the photo that they look lighter a bit like P. Kuhlii? I need to do a walk around & take photos...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I can vouch that they are cold sensitive. I had a lovely little one I got from a seller in West Palm Beach but last winter sent it to palm heaven. I haven't found another yet so I'm trying seeds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for sharing all the photos Jim. I purchased a 4" one from Floribunda this spring and had no idea what it will look like as an adult.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

One of my Pinanga kuhlii gets leaves like in post #4. The others have the leaflets more opposite. Glad you mentioned the shade. I've got one left that I haven't decided on where to plant it out.

I have a few P. kuhlii here, if you want more... Come and get it, Zig.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"