• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thrinax radiata

SubTropicRay

Can Thrinax radiata be grown in shade? I lost an 8 foot tall specimen (planted in 1998) during this year's freeze but hard-headed me will try this one again. This time, I'd like to grow it under high oak canopy where the frost can be kept at bay. Can these grow well in shade?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hi Ray, this particular Thrinax (i.e. radiata) is sold in the 'Suitable for indoor' category of the nurseries here - so shade should be OK.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

It should be fine under some canopy Ray :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Ray I understand your dilemma and unfortunately you may lose another palm either way. In the long run "zone pushing" this palm will kill it. Yes it will grow under an oak. As you know, when in the shade it will make bigger and thinner leaves. These leaves are susceptible to cold damage too.

You should be able to find radiata cheap so maybe a few new ones planted in different locations will give you a chance that one will still be alive after the next bout of very cold weather.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Go for it Ray. I have one planted in a shaded location. This last winter was the first time it was damaged by cold in the 10 yrs I have had it. Here it is as of today...

Can Thrinax radiata be grown in shade? I lost an 8 foot tall specimen (planted in 1998) during this year's freeze but hard-headed me will try this one again. This time, I'd like to grow it under high oak canopy where the frost can be kept at bay. Can these grow well in shade?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Ray, I can't believe you lost one of those to cold. I've never seen T. radiata suffer from cold. How low did you go over there?

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

This was a first for me too Charlene. Forget the absolute low, it was the 12 days of unforgiving temps that did it in. Coccothrinax argentata, Leucothrinax, C. crinita and Pseudophoenix sargentii all nearby were pretty much unaffected.

Well Ken, you've pretty much just guaranteed its success here for me. Nothing drives me more than someone telling me I can't do something. Yes, perhaps I'll lose it but if another 20 years pass before we get this again, it'll be worth it. The stuff that shouldn't have survived under the oak did better than expected so it's not a foregone conclusion it will die the next time we really freeze. This same type of thinking is why south Floridians still try Cyrtostachys and Pigafetta and that's just as silly a proposition.

Ray, Shade or sun you should grow it again. Besides the chances of another cold one like last winter is likely to not happen again for years. Get two, one for the sun and one for the shade. I have two but both are in full sun here. The larger one fruits each year - very eye catching with its long white infructesences hanging down.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Ray, they will grow in shade just fine. And it does help prevent frost burn. Thrinax radiata can tolerate some cold but the foliage is very sensitive to frost. We have a specimen that was planted out in 1990. It is growing under very old and large camphor trees so it gets bright, filtered shade. This past winter it was damaged but is growing back fine.

f3a1.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

With all of these specimens around central Florida that did survive, I'm wondering if I didn't copper fungicide mine to death. I did drench the bud more than twice. It was planted in 1999, had some good size and should have survived. It may be another late season surprise. We'll see