• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Pics of the Darian Tour!!!!!!

BeaumontTropics

here are some pics I'm sure many of you have been waiting too see.

this camera does not do this garden justice, Mardy, wherever you are,

you are the man!!!

I can't possibly identify these, maybe some of you can chime in and help....I'm still a rookie here folks.

post-4118-12794214836925_thumb.jpg

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

decipiens...

post-4118-12794215887361_thumb.jpg

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

big big royal....

post-4118-12794216411552_thumb.jpg

i think mealybug...

post-4118-12794217368527_thumb.jpg

big bizzie, with something crazy in front?

post-4118-12794218043677_thumb.jpg

Yes,yes, been waiting, thanks, bring it on, more please, nice pic btw, one rookie to another.

________________________________________________________________________________

Nick L

Nice coastal influence at 32 43'26.88"N 116 59'01.52"W elev. 829

Dypsis WHITE STEM!!!!!

post-4118-12794218691144_thumb.jpg

didn't see Freaky Palm Guy try to climb this Jubaea!

post-4118-12794219685941_thumb.jpg

don't recall this one..

post-4118-12794220895737_thumb.jpg

huge reclinata grove...with all kinds of other goodies.

post-4118-12794221560856_thumb.jpg

the other mardy palm....

post-4118-12794222848096_thumb.jpg

that's all i can do for now.....I'll try to add more later...this garden was crazy big!!

FINS WAY UP!!!!

Oh yeah, scream obscenities . . . . .

I was on my best (boring) behavior . . .

The garden was Mag as advertised, photos ARE NOT the same as being there.

But, great pix Beaumont Tropics!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What a day! It's not often one gets to enter a paradise created by a man! I did it today. Thankyou Dr. Mardy Darian for letting my eyes and camera see your wonderful creation of wonderful plants that alot of this planets population have not only seen but even heared about! I am the age you started this wonderful place to be. You are an inspiration for me Dr. Mardy Darian

Regards, Randy

test

I heard today that prior to today's tour that 104 people had joined/re-upped the So Cal Palm society. Doesn't include today!! The estimates were 250+ people, possibly near 300 people. :blink:

I had short notice to be a tour guide (last night), so Thank You to the people who came on my "mini-tours" and tolerated me well. It was great to see so many people I knew!

Eric, Sorry I missed you!

#1 was Doc's clumping Dypsis decaryi. Not sure on #9

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill, Eric, and Others,

We are not quite sure how many people came. A final tally will take a bit of time. I do know that we had five simultaneous tours going at once, and probably would have done better with seven groups. Bill, thank you for assisting; we needed you. Also many thanks to the other tour leaders: Gary L, Len G, Jeff B, and of course Mardy.

I want to emphasize the gracious hospitality that Dr. Darian and his wife Cheri gave to our group. They were great and we are so lucky to have had the opportunity to visit this amazing garden.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Nice pics Eric, where were you hiding?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I was to busy jabbering on about Mardy and Cheri's wonderful place to take many pix. But when I sat down to listen to Mardy speak to everyone, I snapped some crowd shots. The following probably show just over half the people there.

post-27-12794611460345_thumb.jpg post-27-12794612037609_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

continuing to turn..

post-27-12794614003492_thumb.jpg post-27-12794614692158_thumb.jpg

Nice pics Eric, where were you hiding?

Matt, I saw you when you first came in, but my tour was just getting started, and i didn't want to lose my tour guide. After my tour was over, we didn't stay much longer, I had an appointment with a palm grower in orange county I couldn't miss. What a tour though! Next time i'll make it a point to be able to hang out a bit more, so I can catch up with all the palmers!

I heard today that prior to today's tour that 104 people had joined/re-upped the So Cal Palm society. Doesn't include today!! The estimates were 250+ people, possibly near 300 people. :blink:

I had short notice to be a tour guide (last night), so Thank You to the people who came on my "mini-tours" and tolerated me well. It was great to see so many people I knew!

Eric, Sorry I missed you!

#1 was Doc's clumping Dypsis decaryi. Not sure on #9

Bill,

why weren't you my tour guide? I feel gipped now! I saw you running around like a chicken with you head cut off, so i didn't want to interfere. Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat! I really wanted to pick your brain a little bit more on "mound" planting. Oh well, next time! As for #1, I think the Hyphanae was in front of the suckering decaryi. as for #9, your guess would be much better than mine. I'm bummed my pics of the Prestonias are lousy, those things were so impressive!

close up of the mealy bug...

post-4118-12794628138141_thumb.jpg

i think this was parajubaea microcarpa...???

post-4118-12794629033042_thumb.jpg

and pritchardia ....?????(excuse the spelling if i goofed)

post-4118-12794629962504_thumb.jpg

does anyone remember this one??

This thing was a monster, I think some sort of ravenea? The fronds must have been close to 20 ft long, or longer, and the plant hadn't even began to trunk yet. This thing was a beast!

post-4118-12794631703487_thumb.jpg

This thing was a monster, I think some sort of ravenea? The fronds must have been close to 20 ft long, or longer, and the plant hadn't even began to trunk yet. This thing was a beast!

Eric- There really isn't a for sure name on this Ravenea "yet". The current thinking is it's Ravenea robustior or possibly giant/krociana. Old, to be sure.

#9 is a Chambeyronia macrocarpa.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks to everyone who helped put this on. I highly doubt this place will ever be seen again like this unless something drastic happens or someone/some company buys it in the future. The property is a prime piece of real estate with an ocean view (with no plants in the way) and can be divided into three 1 acre lots. So you do the math.

It was a pleasure to meet so many members and to finally put a face to a username. I can't wait to see all the pictures.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I took the tour twice once with Mardy and once with Len. I was absolutely blown away both times. It is amazing how much I missed the first time around. It is clear that Mardy did not go half way on anything in his life. Hopefully this garden remains to be his living legacy. Thanks to the Darians for allowing us to tour their yard and thank you to all who made it happen. Aaron

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

One of my favorites, I believe it will wind up to be Dypsis robustior but not 100%.

Gary Le Vine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

i think this was parajubaea microcarpa...???

This is correct, P. Microcarpa.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

One of my favorites, I believe it will wind up to be Dypsis robustior but not 100%.

Gary Le Vine

You mean Ravenea robustior? :huh:

Though it didn't look super happy, I think the most amazing palm I saw this weekend was this Deckenia nobilis. And it had some tell tale spines in the lower trunk so it is the real deal. I thought this palm was far too tropical for even a nice microclimate such as Darian's place is in. Amazing

DeckenianobilisinDariangarden.jpg

Geoff, having seen this at Docs several times, its one I want to try...

Bill your right, I meant Ravenea.

Sorry I missed you Geoff! with all the people there it was tough to run into everyone unless you happen to be on one of my tours.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido