• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spacing for Bismarkia

iwan

I have three holes bored in an approximate equilateral triangle, 7-10' on center. Is this too close for a group of Bismarkia?

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Hi Iwan,

I would say that is too close unless you want them leaning away from each other and banging leaves in the wind.

I prefer them to have the standing alone look where their majesty is obvious. If you have the space I would double the distance.

Jim

• Upvote 1

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

I have three holes bored in an approximate equilateral triangle, 7-10' on center. Is this too close for a group of Bismarkia?

7 feet is a bit close, 10 is okay though imo. That 3 feet can mean all the difference. I've planted a green bizzie 4.2 metres away from a silver bizzie and then I've stuffed up those ideal distances by planting a Corypha utan only 3.2 metres from both bizzies, approx equilateral triangle style. Does my head in thinking about what that Corypha will do. They're all small at present, only babies really, so we'll see. There's other palms nearer still to the Corypha, oh lordy, a palm car crash is well and truly on the cards down at the Mana in the years to come.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

OK, I have one no, one qualified yes. Any more comments or better yet, pictures of group plantings? I went out and measured the holes and they are in roughly a right (not equilateral) triangle. The back leg is 10', the other leg is 12' and the hypotenuse is 15'. There is a fourth hole somewhat centered amongst the others. Originally, I was going to use the central hole for a single Bismarkia and use the other holes for companion palms, but I thought that a triple planting might be cool.

Edited by iwan

Robert

9A

Iwan,

We just discussed this recently. Bumped the other thread for you.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo,

I missed that one. I have two 15g and a 5g for the front hole. Looks like it might turn out ok.

Robert

9A

Thanks Bo,

I missed that one. I have two 15g and a 5g for the front hole. Looks like it might turn out ok.

Agree entirely. That other thread shows that they could be closer still and look great, especially if at different heights.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.