• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

guess which dypsis Dr Darian told me grows fastest in southern Califoria ?

trioderob

Hmm. Decipiens?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dypsis prestoniana. But he does not grow as many Dypsis as a lot of us do now. It is not the fastest as many will attest.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

D. madagascarensis

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

D. madagascarensis x cabadae

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

At this point in this area its pembana by a nose.

________________________________________________________________________________

Nick L

Nice coastal influence at 32 43'26.88"N 116 59'01.52"W elev. 829

Dypsis dypsis? :wacko:

I guess Dypsis baronii

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Uhhhh, Ravenia glauca?? :mrlooney:

I don't know, I'm not a Dypsis guy- don't want to pick 'em up because I'll just be too heartbroken every winter when they all die.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

D leptocheilos.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

D. onilahensis - Darian stiff form, not Slick Willy. (at least it is in my coastal SoCal garden - inland Vista may be a different story - and further inland different still)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

so here is what Dr Darian told me:

"the fastest growing Dypsis for southern california is"

Dypsis OCWS (Orange Crownshaft White Stem)

That is Dypsis prestoniana. And a little history on "Big Curly" and "OCWS", they are two different forms of Dypsis prestoniana. OCWS was collected further north then "Big Curly". Recently Mardy has called all his Prestoniana's "OCWS". As many that grow both the "Big Curly" and "OCWS" will tell you, "OCWS" is slow and looks not near as nice and seldom holds many leaves. Anyone who saw his massive "Big Curly" on the hill can see why that form of Dypsis prestoniana will be such a perfect plant for SoCal. It was holding 12 dark green leafs and looked perfect. And it does grow very fast for a heeled Dypsis in SoCal. But it certainly is not the fastest Dypsis in SoCal.

The "Big Curly" version is what Mardy use to say was the faster Dypsis before he lumped them :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That is Dypsis prestoniana. And a little history on "Big Curly" and "OCWS", they are two different forms of Dypsis prestoniana. OCWS was collected further north then "Big Curly". Recently Mardy has called all his Prestoniana's "OCWS". As many that grow both the "Big Curly" and "OCWS" will tell you, "OCWS" is slow and looks not near as nice and seldom holds many leaves. Anyone who saw his massive "Big Curly" on the hill can see why that form of Dypsis prestoniana will be such a perfect plant for SoCal. It was holding 12 dark green leafs and looked perfect. And it does grow very fast for a heeled Dypsis in SoCal. But it certainly is not the fastest Dypsis in SoCal.

The "Big Curly" version is what Mardy use to say was the faster Dypsis before he lumped them :)

Maybe once they get in the ground they speed up.

For me, sort of a So Cal climate, D leptocheilos has been the winner. I put in 1.5m pot bound plants in the ground in Jan 2007 and now they would be 7m tall with 4m long spears.

D lutescens is pretty quick too.

My D decipiens I planted out from a pot has doubled in height from 1-2m in one year. They aren't really as slow as some make out.

I can't wait to get my D prestoniana's out in the ground. I have one big one in a 30L pot and a heap of little ones. This is good news from the Darian residence. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.