• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix dactylifera

JEFF IN MODESTO

I notice these Date palms Phoenix dactylifera at a local movie theater parking lot. They've been there a couple of years.

Looks like they are loaded with dates. I wonder what the chances are that the dates will ripen here. I dont think I have ever seen fruiting date palms in our area.

Im 75 miles east of San Francisco.

Do Dates ripen outside the desert?

post-116-049625100 1284876233_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Jeff,

I think they will ripen for you. We have them here too but they don't produce huge amounts of seed like the ones in your pic! But they produce viable ripe dates here, so i would say yes. There is one in South Orlando that has viable seed that i used to collect.

The palms in your pic are HUGE!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Jeff,

I think they will ripen for you. We have them here too but they don't produce huge amounts of seed like the ones in your pic! But they produce viable ripe dates here, so i would say yes. There is one in South Orlando that has viable seed that i used to collect.

The palms in your pic are HUGE!!

Yea Mark... They are way up there!

We are about a month away from getting our first rain of the year.... donno if that will effect them..

jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I notice these Date palms Phoenix dactylifera at a local movie theater parking lot. They've been there a couple of years.

Looks like they are loaded with dates. I wonder what the chances are that the dates will ripen here. I dont think I have ever seen fruiting date palms in our area.

Im 75 miles east of San Francisco.

Do Dates ripen outside the desert?

post-116-049625100 1284876233_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

Thanks for the photo. I've often wondered why we don't see date palms here in the Central Valley. I would think that our summer heat would be just the ticket.

Keep us posted on how those dates ripen - I'm sure the birds will clean them up if they do. I've got a couple of one year old seedlings that look fine.

In Europe, the northermost place where dattes are commercially grown is Elche, Spain.

Elche is not on the coast but a few miles inland which provides the dryness and heat they require. The dattes start to rippen in october.

MANU

Manu, France Z8A

Jeff,

Noramally I would say yes, they would ripen, but with the exceptionally cool summer we have had (apologies to everyone else in the Nortt, South, and Eastern areas of the lower 48) I wonder if they will this year.

The grape harvest is at least 2 week to 1 month late this year, which puts the harvest at risk with early rains possible.

Just thinking it might be the same for dates...

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Hey Jeff,

Here are the date palms at the local (now forclosed) Black Angus Restaurant. These have been here since the late 70's or early 80's. Three of these trees have small dates that are now falling onto the pavement.

Pdactylifera094.jpg

The fourth palm (farthest to the right)has larger fruits that look ok. They're even halfway sweet!

Pdactylifera100.jpg

I'm guessing you can get some subpar fruits like these, but Ive seen over the years that the cooler weather coming in now puts the kabosh on most of them.

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 1 month later...

Jeff have you noticed how the dates are doing at the theatre parking lot? Those trees were loaded with fruit.

Oh, the latest on the ill fated Black Angus Restaurant...plans are it will become an In and Out Burger. Good news for burger fans, but might be the end of the P dactylifera...I have a feeling they'll stick to the Washingotnia cross cross thing. It may be the end of the Phoenix anyway, the trees are showing serious signs of deterioration and simply may not be suitable for commercial purposes anymore. If you look closely at the pictures, you can tell that the latest growth on the trees was not as strong as its early growth. This may be an indication of its displeasure with our wet winters.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Jeff, we have plenty of date palms here in the south valley in front of all the newer shopping centers. I'm sure they would produce dates if they would not get the bajesus pruned out of them all the time. I don't know if you guys get the amount of dense fog we get every winter, but that will definately rot them. We don't usually worry about rain, it seems to go right around us here.

Chad

Jeff have you noticed how the dates are doing at the theatre parking lot? Those trees were loaded with fruit.

Oh, the latest on the ill fated Black Angus Restaurant...plans are it will become an In and Out Burger. Good news for burger fans, but might be the end of the P dactylifera...I have a feeling they'll stick to the Washingotnia cross cross thing. It may be the end of the Phoenix anyway, the trees are showing serious signs of deterioration and simply may not be suitable for commercial purposes anymore. If you look closely at the pictures, you can tell that the latest growth on the trees was not as strong as its early growth. This may be an indication of its displeasure with our wet winters.

Hi Glenn, I think those Date Palms at the Black Angus are under watered. Perhaps that contributed to the sub par fruit?

The palms planted at the movie Theater on Mc Henry look just as good as the ones at Indio.

May never find out whether the fruit is good or not... They cut down the fruit several weeks ago.

I read about the in and out Burger...Wonder if they'll uproot the Date palms and try to crisscross them?

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f