• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver Joey lives!!

Cindy Adair

We were excited to be able to purchase a lovely silver Joey from a Palmtalk member in Florida early in 2010 (thank you!!!). From there we carefully packed the palm to fly as baggage to Virginia and repacked for flight to Puerto Rico last April. After planting, no human even checked on the palm until we visited again in July. It seemed alive with perhaps a new spear but we weren't sure. Last week we were able to make a long weekend and lo and behold saw a new leaf and a new spear! To say we were happy would be quite an understatement!!! The undersides of all the leaves already show the beautiful silver. We can't wait to see what happens by next visit (April 2011).

post-4111-060390700 1290028081_thumb.jpg

post-4111-003531800 1290028114_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

Congrats! Glad to see that it's doing well. J. magnifica is definitely the most beautiful of the Joeys. Please keep us updated on its progress.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Hi Cindy,

A good sign for sure. You said, it actually got a new leaf already & a new spear? You might be right then.... Mine had a new spear after transplant shock, but it never actually opened!!! And then slowly but surely went to palm heaven!!! It took a whole year to die!! Anyway, will try again one day. I have 2 J. altifrons in pots now. I might wait till I have more canopy before I plant them out. Full shade, as I found out!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"