• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

tall cycads

Geoff

I know there are a lots of tall cycads in the world, but to see any this tall in California is unusual. These are probably the tallest Cycas revolutas I have seen (in front of a retirement home in Los Angeles). One behind me has to be 12' tall

Cycasrevolutastallandmebest.jpg

Wow!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I second Krishna's "Wow". Those are some giant revoluta.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Those are large for C. revoluta, and must be quite old. No wonder they're living in a retirement home.

Some Cycas species grow very large. This one, C. conferta, has about 6.25 metres of trunk.

post-4226-054668400 1291165638_thumb.jpg

That will give you an idea of the proportions of C. angulata which has an average mature height of 10 metres. There's a great photo of one on the PACSOA site : http://www.pacsoa.or...ycas/index.html.

But the big daddy of all cycads is Lepidozamia hopei which gets to 20 metres. That's about 3.5 times the size of the one in my photo.

Queen sago at calcutta botanical gardens

DSCF0216.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

There is supposed to be a 30 m tall hopei around here :unsure:

post-354-011994500 1291334673_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Here's a 16 metre 'long' one!

Looking at the apex, which is now growing upright.

DSC_0322.jpg

Looking back up towards to the apex (you can just make out the massive 3.5m leaves).

DSC_0312.jpg

Look towards the uprooted base on the left...

DSC_0311.jpg

The base with a sucker growing out from the top, and another larger one from the ground behind it.

DSC_0309.jpg

Edited by Mr Cycad

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Photo of base and the growing conditions. Note the water table (the bog).

DSC_0338.jpg

The massive leaflets.

DSC_0328.jpg

The spent female cone from last year.

DSC_0316.jpg

Left over seed that haven't been scattered by the wildlife

DSC_0319.jpg

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

So Kurt, how long before mine get to that size, taking into consideration they've germinated but haven't put out a first leaf yet. I assume it will take a little longer to get to the size Michael's talking about. :D

Several hundred years Zig :rolleyes:

cryogenics and clean living may allow you to see yours get big :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Here is a what I estimate to be a 12 footer planted in Quincy, FL in the historic distric in front of old homes.

female C. revoluta

That me - 6'3" tall for scale. the revoluta had recently been trimmed and doesnt get any special care as you can see by the condition it is in.

post-741-072968400 1291581507_thumb.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

'Trim' is an understatement - all the topmost fronds are gone. Is this how they take care of cycads?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

it is in flower and may have had beat up old leaves on the top, probably had cold damge also as it was record cold last year.

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

That's great Michael, they should reach maximum height about the same time as my Boabs, Adansonia gregorii. Those have only got another 696 years to go to reach maturity.

These are my largest cycads at home. This one has an accurately measured caudex of 2.94 metres. It's a female, produces masses of seed each year.

post-4226-017594400 1291596186_thumb.jpg

The larger of these two hasn't been measured but is probably a little taller than the one in the previous photo.

post-4226-071262800 1291596258_thumb.jpg

They're Cycas armstrongii. There's one in the bush close to here that I reasonably estimate to be about 9 metres tall. I've been meaning to take a string line out there one day and measure it accurately.

Nice giant cycad pics! I'm a big fan of huge sagos, here is my girl next to a massive clump of sago's at the Huntington Gardens in LA. This is probably the biggest clump of sago's I've ever scene in person! They got to be about 15' or so tall!

post-811-069681500 1291655266_thumb.jpg

Braden de Jong

Anyone have photos of E. Laurentianus ? I was searching on the internet for giant cycads and I found a photo oof this one which makes a royal palm look puny in comparison

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

Great thread. Here is my wife next to the largest sago that I have ever seen in person. It is growing in the ground at the University of Naples Botanical Garden.

Jody

post-1566-097653000 1291680262_thumb.jpg

And who can forget the ancient, awe-inspiring, 10-meter-tall Dioon mejiae plants growing in habitat in Olancho, Honduras? This is one of the most impressive things that I have ever seen (cycad or not).

Jody

post-1566-069883100 1291680545_thumb.jpg

My friend near tall Cycas revoluta in Lokrum botanic garden (Dubrovnik, Croatia).

He is approximately 1,80 m tall.

post-4039-046495700 1292293568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dundo

I have got this cycas rumphii when someone who wanted to chopped it down for his house renovation. Approximately 60 years old garden grown.

I got it for free, but the total expenses was around USD20 , to pay digging, transportation and the beers. Now at my palms garden, the back ground is paddy field

post-1960-022268200 1292941328_thumb.jpg

Cheers!! Hendriks

Edited by ixigena

• 3 months later...

During Christmas 2010 week, we visited Rustic Canyon Park on the border of Santa Monica and Pacific Palasades. Two ancient Dioon Spinulosums were near the parking lot. I estimate the height to be 30-35 feet. Tall cycads!!

post-3080-022265400 1301880723_thumb.jpg

Btw, my daughter Brittany posted this... I am incapable. :lol:

I'm glad I can turn my new laptop sideways and view it! haha :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

Tall multiheaded Cycas circinalis in Bombay, appears to be at least 15 feet high

DSC02466.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

I want that

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 2 weeks later...

I want that

No you don't Steve, you want a Cycas Thouarsii pup drool.gif

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Another tall pair of C. circinalis, these must be 20+ feet, though not cared for at all. I wonder whether people realize how unique and old some of these tall cycads are. Seeing so many similarly sized circinalis, I suspect these plantings were quite popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

DSC02402.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

Great thread. Here is my wife next to the largest sago that I have ever seen in person. It is growing in the ground at the University of Naples Botanical Garden.

Jody

yes in in my city There are many centenarians Cycas revoluta

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE