• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

large Baobab Tree, Adansonia digitata in Ft. Lauderdale

Eric in Orlando

I spotted this large Baobab Tree, Adansonia digitata, in Ft. Lauderdale today. It is on the corner of US1 and Griffin Rd., just south of downtown and on the SE corner of the airport. Noticed it was also flowering

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Pretty old I suspect? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It is very old. I would guess it was planted about the same time as the specimens in Hollywood Circle (a few miles south), which are even bigger. I have grown many trees from seeds of that tree.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1033719786035088639OtnaAB

The link has a closer shot of one of the Young Circle baobabs and claims a planting time of the 1930's. Sounds about right for when the area was developed.

When they realigned US1 for the airport expansion 20 + years ago, this baobab was scheduled to be cut down. There was a great hue and cry by locals and the tree was saved and the road moved instead.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Glad it was saved !

I've seen those Hollywood specimens, they are very impressive

eff6.jpg

b161.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is mine... 4 years old from seed, I´ll need to wait another maybe 50 years to see it that big.. I also have one adansonia grandidieri but is slower than digitata...

post-1284-070008000 1296153189_thumb.jpg

post-1284-003071400 1296153204_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Here is mine... 4 years old from seed, I´ll need to wait another maybe 50 years to see it that big.. I also have one adansonia grandidieri but is slower than digitata...

Need update sir.

Thank you very much :-D

BUMP...

Palmetro and Jerry@TreeZoo

Any update on your pictured Baobab tree?

They look like any ordinary tree when young...not very impressive at all.

I recently purchased grandieri seeds from RPS and not much luck germinating.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Ritchy

Thanks for the visuals, and this type of trees are my favourite too.

And I have 2 of these growing in pots.but the one growing in madsgascar main island is the beautiful of these varities.I.e they have tall trunks but very few branches on top.even pink floyyd had used them in his album cover.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

post-106-0-89616700-1371430522_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-79206000-1371430565_thumb.jpg

I germinated this tree about 20 years ago. It is over 20 feet tall now. I got the seeds from the tree Eric posted at US1 and Griffin Road, at the SE corner of Ft Lauderdale airport. You can probly see Erics tree from google earth.

post-106-0-09912200-1371430630_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-30861800-1371430667_thumb.jpg

The trunk is at least 4 feet wide at the base

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 2 weeks later...

That is gorgeous!. I would love to try growing one of those. I have not seen any growing in my area. I am going to start looking.

I don't know about Port Charlotte, but they definitely grow well in Naples. I saw photos of one with a 30" diameter trunk.

Jerry, that one is awesome !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Anyone seen the big one at Kampong in awhile ? How is it doing ?

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a