• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fattest trunks

sarasota alex

I like clean fat trunks. And I mean really fat. A Roystonea or a S. causiarum are not going to be fat enough for me. My comfort zone starts at about 80cm in diameter (about 32 inches). So far I know of 3 palm species whose trunk I've witnessed to exceed that magic number - Jubaea chilensis, Washingtonia filifera and Copernicia baileyana. I'm pretty sure a Corypha would fall into this category, but I've never seen one without persistent leaf bases.

The question I have is - What other palms am I not thinking of?

• Upvote 1

How about caryota gigas. San Diego zoo has a couple with some really beefy trunks.

Edited by Stevetoad

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Roystoneas in Cali get real fat on the base, like those inflatable punchy-things mom and dad bought my brother and me as kids.

Hmm. Some Caryota gigas can get about 36" across, particularly in habitat, some get even larger.

I've been told that parajube tor tors get to be 36" across with time.

Interesting question!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ravenea rivularis can get quite large.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wow looked at some pictures of Caryota gigas and didn't realize how huge they get. I don't think think I've seen one in person and kind of thought it was comparable in the size of the trunk to C. urens. Boy, was I wrong. Also I've never seen a Parajub tor tor, except on pictures.

There are a lot of palms that get thick at the base, but what I really think is impressive is diameter at the hugable height. I like the monolithic columnar lookdrool.gif

If looking for the "monolithic clean columnar" look, I believe the suspects in your area are either Copernicia baileyanna or Copernicia fallaensis.The California Royals I have seen on the Board definitely look corpulent but I wonder if they get better treatment in California as compared to Florida. Although the two Copernicia specimens are much thicker than Royals, they are extremely slow growing and you may have to wait many years to see results.

Accordingly, I believe if you looked into methods to baby and fatten the fast growing Florida Royal and treated them like Royalty, that is your best bet. I believe a nursery somewhere in Homestead claims the thickest Royals. They must have a special formula. You should look into and copy their method.

What you look for is what is looking

How fat do Borassus trunks get?

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

I remember seein' a H. lagenicaulis on a canal somewhere down in Punta Gorda that was soooo-o swollen up....

Short, and fat. With endless supply of canal water to drink...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

I know of three Borassus aethiopum in Palm Beach County that are about five feet in diameter.

Dale F. Holton

Butijuba. Copernicia, Corypha, Tahina, Borassus .......

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Jubaea chilensis gets pretty fat

post-4299-001691100 1307240068_thumb.jpg

At Camden Park Camden, it is a very old specimen

post-4299-040477200 1307240062_thumb.jpg

Some more down the paddock

post-4299-034600600 1307240091_thumb.jpg

oops, pretty fat trunk but not a palm. The Prison tree (Adansonia) at Derby in Western Australia.

Regards

Wanderanwills

Edited by Wanderanwills

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

Corypha umbraculifera can get pretty fat too..

post-4299-008324400 1307241948_thumb.jpg

Not as fat as trioderob's Jub.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

just for the record thats not my JUB

on the other hand the kid is

(the Corypha umbraculifera is pretty fat)

Edited by trioderob

bleah

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I still believe Alex's best bet is a babied Royal if he is looking for the clean columnar look. Unfortunately, those Jubaeas, which blow away any Copernicia, have no chance in Florida. I am particularly enamored with Trioderob's specimen ( Extremely attractivus femalia). Stephen's Baobob is surreal.

Corypha grow well here but have not seen any that thick. I have seen some mind blowing Borrasus in this area but have not seen any 5 feet thick! I believe it, I just want to see it.

Unfortunately, Borrasus are slow grows for heighth (like Copernicia) and I do not think Alex wants to wait that long.I have seen some very thick Hyophorbias (particularly Bottles)but they lack heighth. I never knew Tahinas get thick.

Investigate how to make fast growing Royals fat (see Homestead). That's my best guess.

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks for the info everyone! Bubba, unfortunately at this point I simply dream of growing something like this. No room or budget at the moment. But it does sound like an extra fat Roystonea is my best bet.

I love Borassus, but I haven't really seen any in FL with a clean trunk that was over 2' thick. So I would love to see those 5' ones as well. Trioderob's Jubaea there is one of the thickest I've seen and it's about 4.5' thick at the eye level, so I can't image a thicker Borassus. Maybe a young one at the base with leafbases still on?

I have seen royals of remarkable girth. Easily 36" in diameter. Monsters. Like Bubba said there is a nursery some where down south with a reputation for giant trunked monsters.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a