• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Very Special Garden

sur4z

I am part of a very eclectic group called "the gentlemen of the garden" (GOGS) whose sole purpose (other than to have fun) is to raise funds for the Ann Norton Sculpture Garden in West Palm Beach . Not only does it contain wonderful sculptures and exhibits but it has a collection of palm trees that has few rivals this side of Fairchild Gardens in Coral Gables.

Anyway the GOGS meet monthly at the homes of the better healed members and the rest of us always attend to eat their food and drink their spirits. This months meeting was at the home of Bob Eigelberger and his wife Susie Phipps Cochran. The property has been in Susie's family for 4 generations and consisted of 20 acres. About 15 years ago the family sold 14 acres to a developer who subdivided the land and built homes on 2 new streets...on either side of the remaining 6 acres. Bob, a world traveler and avid palm collector, planted and planted to protect their privacy and has created an amazing oasis. If you did not know this property existed...well you wouldn't know because you can't see it from the outside looking in.

On the night of the meeting or when Bob is entertaining , he opens a gate on the south and you walk through a nature trail to get to the house. Actually, the trail goes completely around the perimeter of the property and it is easy to get lost, especialy after imbibing.

Here are some iphone shots of Bob and Susie's place.

gog1.jpg

Arenga pinnata, I think...more to come...

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

gog6.jpg

Another A.pinnata

gog5.jpg

A coco

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

gog3.jpg

Some kind of Dracena

gog4.jpg

I don't now what these are but there are at least 10 of them planted around a circle standing tall like sentinels.

--Avett Bros

gog12.jpg

Leaving the trail we walked by this pool to get to the house.

gog7.jpg

Almost at the house was this desert rose.

--Avett Bros

gog8.jpg

...then you see this

gog10.jpg

...and this

--Avett Bros

gog11.jpg

My favorite aside from the palms, was this plumeria that Bob brought back from a garden near Diamond Head in Hawaii. Bob admits to braking off a branch and shoving in his pants...then sending it home in one of those cylindrical mailing tubes. There were too many people around or I would have done the same thing to Bob's plant.

--Avett Bros

gog13.jpg

This a very cool Coccothrinax borhidiana

gog17-1.jpg

...here's another one

--Avett Bros

gog29.jpg

beaked yucca

gogo18.jpg

minature gardinia

--Avett Bros

gog24.jpg

another shot of the yard

gog21.jpg

more beauty

--Avett Bros

gog16.jpg

Livistona?

gog27.jpg

T.radiata

--Avett Bros

gog25.jpg

Howea forsteriana...I guess it can be grown here.

gog19.jpg

This little guy grows along the Nile in Egypt...Bob says it has one stalk but splits into 2 heads...it is not a clumping palm...can anyone name it?

--Avett Bros

CASAaerial-1.jpg

An aerial of Casa Phippsberger

--Avett Bros

That's a truly spectacular garden! Thanks for posting. And the aerial view, wow, that really puts it into perspective! Incredible! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I think the tall columnar trees are Ashoka trees, Polyalthia longifolia var. pendula.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Looks like fun! No wonder you are aGOG! :winkie:

This garden is a good illustration of how grass can be useful as negative space. It really sets off the rest of the garden beautifully.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 words......OOOH AAAH

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Pedro, Great shots (Can you say ANTS)and I appreciate the fact that you did not post the Pritchardia pacifica.The colors of the foliage that grows in the beds where the Palms, like mature C. borhidiana are planted, have to be seen to believe. They are so bright they almost hurt your eyes. You missed the C. renda.

What you look for is what is looking

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! Can't get anything else to come to mind but WOW! Thanks for sharing such an inspirational garden.

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Beautiful garden. Livistona looks like decipiens

Edited by Stevetoad

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

CASAaerial-1.jpg

An aerial of Casa Phippsberger

This looks like my house and garden...only a lot smaller and not as cool sad.gif

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Awesome!

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

gog3.jpg

Some kind of Dracena

gog4.jpg

I don't now what these are but there are at least 10 of them planted around a circle standing tall like sentinels.

Looks like a Pacypodium in the first photo and Indian Mast Trees in the second.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

gog3.jpg

Some kind of Dracena

gog4.jpg

Hi Sur4Z,

These trees are Polyalthia longifolia var. pendula.

You can see them HERE

Phil

Pedro, That's quite an estate! Your post reminds me I'm due for a visit to the Norton Garden. :winkie: Thanks for the photos.

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Whoever's doing the maintenance and planting is doing fantastic work. Carpets of bromeliads are easy to care for, but keeping such massive beds tidy amounts to a lot of work. Not to mention keeping the trees and shrubs in shape.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Here are a few more photos

gog28.jpg

a Royal and some kind of Phoenix

gog.jpg

Chambeyronia macrocarpa...I think

--Avett Bros

gog26.jpg

varigated ficus

gog23.jpg

pretty flowers

--Avett Bros

For more about the Ann Norton Sculpture Garden visit www.ansg.org

And for Casa Phippsberger visit www.casaphippsberger.org

--Avett Bros

--Avett Bros

Ken, Believe or not, they hustled up the ANTS for a showing out in Las Vegas at some fancy art festival. Things are a little shaky around here without the ANTS.

Great garden, I like the textures and mixes of all the flora and fauna, great use of colors and contrasts. :drool: The only thing missing is a couple of large copernicia Baileyana or Fallaensis out in the open on the grass there, somewhere... Looking at some of those clumping(?) phoenix, I am thinking I dont want to be the guy trimming that massive and dense garden... :(

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Pedro,

Great pictures. I've visited this garden several times over the years. Bob is very generous and opens his garden to the plant societies in Palm Beach county.

I like those mast trees as well.

BTW - Have you been in the calendar?

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

mapwebLABEL-650x384.jpg

The mast trees are positoned around the circular walk way in the bottom left corner.

--Avett Bros

Nice garden.... still a lot of work to maintain the garden to look that perfect :) Thanks for posting.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

:drool: wow!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I’ve always wanted to see that garden, thanks for sharing the pictures!!

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

• 1 month later...

post-1122-036947300 1311358708_thumb.jpg

Bubba standing under a very old P.pacifica`

--Avett Bros

Pedro, Looks like our friend bubba got his green eggs and ham taken away.Please tell Ken that the only "ANTS" in town are now located wherigo his Copernicia fallanse groweth.

Going back through these shots of Bob's Garden, it is a truly amazing spectacle.Those Mast Trees are boldacious.