• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Eureka Areca

realarch

Wandering in the garden today and my Areca's wanted their photos taken, so I obliged. I'm always amazed how colorful and varied this genus is, but at the same time

have such similar traits you can always seem to identify them. Really nice palms for the garden. All still pretty much babies, but making good progress.

A. catechu

post-0-022636300 1308268962_thumb.jpg

acquired as macrocarpa, but I thinks it's macrocaylx

post-0-057699300 1308269046_thumb.jpg

A. caliso with A. triandra directly behind

post-0-049354800 1308269146_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

A.catechu dwarf

post-1300-037578900 1308269468_thumb.jpg

A. macrocalyx and one in the background not near as showy

post-1300-092526500 1308269515_thumb.jpg

A. vestiaria orange solitary

post-1300-060527600 1308269680_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

And a couple more:

A. catechu var. alba

post-1300-028038600 1308269796_thumb.jpg

A. vestiaria var. maroon

post-1300-043755500 1308269842_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Oh, and one more. Can't forget A. guppyana.

post-1300-064752400 1308270101_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim looking REALLY good your albas leaf look so green what are feeding them I can't get mine to green up always look so yellow.angry.gif

Awesome...just awesome. I'm trying to get my wife to want to move to Hilo. One of my life goals is to live on the big island. So far it's a no go. Still working on it....until it works. Thanks for making my itch worse.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Awesome...just awesome. I'm trying to get my wife to want to move to Hilo. One of my life goals is to live on the big island. So far it's a no go. Still working on it....until it works. Thanks for making my itch worse.

With housing so cheap today you could buy a second home and just come in the winter. Saw a house today for sale in Lellani 1.22 acres and 1200 sf for $99K, you could plant plams forever on your lot:-)

With housing so cheap today you could buy a second home and just come in the winter. Saw a house today for sale in Lellani 1.22 acres and 1200 sf for $99K, you could plant plams forever on your lot:-)

Your killing me. Buddy of mine offered me a tile setting job out there. Hawaii is exactly my idea of heaven. Warm humid breezes, warm water, warm rain....it's almost so beautiful you could puke...in a good way.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Yeah great photos there, I only have A.catechu, A. triandra, A. vestiaria and A. guppyana.........would love to get some more.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Those are beautiful! :drool: I think I've killed at least one of each of the Arecas you posted :hmm:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wow, your Arecas are to die for! :drool:

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

The A. catechu var. alba are amazing, everything else too! :drool:

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Those are beautiful, and inspiring! So far, my only experience with Areca are the Home Depot ones (long gone), and currently trying to germinate Areca engleri and A. tremula seeds - it's been a couple months now... Love the trunk colors!

Tim,

All your palms look incredible! :) I'm guessing you're happy you're here and not where you used to be! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Tim, from your photos I can see I need to collect more examples of this genus. Every one is a beauty. And those dwarves, so precious! (sorry, but they are too cute) :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Those are beautiful, and inspiring! So far, my only experience with Areca are the Home Depot ones (long gone), and currently trying to germinate Areca engleri and A. tremula seeds - it's been a couple months now... Love the trunk colors!

I think you're referring to Arenga not Areca...I get it mixed up sometimes too.

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Areca is one my favorite genera. If only they weren't so cold sensitive.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

OOPS!!! Yes, I was talking about Arengas.... But what I said, applies to the above plants - beautiful !

Thanks everybody.

Bill, I fertilize about every 6 -8 months with the HGC mix. These guys burned for over a year, but now are adapting to full sun. They are getting robust as well.

Stephen, I lived in San Diego for 24 years and am soooooo glad I'm here.

Andrew, I could always use some more macrocalyx and alba's.

Bo, you got that right!

Kim, they are cute, I should probably name them.

Vince, I hope to be posting for a long time.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice Areca, Tim :). They definitely need to be planted more.... hard to find anything unusual though. I like them as they seem to like Darwin condition better than the rest of tropical genus....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

There are lots of nice Areca spp. and yes Ari some seem hard to get .

A. dayung looks amazing also A. insignis .

A. ridleyana is on the top of my must get list .

Small growing A. vidaliana is one I got from Mikey a few years ago .

pics later ,though some should be posted here somewhere .

Edited by aussiearoids

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Oh yeah Michael, post some pics. I've never even heard of those species.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

It is hard enough to find A. macrocalyx, let alone those species you mentioned, Michael...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Amazing palms Tim..they all look a picture of health! What a a great genus Areca is. I should try and grow more here, but they do struggle when they are smaller as my winters are a little cool.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

CHUNKY Palms Tim, All VERY Appealing, well grown, well spaced and well planned. The Broad Leaflets on Arecas are Super. Pete

Thanks for posting these rippers, :drool: I agree with every one else, "there's something about Arecas". The green of a junior betel nut has always done it for me and how can we forget vestiaria, one of THE palms that sucked me into this game.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Just realised how chunky your Areca vestiara orange is.... I like it!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Very nice! I wish more of them (species) were amenable to pot culture. My A. triandra is doing very well, but I've not had as much luck with A. vestiaria and A. ipot. Trying A. vestiaria again - seeds are beginning to sprout.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com