• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix rupicola

redant

The palm in the following pictures will meet with a chainsaw if I don't rescue it. While the owners like it they don't like where it is, placed oddly i front of the house. I was thinking of hiring a couple of helpers to dig and remove but it's pretty big and heavy and the outcome of that event an unknown. thoughts on what this palm is and what you would do most welcome. If it is Phoenix rupicola, it's pretty old, they just don't seem to grow very fast for me.

post-202-032251700 1309451426_thumb.jpg

post-202-010768000 1309451441_thumb.jpg

post-202-060756200 1309451487_thumb.jpg

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Sure looks to be a hybrid.

Given the shape of the crown, and not the color of the fronds, it looks to have some sylvestris in there. Fronds do look like rupicola, but crown is bigger and the trunk is fatter.

It definitely has micro/micro uptake deficiencies.

Hope you find a new owner.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I think it's a rupie canariensis hybrid. Its leaves are not nearly plumose enough to show any sylvestris ancestry (though I could be wrong!).

It's got that rupie gangsta lean, and the thickened trunk that shows R X C ancestry. Also, sylvesters are really light, almost white, and that one's too dark.

Whatever it is, it's a beauty, and it should move easily with some care. It's big, and you will need a crew. Shoot Ken Johnson a PM and he can offer specific advice. He's the king of Palm Moving.

If you can't find a home for it yourself, offer to put it on Craigslist and someone will come and get it, likely very quickly. You probably won't get anyone to buy it, though, as that time has passed for the time being.

That's how I got rid of my 8 Queen Palms of Madness, Mistake and Misery. Up on CL on Friday, guy came and took 'em on Sunday, with a 40 foot trailer.

Whoo-ee!

Let us know what you do!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You called it, Dave, I think that's the phrase I've been looking for with my rupicolas- "A Gangsta' Lean". Thanks!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Thank you for saving that beautifull palm. I know you have'nt yet, but hopefully someone will. I would love to have it but it would take a bobcat to load it and i don't have the funds to rent one. I have access to one, but it is a LLOOONNGGG way from Jupiter!

That would be an easy dig, but a long haul!

I have a truck and trailer but no way to get it into the trailer.

Please do your best to save it!!!

BTW, looks like a P.Roebelenni X Canary to me, just my guess.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

It's a hybrid all right. It sure looks heavy. Anyone care to guess how much it will weigh after it's dug?

2,000 pounds?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you for saving that beautifull palm. I know you have'nt yet, but hopefully someone will. I would love to have it but it would take a bobcat to load it and i don't have the funds to rent one. I have access to one, but it is a LLOOONNGGG way from Jupiter!

That would be an easy dig, but a long haul!

I have a truck and trailer but no way to get it into the trailer.

Please do your best to save it!!!

BTW, looks like a P.Roebelenni X Canary to me, just my guess.

If you get a strong enough lever and a big enough crew, you won't need a bobcat.

I used 2 X 12 boards and a floor jack to load some HEAVY [fecal material] on my old pickup truck. Like potted plants that weighed about 600 pounds each.

Anything that will lift a car ought to lift that palm after it's dug.

Right, Ken?

I would estimate the palm is worth $1000-2000 Retail, installed. If you get it free and bust something moving it? Figure that cost. If you paid $300 for a tow truck to lift it and set it would it be worth digging it?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

It's a hybrid all right. It sure looks heavy. Anyone care to guess how much it will weigh after it's dug?

I think you could definitely handle it with a bobcat. The weight would depend on the size of the rootball. Tell me that and I can probably come pretty close on the weight.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

• 3 years later...

If that is a hybrid. Then it is actually much more common in my area than straight Rupicolas. I have seen at least 10 palms identical to that one in Hollywood, Florida. But I have not seen a single straight Rupicola here.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

If that is a hybrid. Then it is actually much more common in my area than straight Rupicolas. I have seen at least 10 palms identical to that one in Hollywood, Florida. But I have not seen a single straight Rupicola here.

I have never seen a hybrid Phoenix that looked like another, having said that, hybrids are my favorites. Canary X robellini is my preferred choice.

This poor guy was hacked down, a shame if you ask me. Bet it was at least 30 or 40 years old. House was built in the 60's so maybe even older.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A