SCAMMER ALERT - IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - CLICK HERE ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha Seedling

Kumar

I had with some difficulty bought two corypha umbraculiferas in Feb '11. One was immediately planted into the ground and is doing well. Th other was a recently repotted specimen, transplanted entirely into some sandy medium at the nursery. I immediately put it into a pot, with equal mix of thick soil and sand. Here it was at the time of my potting, looking reasonable.

DSCF0080.jpg

Now in April, I was shocked to see that nearly all the strap fronds were dried up and just one was still healthy - I was quite certain it was just a matter of time before it was finished and very nearly cleared out the pot.

DSCF0163.jpg

This time, after two months, I am presently surprised to see that not only is the corypha still ok, but it has what appears to be the tip of a new spear emerging.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Now I hope this recovery is not a temporary phase. Still don't know what caused the decline though. I must mention that it has been getting extremely heavy rain for the last four weeks - about 2-4 hours every two days.

• Upvote 1

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Kumar, it's difficult to see how deep the pot is. Corypha's have deep roots and perhaps it suffered because it needs to be in the ground or in a deeper pot. I have two in the ground and two in pots, thanks to Kris,and I know they like a little leg room. Just a thought. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

• 3 months later...

The same Corypha after six months. As can bee seen, it seems to have recovered. What a relief

IMG_0429.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Kumar,

Your seedlings look healthy. I have a bunch of C. utan ; my batch of C. umbraculifera all died on me. I'm planting my C. utan in the ground to get them started... I don't think they like being in pots for very long. I have had one in the ground for some months now, it seems to just now becoming accustomed to its new home. Trouble is that to plant them in my garden at the size they are, there's a good chance the weeds and vines will overtake them before I can bail them out. The one I have in the ground is in the shade, so growth is slow for the weeds etc., but I guess that would also slow down the palm.:unsure:

No matter how you size it up, I doubt I will be around to see mature trees.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

You will be surprised how fast they are... once they get going.... Mine is FAST now!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 3 months later...

Feb 2012 Update.

Not a great deal of growth but any progress is welcome!

post-4418-027853600 1329347228_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India