• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea 'Super Silver' in habitad

Takil-Explorer

Here a pictures of Brahea 'Super Silver in its natural habitad near Zapotitlan in Puebla State, Mexico.

post-5026-095378000 1310872151_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

More Brahea 'Super Silver'. Pictures are from April 26, 2003 and I took them with an old fashioned manual camera.

post-5026-093882500%201310872319_thumb.jpg

Alexander

post-5026-093882500 1310872319_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very cool. Seeing them in that terrain makes me think I'm babying mine to much.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Perfect timing for this post.

I just planted 10 seeds earlier today.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Well its a pleasure to me. Are there other people here whom have seen it in habitad? And have pictures.

Alexander

Great Photos Alexander, your explorations take you to some diverse places!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Thanks for those photos Alexander of what just might be Brahea 'Super Silver' or if not, it must then be very closely allied to it, I'd think. You said these were found in habitat near Zapotitlan, Puebla, Mexico. It would be interesting to know if this is the same general area where Toby first found Brahea 'Super Silver' or is its habitat scattered by some distance to other areas? And if this is so, there then could be some genetic variability complicating matters a bit. Regardless, it is a very nice and interesting blue palm differing from B. armata, as I see it, by its unarmed petioles, thinner trunk and its inflorescences (very different from B. armata and a bit more like B. nitida) extending well beyond the leaves but not as extreme as in B. armata. What more could we add here to clarify the uniqueness of this palm?

I'm happy to have a small B. 'Super Silver' growing well here in our garden.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

WOOOWWWW !!!!!

Thanks Alexander ...and where are the Cowboys and the Indians?... :rolleyes:

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

WOOOWWWW !!!!!

Thanks Alexander ...and where are the Cowboys and the Indians?... :rolleyes:

Well no cowboys in that area. You have to go farther north for them across the border...

But in Zapotitlan you have the local Popoploca people. And some precolumbian remains of the local culture. And in the mountain you still find Nahuatl speaking people.

Here a picture of a local, probably Nahuatl speaking woman selling the flowers of Magnolia dealbata on the marked of Tehuacan. Well I spend a couple of days there with a Nahutal and Spanish speking local whom showed me arround.

post-5026-075619500%201310959432_thumb.jpg

Alexander

post-5026-075619500 1310959432_thumb.jpg

P.S.

Magnolia dealbata is closely related to Magnolia macrophylla from the Eastern U.S.

Alexander

Back to the Brahea 'Super Silver', or whatever it is. Here a picture of one in the botanical gardens of Oaxacaca behind the cathedral. I saw it from the bus also in that state on the way to Tehuacan, that dessert area covers both Puebla State and Oaxacaca State. It was there growing together with Brahea dulcis. But the B' Super Silver' has a much more blue silver colour!

At the back one Brahea Super Silver, the same as I found above Zapotitlan las Salinas. Well I can not see any differences.

Also some Agave guignola in front.

post-5026-057151100%201310960324_thumb.jpg

Alexander

post-5026-057151100 1310960324_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for those photos Alexander of what just might be Brahea 'Super Silver' or if not, it must then be very closely allied to it, I'd think. You said these were found in habitat near Zapotitlan, Puebla, Mexico. It would be interesting to know if this is the same general area where Toby first found Brahea 'Super Silver' or is its habitat scattered by some distance to other areas? And if this is so, there then could be some genetic variability complicating matters a bit. Regardless, it is a very nice and interesting blue palm differing from B. armata, as I see it, by its unarmed petioles, thinner trunk and its inflorescences (very different from B. armata and a bit more like B. nitida) extending well beyond the leaves but not as extreme as in B. armata. What more could we add here to clarify the uniqueness of this palm?

Where did Tobias Spanner find it by the way? Any placename, or state? I have seen pictures of it on rarepalmseeds.com But the exact location is not mentioned. I guess this B. 'Super Blue' is something differend from Brahea clara or B. nitida. Well for people living in Arizona or California this should be easier to say as those palms are grown in gardens there.

Alexander

Another picture of Brahea 'Super Silver' with Brahea dulcis in the back on that limestone mountain, just north of Zapotitlan las Salinas.

post-5026-014417300%201310960825_thumb.jpg

Alexander

post-5026-014417300 1310960825_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Brahea dulcis reminded me a bit to our European Chamaerops humillis. Also multitrunking in contrast with the silver Brahea 'Super Silver' wich only made one trunk!

Alexander

Where did Tobias Spanner find it by the way? Any placename, or state? I have seen pictures of it on rarepalmseeds.com But the exact location is not mentioned. I guess this B. 'Super Blue' is something differend from Brahea clara or B. nitida. Well for people living in Arizona or California this should be easier to say as those palms are grown in gardens there.

Alexander

It would be interesting to see more photos of all the known Braheas but that would best be done in a whole new thread. However, even just seeing pics of the Braheas which seem more closely allied to Brahea 'Super Silver' (for comparison) such as B. nitida, etc. would be nice. Anyone have pics to share?

Al in Kona

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Well the Brahea Super Silver on the rarepalmseeds website is coming from Central Mexico, growing together with Brahea dulcis, in an arrid area. And the 3 pictures show an identical palm, well 2 of them, and one with a Brahea dulcis. Well I guess what I saw was Brahea Super Silver. And if its not what is it then???

Alexander

• 6 months later...

Hello, I have seen this palm 3 years ago, as I live a couple of hours where it grows, it is really beautiful, yesterday I went there and got 1 kg of seeds, any suggestions about its germination?? thanks

post-2961-083814900 1328649273_thumb.jpg

Look this amazing group of this Brahea

Edited by Fran
  • Upvote 2

Francisco, that photo of all those Brahea palms is simply fantastic. Could I trouble you to say where the photo was taken? A site I would greatly like to visit one day to see in person. Gracias por tener muestrado esse foto!

Nice pic.

Probably would be good to get the fruit off the seed. I had no trouble germinating these in community pots with a free draining soil mix. Should be very easy with fresh seeds.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Hello, I have seen this palm 3 years ago, as I live a couple of hours where it grows, it is really beautiful, yesterday I went there and got 1 kg of seeds, any suggestions about its germination?? thanks

That photo really is amazing. Thanks for sharing! Hope mine looks like that someday.

Does yours look silver? (I'm assuming super . . . ) I've got three or four young plants and they're just green.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Great photo. Awesome sight.

Thanks.

When do these guys go silver? Mine are just super greeners

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Francisco, that photo of all those Brahea palms is simply fantastic. Could I trouble you to say where the photo was taken? A site I would greatly like to visit one day to see in person. Gracias por tener muestrado esse foto!

Well it was taken near Zapotitlan, there are many hills and in some of them these palms are growing, they look beautiful.

In the mountains above Zapotitlan Salinas I did see it. Well there is a botanical garden there, ask the people there where yopu can see it.I went with a chap from that garden into the mountains. Well its a botanical paradise upthere!

But the Brahea Super Silver can also bee seen from the roads from Oaxaca to Puebla state. You come across a dessert area where you get lots of interesting plants. Well its that same dessert area as where Zapotilan Salinas lays.

Alexander

When do these guys go silver? Mine are just super greeners

We've had a crop for about three or four years and about 20% are starting to get silver on the newest leaves. It's kind of like decumbens in that way, starting green and changing to silver as it develops.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My 4 Brahea Super Silver are still green. I have grown them from seeds I did collect 10 years ago in Mexico. But mine are in pot and also the fact that I grow them at 52 degrees latitude north could be a reason for the absence of any blue collor. But in warmer sunnier parts of the World like California or Southern Europe it would take less long.

Alexander

My 4 Brahea Super Silver are still green. I have grown them from seeds I did collect 10 years ago in Mexico. But mine are in pot and also the fact that I grow them at 52 degrees latitude north could be a reason for the absence of any blue collor. But in warmer sunnier parts of the World like California or Southern Europe it would take less long.

Alexander

They start out green and turn to silver with more maturity. From what I can tell it seems to be an adaptation to emergent canopy - they are green when small to grow fast in lower light and turn silver when more mature and more exposed to the elements. They might stay greener longer in more shadier exposure, but that's not been my experience here at 36N.

P.S.

Magnolia dealbata is closely related to Magnolia macrophylla from the Eastern U.S.

Alexander

Excellent.........didn't know about this Magnolia....need to add one to the yard, despite the ginormous leaf litter. Maybe guerrilla plant on the other side of the fence.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil